Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lets talk heart rates

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lets talk heart rates

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-12, 02:42 PM
DropDeadFred

Bikes: 2013 orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lets talk heart rates

So I've been reading up on what my heart rate should be and zone training etc., today I went out on I do pretty regularly when riding. Note: I have been pretty inactive due to work and traveling so much.

Yesterday I rode about half of that trip ending up on the top of a fairly "fun" hill. My BPM hit 203 although my garmin said 202, and it scared it. I didn't feel much different from when I usually rode that hill but I decided to look into it.

My max HR should be 190 according to the calculator, today I rode and hit 190+ on numerous occasions all the way up to 199 on our steepest but shortest hill, which coincidentally is called "cardiac".

Is it possible my max HR is in fact not 190? I have been running in the off season at the hotels for longer distances than I usually run, can you condition yourself to increase your max HR or am I just overdoing it?

I like to push it when I'm riding and get the most out of it rather than ambling around. I don't see any other way to get faster if I'm in zone 4...it was sooooo slooowwww. it seemed like I was in zone 5 a lot. Keep in mind, it was very windy so I had to push harder to maintain 17-20mph
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/164745257
Old 04-04-12, 02:46 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Liked 3,491 Times in 1,831 Posts
god this has been gone over soo many times...

don't believe the calculator, or 220bpm-age or whatever you're working with.
At BEST they're averages.

im 25 and I can go over 200bpm at the drop of a hat, any time.
i've seen 216
my LTHR is 187

and I routinely do 20' intervals at 180-187 bpm
Old 04-04-12, 02:49 PM
StevenAkaProek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea don't believe any calculator. I've hit a max of 204bpm before. The more you ride the stronger your heart will get and the less it will have to work, so your avg and max heart rate will drop.
Old 04-04-12, 02:51 PM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's been said here a billion times, that formula and calculators are bunk. Everyone is completely different. Everyone.

5 people the same fitness level, height, age, weight as you will have 5 totally different MHRs. If you are serious about exercising please do this and forget about the formulas. It will help you in all fitness activities, not just cycling.

Also, google the following and you'll get more than you can ever want to read-------> "site:bikeforums.net max heart rates"
Old 04-04-12, 02:53 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be 40 in August and my max is 206.
Resting is 40 and I can ride in TMonk's average range.

You need to map out [U]your[U] zones and put them on your stem so you know where you are.
Old 04-04-12, 02:54 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
My BPM hit 203...
Is it possible my max HR is in fact not 190?
No. You have exceeded your maximum HR, had a cardiac arrest, and died.
Old 04-04-12, 02:56 PM
zitter

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From using my hrm, the max I've hit is 208 and my threshold is 188, resting is about 70. 20 yrs old

Last edited by zitter; 04-04-12 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-04-12, 02:59 PM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll also add that "zones" are undefined, vague hocus pocus. Your fitness or weight loss does not automatically flip a switch to the next level up or down when you reach 70% or whatever. I'm not going to magically start losing weight because my heart rate went from 160 to 159 which put me in a different "zone." Kind of like fitting parameters like LeMond's .883 (come on, the thousandth's place?) or KOPS. Trying to find hard numbers or benchmarks doesn't work. Our bodies operate on curves, not steps.
Old 04-04-12, 03:01 PM
kv501

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zitter
Front using my hrm, the max I've hit is 208 and my threshold is 188, resting is about 70. 20 yrs old
Then according to the "formula" you should be 12 years old.
Old 04-04-12, 03:01 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
agree that your HR max is not 190. to make your garmin shut up, raise your max to at least 200 for the next ride. maybe 205.

that looks like a fairly solid ride for being out of shape. if you have earlier data, especially on this same route, you can compare.

HR is typically higher when you're out of shape and it will fall more slowly when you rest or decrease intensity. I don't see any weird spikes like when your HR strap is giving bogus readings. Your spikes look like they coincide with climbs.

Do this same ride with some intervals instead of trying to hold 17-20 mph steady. See what your HR looks like when you do six sets of 3 min on / 5 min off.
Old 04-04-12, 03:08 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kv501
It's been said here a billion times, that formula and calculators are bunk. Everyone is completely different. Everyone.

5 people the same fitness level, height, age, weight as you will have 5 totally different MHRs. If you are serious about exercising please do this and forget about the formulas. It will help you in all fitness activities, not just cycling.

Also, google the following and you'll get more than you can ever want to read-------> "site:bikeforums.net max heart rates"
thanks, I figured as much and have even read it on some sites. It just seems like many fitness sites don't recommend it, but it seems like I am just slow if Im in these "zones"
Originally Posted by rkwaki
I will be 40 in August and my max is 206.
Resting is 40 and I can ride in TMonk's average range.

