Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

bicyclist hit by shot, then shot to death in LA

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

bicyclist hit by shot, then shot to death in LA

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 07:12 PM
Surfer34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bicyclist hit by car, then shot to death in LA

https://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=8678023

KOREATOWN, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One bicyclist was shot dead and another was wounded in Koreatown on Saturday afternoon

I eat right next to this all the time. Well, I mean I used to. LA sucks so bad I moved.

Last edited by Surfer34; 05-26-12 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-26-12, 07:18 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I guess they took the joke about it being more expensive to maim someone with a car than to kill the person a bit too seriously. Stories like this are really unsettling, especially since I live in a state where several counties, including mine, are all-but-eliminating sheriff's patrols.
Old 05-26-12, 07:31 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do the police have any idea as to what the motive was behind the shootings?
Old 05-26-12, 07:36 PM
Surfer34

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Do the police have any idea as to what the motive was behind the shootings?
If I had to guess its probably more gang related than two guys in spandex riding their carbon specialized bikes. The area in question isnt the best area.
Old 05-26-12, 08:24 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is extremely brutal. I would certainly avoid that area. Everytime I think I would like to see the death penalty abolished, something like this happens.
Old 05-26-12, 09:10 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikepro
That is extremely brutal. I would certainly avoid that area. Everytime I think I would like to see the death penalty abolished, something like this happens.
+1000
Old 05-26-12, 09:21 PM
1FJEF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto
Old 05-26-12, 09:22 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I curious to know if this incident was due to road rage, or gang related with rivals who just happen to be riding bicycles at the time.
Old 05-26-12, 09:58 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer34
If I had to guess its probably more gang related than two guys in spandex riding their carbon specialized bikes. The area in question isn't the best area.
Reading the linked article that was my first thought, "Is this gang related?"

It's sad when reading a story like this that we think gang.
Old 05-26-12, 10:31 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I had to guess its probably more gang related than two guys in spandex riding their carbon specialized bikes. The area in question isnt the best area.
While I don't live in Los Angeles, I am not quick to judge what happened, as a result of the supposed gang hostility in the given neighborhood. When I read the story at ABC7(Los Angeles)'s website, the thing that came to mind, was the hostility towards cyclists'. Because, While the car hit the cyclist, it didn't seem like it was intentional. Yet, When the car's passenger got out and killed the first cyclist by shooting them after 'supposedly' unintentionally hitting them, to me that screamed hostility towards cyclists'. Not like the cyclists' were 'marked' for being 'taken care of' as is so often the case in gang retaliations.
Old 05-26-12, 11:21 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Los Angeles, gang or drug dealer competition related is a reasonable guess.
Old 05-26-12, 11:32 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
While I don't live in Los Angeles, I am not quick to judge what happened, as a result of the supposed gang hostility in the given neighborhood. When I read the story at ABC7(Los Angeles)'s website, the thing that came to mind, was the hostility towards cyclists'. Because, While the car hit the cyclist, it didn't seem like it was intentional. Yet, When the car's passenger got out and killed the first cyclist by shooting them after 'supposedly' unintentionally hitting them, to me that screamed hostility towards cyclists'. Not like the cyclists' were 'marked' for being 'taken care of' as is so often the case in gang retaliations.
Are you suggesting that you don't think that it's possible for gangs to use bikes to transport drugs? In a story that was linked to here, I think that that might have been part of the cops reasoning for stopping a kid on a bicycle on the trail in a "bad" part of Tampa.
Old 05-26-12, 11:32 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Like I said, how said is it that most of us were thinking along those lines when we read this?
Old 05-26-12, 11:35 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I would expect, if it were road rage, it'd be more likely for the driver to have gotten out and shot the guy.
That it was the passenger who got out and fired seems to suggest something more premeditated than road rage.
Old 05-27-12, 12:03 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you suggesting that you don't think that it's possible for gangs to use bikes to transport drugs? In a story that was linked to here, I think that that might have been part of the cops reasoning for stopping a kid on a bicycle on the trail in a "bad" part of Tampa.
While transportation of illegal drugs by bicycle is certainly plausible. I don't think that and/or gang activity was the reason for the cyclist being killed. At least from what I read in story.
Old 05-27-12, 12:07 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like I said, how said is it that most of us were thinking along those lines when we read this?
Yes. The story from the station's news department, just didn't make sense for the situation to be absolutely gang or drug-related. Because, Like I had mentioned before, for it to be gang-related, there would have already been a 'price' on the head of the cyclist that was killed.
Old 05-27-12, 12:10 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mos6502
I would expect, if it were road rage, it'd be more likely for the driver to have gotten out and shot the guy.
That it was the passenger who got out and fired seems to suggest something more premeditated than road rage.
Agreed. But not gang, or drug-related. At the same time, I do think that 'road rage' deserves some element of consideration, due to the circumstances.
Old 05-27-12, 12:30 AM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
you are an idiot! Do you really take Hollywood stereotypes as accurate representations of reality?? No, this was not drug or gang related. Sounds more like road rage and hostility towards cyclists.
Old 05-27-12, 01:17 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mos6502
Agreed, that it was the passenger and not the driver shooting at not only the downed cyclist but the fleeing cyclist suggests that there is more here than meets the eye. And that it probably goes beyond road rage.

