Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Do you have two (or more) bikes and save the expensive one to avoid crashing it?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Do you have two (or more) bikes and save the expensive one to avoid crashing it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 12:04 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many of you race your $5k+ bikes in crits and short races (20 mi) and how many save those bikes for the longer road races or training rides?

I.e. --the CAAD 9 or 10 with the SRAM Rival and $250 wheels for the crits and the 3 mile x laps race, -- and the Pinarello Dogma2 with Di2 and Zipp 404s for the 65 mile road race.

I ask because I like the idea of racing a bike that I'm more comfortable laying down, but there is another nagging part of me that says that I should just race the high end bike and hope for the best. After all, why have the benefits of the more expensive rig (insert flames here) if it's not under you in the race?

Last edited by island rider; 05-16-12 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-16-12, 12:07 PM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hold on $1K wheels are the budget wheels?
Old 05-16-12, 12:12 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,013 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat
I guess for some people.

Old 05-16-12, 12:13 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat
Compared to the $3k ones sure and compared to the $5k ones certainly, but insert your preferred number for the sake of argument.
Old 05-16-12, 12:15 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fixed it for you, how's $250? But I never said budget, just lower priced than Zipp 404s.

That said, I'm not sure a CAAD 10 would fit as a budget bike these days either depending on who you ask.
Old 05-16-12, 12:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
I have only one race bike. I can race my vintage steelie as a backup (and have), but I only have one set of relatively heavy wheels for it so I'd rather not if possible.
Old 05-16-12, 12:16 PM
notwist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I guess for some people.
hmmm i must lose at cycling b/c i don't even own a pair of matching wheels
Old 05-16-12, 12:19 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notwist
Not if they are the first set of wheels over the line.
Old 05-16-12, 12:24 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,013 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by notwist
When I build the new rims, hubs, and spokes into a wheelset, mine will match. But I've been saying that for 6 months now.

Old 05-16-12, 12:36 PM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a budget Neuvation that is light, sorta aero, sorta stiff, but cheap. That way I can race it in all conditions, and still enjoy it on the training rides. $300 frame replacement ftw. Wheels I run a powertap wheelset, and they can take just about anything and would be cheap to replace (assuming hub is fine). I have another bike that is worth a bit more, but it is my TT bike. Don't have to worry about ruining that unless my dumb arse wrecks it on my own.

I will say this though, bikes are meant to be ridden, and they can take some abuse. Assuming you don't get involved in a super nasty crash, bikes are usually okay in most race crashes. I had a couple bad ones last year, and minus some new bar tape, I didn't have to replace anything. My carbon wheels and frame that I had then came out perfectly fine.
Old 05-16-12, 12:42 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creatre
I will say this though, bikes are meant to be ridden, and they can take some abuse. Assuming you don't get involved in a super nasty crash, bikes are usually okay in most race crashes.
Yeah, that's kind of where my thinking is headed.
Old 05-16-12, 12:47 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
If you think you're more likely to wreck your bike in a crit than a RR...
Old 05-16-12, 12:48 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Liked 944 Times in 623 Posts
I was racing on a $1000 used CAAD8, but now I'll be racing on a slightly used 6-13 frame with new Centaur that cost me a whopping $1200, including budget 50mm carbon tubulars ..... When someone gives me a $5000 bike, I'll let you know. ( I don't think I added anything to the discussion)

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-16-12, 01:12 PM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
Several years ago, I bought a used S-Works alu. frame for $100 off craigslist and built it up with spare parts I had sitting around to serve as my race bike. I think I invested a total of $500 into building it up. I didn't want to risk my nicer bike, a System 6 with Sram Red.

I ended up breaking the S-Works in a crash and replaced it with a Caad 9. But at this point, my nicer bike isn't really any nicer than my Caad 9. Sure, the System 6 frame is half carbon and built up with better parts but I ride the System 6 a lot more, so it has much more wear and tear on it.