You need to map out [U]your[U] zones and put them on your stem so you know where you are.
thanks
Originally Posted by chasm54
No. You have exceeded your maximum HR, had a cardiac arrest, and died.
lol, I know you can exceed your max, I just didn't know if going so far over was doing any serious harm.
Originally Posted by kv501
I'll also add that "zones" are undefined, vague hocus pocus. Your fitness or weight loss does not automatically flip a switch to the next level up or down when you reach 70% or whatever. I'm not going to magically start losing weight because my heart rate went from 160 to 159 which put me in a different "zone." Kind of like fitting parameters like LeMond's .883 (come on, the thousandth's place?) or KOPS. Trying to find hard numbers or benchmarks doesn't work. Our bodies operate on curves, not steps.
gotchya
Old 04-04-12, 03:09 PM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, your max is not 190. Your max is your max, so if it goes over, that wasn't your max. That 220-age and whatever formulas are out there are horse-****.
Old 04-04-12, 03:10 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
agree that your HR max is not 190. to make your garmin shut up, raise your max to at least 200 for the next ride. maybe 205.

that looks like a fairly solid ride for being out of shape. if you have earlier data, especially on this same route, you can compare.

HR is typically higher when you're out of shape and it will fall more slowly when you rest or decrease intensity. I don't see any weird spikes like when your HR strap is giving bogus readings. Your spikes look like they coincide with climbs.

Do this same ride with some intervals instead of trying to hold 17-20 mph steady. See what your HR looks like when you do six sets of 3 min on / 5 min off.
I got the garmin for christmas so data is limited other than one ride and we were cold and slow as molasses. I'll just continue to document my data, I figure if its consistent it can't be wrong unless my heart is about to explode
Old 04-04-12, 03:12 PM
Rimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your zones are wrong. Do an LTHR run.
Old 04-04-12, 03:15 PM
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, I know you can exceed your max, I just didn't know if going so far over was doing any serious harm.
If you exceed your max, it wasn't your max, lol.
Old 04-04-12, 03:16 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I don't have a garmin but I helped my dad set his up, and I use HR monitoring with my computer (sigma). If you have your HR max set too low on a garmin it's annoying as hell.

You said you did some jogging. I'm guessing you went on jogs that were less than 90 min (this ride, approx.) and were higher than your average HR on this ride and sustained HR up there with your cycling peaks.

Raise to HR max 200 - 205. Keep riding.
Old 04-04-12, 03:20 PM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this:

Warm-up
Ride steady and easy in the warm-up with heart rates at less than 75 percent of maximum for 30 minutes. Near the end of the warm-up, perform one 5-minute (1 x 5 min) effort at 95 percent of what you estimate to be your time trial heart rate. Then perform active recovery-rolling at cadences between 70-85 rpm at < 75 % of maximum heart rate (MHR)-for 5 minutes. (A discussion of MHR follows in the next section.) Next, perform three 1-minute (3 x 1 min) high-cadence (> 100 rpm) efforts in the easiest gear. Perform active recovery for 1 minute between the 1-minute intervals. After the three 1-minute efforts are complete, perform active recovery for 4 minutes.

The field-test
Mark the interval. Starting at 80 rpm, increase the cadence by 2 or 3 rpm or increase your gearing by one gear every 2 minutes. When you cannot hold your cadence for the 2 minutes, perform an all-out sprint for 30 seconds. Look at your heart rate monitor at this point; the value should be a good estimate of your maximum heart rate.

Robert Panzera. Cycling Fast (p. 79). Kindle Edition.
Old 04-04-12, 03:26 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
I don't have a garmin but I helped my dad set his up, and I use HR monitoring with my computer (sigma). If you have your HR max set too low on a garmin it's annoying as hell.

You said you did some jogging. I'm guessing you went on jogs that were less than 90 min (this ride, approx.) and were higher than your average HR on this ride and sustained HR up there with your cycling peaks.

Raise to HR max 200 - 205. Keep riding.
will do, after I do this vvv
Originally Posted by Debusama
Try this:

Warm-up
Ride steady and easy in the warm-up with heart rates at less than 75 percent of maximum for 30 minutes. Near the end of the warm-up, perform one 5-minute (1 x 5 min) effort at 95 percent of what you estimate to be your time trial heart rate. Then perform active recovery-rolling at cadences between 70-85 rpm at < 75 % of maximum heart rate (MHR)-for 5 minutes. (A discussion of MHR follows in the next section.) Next, perform three 1-minute (3 x 1 min) high-cadence (> 100 rpm) efforts in the easiest gear. Perform active recovery for 1 minute between the 1-minute intervals. After the three 1-minute efforts are complete, perform active recovery for 4 minutes.

The field-test
Mark the interval. Starting at 80 rpm, increase the cadence by 2 or 3 rpm or increase your gearing by one gear every 2 minutes. When you cannot hold your cadence for the 2 minutes, perform an all-out sprint for 30 seconds. Look at your heart rate monitor at this point; the value should be a good estimate of your maximum heart rate.