While transportation of illegal drugs by bicycle is certainly plausible. I don't think that and/or gang activity was the reason for the cyclist being killed. At least from what I read in story.
If you had to speculate, then what do you think was the reason? Road rage alone also does not make sense. As if it was road rage, then wouldn't it make more sense that it would have been the driver who got out and not the passenger?

Yes. The story from the station's news department, just didn't make sense for the situation to be absolutely gang or drug-related. Because, Like I had mentioned before, for it to be gang-related, there would have already been a 'price' on the head of the cyclist that was killed.
How do you know that there wasn't? Normal people do not shot at the people they hit or almost hit. The now former firefighter (I forget now where he was from) aside, and he shot at the father because use "advice" was ignored.

Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me if this does turn out to be either drug and/or gang related.
Old 05-27-12, 01:19 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by SurlyLaika
you are an idiot! Do you really take Hollywood stereotypes as accurate representations of reality?? No, this was not drug or gang related. Sounds more like road rage and hostility towards cyclists.
That type of crap happens all the time in LA. Has nothing to do with movie stereotypes. Passengers do not get out and shoot 2 cyclist because the driver is road raging.

They have shot people for just turning down the wrong road into a dead end.

There was a trucker once that repeatedly got hit, stomped on and a brick thrown against his head on live TV. Maybe you missed that.

So stop posting foolish name calling.

PS - I thought I remembered your forum name, you are the guy that did not even know road wheels are also sized in 26", and you are calling me an idiot?

Last edited by CB HI; 05-27-12 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-27-12, 01:25 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Agreed. But not gang, or drug-related. At the same time, I do think that 'road rage' deserves some element of consideration, due to the circumstances.
If it had been the driver I could agree with you, but given that it was the passenger I think that drugs, or gang, or irate husband/boyfriend/lover makes more sense.

Originally Posted by SurlyLaika
Did any of you who think that this is a "simple case of road rage" actually watch the video embedded in the article? The police are saying that this was a DELIBERATE attack. And that the white SUV was CHASING the bicycle. And that according to one witness there were some 17 shots fired.

I don't know about those of you who are saying that this was a case of "road rage," but to me that says that there is something else going on here that we do not yet know about.
Old 05-27-12, 03:31 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it had been the driver I could agree with you, but given that it was the passenger I think that drugs, or gang, or irate husband/boyfriend/lover makes more sense.
Maybe, But I don't think an irate husband/boyfriend/lover would put out a contract killing for this. When two cyclists' where shot.

Did any of you who think that this is a "simple case of road rage" actually watch the video embedded in the article? The police are saying that this was a DELIBERATE attack. And that the white SUV was CHASING the bicycle. And that according to one witness there were some 17 shots fired.

I don't know about those of you who are saying that this was a case of "road rage," but to me that says that there is something else going on here that we do not yet know about.
I hadn't originally noticed the multiple shots and being chased. But, Since two cyclists' were shot, killing one, it sounds like something more sinister than gang-on-gang violence.

If you had to speculate, then what do you think was the reason? Road rage alone also does not make sense. As if it was road rage, then wouldn't it make more sense that it would have been the driver who got out and not the passenger?

How do you know that there wasn't? Normal people do not shot at the people they hit or almost hit. The now former firefighter (I forget now where he was from) aside, and he shot at the father because use "advice" was ignored.

Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me if this does turn out to be either drug and/or gang related.
I am still not totally convinced that it was gang-related, aside from the fact that there were three perps n' two victims.

The one deceased cyclist was asian, but the race of the other cyclist or the perps, was not mentioned. Asian gangs displaced African-American gangs some years ago for being the most dangerous.
Old 05-27-12, 10:38 AM
Surfer34

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is definetly NOT a case of road rage/hostility towards cyclists.
Old 05-27-12, 10:42 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
This is definetly NOT a case of road rage/hostility towards cyclists.
OK, provide a link or any evidence that it's not.
Old 05-27-12, 10:46 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe, But I don't think an irate husband/boyfriend/lover would put out a contract killing for this. When two cyclists' where shot.
Sadly, I have read/heard stories about husbands/boyfriends that have taken out "contracts" on their wives/girlfriends/boyfriends and likewise there have been stories in the news of women doing the same. Anything is within the realm of possibility.

I hadn't originally noticed the multiple shots and being chased. But, Since two cyclists' were shot, killing one, it sounds like something more sinister than gang-on-gang violence.
That two cyclists were chased and shot at I would say that it rules out the irate lover aspect of things. How do we/you know that this isn't some new gang related initiation rite?

I am still not totally convinced that it was gang-related, aside from the fact that there were three perps n' two victims.

The one deceased cyclist was Asian, but the race of the other cyclist or the perps, was not mentioned. Asian gangs displaced African-American gangs some years ago for being the most dangerous.
I'm sorry, but the odds and the facts that they were apparently chasing the deceased cyclist suggests something more sinister than "simple road rage." Hopefully you're right and those of us who are thinking that this might be gang related are wrong. But the circumstantial evidence does point to a possible gang related activity.

Where do you get that the first victim was an Asian? I can't find it mentioned in the article nor do I think that it was mentioned in the video. About the only thing in the video that suggests race is the cyclists name. But it is wrong to assume based on his name that he is/was Asian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.