And both bikes have been crashed an equal number of times - the System 6 in a fast training ride when a dog ran into the street and took me out and the Caad 9 in a race.

Looking back, I wish I had not replaced the S-Works and just started riding the System 6 in races.
Old 05-16-12, 01:14 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Does anyone use their spare body to race and save their good body for training rides and commuting etc.?
Old 05-16-12, 01:17 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
If you think you're more likely to wreck your bike in a crit than a RR...
You don't? I figure in a crit or circuit race the field stays together a bit longer (at the lower cats) and that's where the danger comes in, where in the longer races the twitchy guys are more likely off the back.

Of course that logic may be completely off base.

Does anyone use their spare body to race and save their good body for training rides and commuting etc.?
...um...
Old 05-16-12, 01:28 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Tyler Hamilton's twin does
Old 05-16-12, 01:40 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
I race on my most expensive equipment. Why else would I buy it?

I have a had a horrible crash on a training ride resulting in an ambulance ride. I have been hit by cars while commuting by bike and knocked down, but fortunately no injuries. I have been taken out by a clueless rider on our local rail trail and have had other numerous close calls.

And I find "fred" charity rides more dangerous than racing.
Old 05-16-12, 01:52 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by island rider
You don't? I figure in a crit or circuit race the field stays together a bit longer
Nope.

(at the lower cats)
More likely at the higher Cats

and that's where the danger comes in, where in the longer races the twitchy guys are more likely off the back.

Of course that logic may be completely off base.
While there may be fewer crashes per mile in road races vs crits (my experience doesn't say that, btw) I'd bet that there are more really bad crashes in road races than crits. At least in crits the course is closed. In road races for us mere mortals it isn't. And in road races you can get high speed descents. It is pretty hard to get a couple of miles of steep descending in a crit.
Old 05-16-12, 01:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
Nope.

More likely at the higher Cats

While there may be fewer crashes per mile in road races vs crits (my experience doesn't say that, btw) I'd bet that there are more really bad crashes in road races than crits. At least in crits the course is closed. In road races for us mere mortals it isn't. And in road races you can get high speed descents. It is pretty hard to get a couple of miles of steep descending in a crit.
I would make that bet too.
Old 05-16-12, 01:56 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I'd bet that there are more really bad crashes in road races than crits....And in road races you can get high speed descents. It is pretty hard to get a couple of miles of steep descending in a crit.
Good point. Probably right.
Old 05-16-12, 02:16 PM
brianappleby
Senior Member?

Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a specialized Allez ($400 aluminum frame) and a Cevelo SLC (the precursor to the S2).

I race the Allez in crits and in the rain. I won a race on it (a rainy RR). That said, I'd still rather ride the SLC and I do in "A" races and training rides on it when the weather is nice.
Old 05-16-12, 02:25 PM
saratoga

Bikes: ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only reason I even have two road bikes is that I've been too lazy to sell the old one.

...and I'd use my spare body for racing if it was in shape.
Old 05-16-12, 02:27 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love it

I ride what I got and if I crash it I'll curse a bunch and then get another frame and move on...

BTW I've had a spare bike/bad weather bike and all they have done is sat around collecting dust. I just tend to ride the main race bike all the time. The spare bike gets most of it's use on the trainer over the winter and I actually just sold it to fund a new team bike. The bad weather bike is now reserved for trainer duty and the current race bike will eventually get hung up and collect dust just like the old spare bike.
Old 05-16-12, 02:30 PM
grolby

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If you're going to buy an expensive bike and not race it, do yourself a favor and don't bother buying it at all. Spend the money on a nice vacation instead. F "crit bikes." F "rain bikes." You're not more likely to wreck your bike in a crit, and it won't melt in the rain. If you're so concerned about crashing because of wet roads, you're probably better off riding the nice one - the hyper-anxiety about crashing it might make you less likely to hotdog a wet bend than you would on the cheap bike. And besides, if there's any difference in the handling, I would much rather be on the bike I ride day in and day out than one I only pull out for "sketchy" races. That's just common sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.