Robert Panzera. Cycling Fast (p. 79). Kindle Edition.
this was helpful...im gonna have trouble printing this out and reading it while riding its a lot to remember. But I'll do it.
Old 04-04-12, 03:26 PM
RUOkie
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
If you are concerned, go to a cardiologist and ask to do a treadmill stress test. Say you want to complete the protocol. (NOT a "modified Burke"). They will figure out a few things, 1) do you have exercise induced ischemia, 2) what your physiologic Max HR is OR 3) that you can't take the pain and bailed out before you hit your Max.

And it will be pain. You will taste blood, want to puke (and possibly will). You will fall on the treadmill (but someone will be there to catch you).

Your true Max HR is the same regardless of sport, but your ability to get close to it will differ from sport to sport.
Old 04-04-12, 03:28 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RUOkie
If you are concerned, go to a cardiologist and ask to do a treadmill stress test. Say you want to complete the protocol. (NOT a "modified Burke"). They will figure out a few things, 1) do you have exercise induced ischemia, 2) what your physiologic Max HR is OR 3) that you can't take the pain and bailed out before you hit your Max.

And it will be pain. You will taste blood, want to puke (and possibly will). You will fall on the treadmill (but someone will be there to catch you).

Your true Max HR is the same regardless of sport, but your ability to get close to it will differ from sport to sport.
definitely havn't felt like that yet...I've gotten slightly lightheaded, but nothing I don't recover from quickly. I tend to back off a little when I get to that point, I'm not afraid to get dropped...I'd rather not pass out on my bike.
Old 04-04-12, 03:31 PM
RUOkie
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
definitely havn't felt like that yet...I've gotten slightly lightheaded, but nothing I don't recover from quickly. I tend to back off a little when I get to that point, I'm not afraid to get dropped...I'd rather not pass out on my bike.
by the way, the young cardiologists I know LOVE to do this with people. (they did mine for free, but I'm a MD too) It is really fun watching somebody suffer by their own choice.
Old 04-04-12, 03:37 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
So I've been reading up on what my heart rate should be and zone training etc., ...

I like to push it when I'm riding and get the most out of it rather than ambling around. I don't see any other way to get faster if I'm in zone 4...it was sooooo slooowwww. it seemed like I was in zone 5 a lot. Keep in mind, it was very windy so I had to push harder to maintain 17-20mph
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/164745257
I don't know what you're reading or what it suggests for training but I have seen some stuff about building up the body's ability to circulate the blood before trying to get faster. The basic premise is this:

Under normal day-to-day conditions our heart doesn't have to pump a lot of blood carrying oxygen to our muscles and carbon dioxide and other wastes away from our muscles. Consequently the cyclist in training (endurance athlete) doesn't have a large capillary network to carry that blood to and from their muscles. By working out at lower heart rates this encourages that blood network to get built so that the cyclist can then have a more efficient network to carry fuel to the muscles and wastes away, letting them go harder longer before reaching that anaerobic threshold.
Old 04-04-12, 03:41 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RUOkie
by the way, the young cardiologists I know LOVE to do this with people. (they did mine for free, but I'm a MD too) It is really fun watching somebody suffer by their own choice.
I can't imagine wanting to do that...not at all..
Originally Posted by vandalarchitect
I don't know what you're reading or what it suggests for training but I have seen some stuff about building up the body's ability to circulate the blood before trying to get faster. The basic premise is this:

Under normal day-to-day conditions our heart doesn't have to pump a lot of blood carrying oxygen to our muscles and carbon dioxide and other wastes away from our muscles. Consequently the cyclist in training (endurance athlete) doesn't have a large capillary network to carry that blood to and from their muscles. By working out at lower heart rates this encourages that blood network to get built so that the cyclist can then have a more efficient network to carry fuel to the muscles and wastes away, letting them go harder longer before reaching that anaerobic threshold.
so ride slower to get faster?
Old 04-04-12, 03:50 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
so ride slower to get faster?
Essentially, yes. You'll eventually see that you need to go faster to keep your HR within the range you're aiming for, that means it's working. Also, this doesn't negate any of the strength training you'd normally be doing like hill repeats, intervals, etc. You still have to train fast to go fast but you'll know that when you do go fast the body can take care of the wastes.
Old 04-04-12, 04:49 PM
DropDeadFred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vandalarchitect
Essentially, yes. You'll eventually see that you need to go faster to keep your HR within the range you're aiming for, that means it's working. Also, this doesn't negate any of the strength training you'd normally be doing like hill repeats, intervals, etc. You still have to train fast to go fast but you'll know that when you do go fast the body can take care of the wastes.
thanks a bunch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.