Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My stolen bike recovered. Now I need to decide which one to keep!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-12, 08:18 PM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

My stolen 2008 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 was recovered (it was found the night it was stolen, but sat in the police warehouse for 13 months because they didn't bother to make a phone call until last week).

So now I have a 2008 and also the 2011 version I replaced it with (also a Synapse Carbon 5), and need to keep one of them.

For some reason, the 2008 Shimano 5600 105 groupset seems to shift way smoother than the 2011 Shimano 5700 groupset. The new stuff looks prettier because of hidden cables, but is the old stuff better by chance? It is silky butter compared to the clunky new stuff.

2011 frame is lighter-- somewhere between 0.5 and 1 pound. Probably because of the BB30 bottom bracket (w/ FSA Gossamer Pro) rather than the 2008 BB with out-board bearings.

My 2008 looks better to me (due to the colors). But it was involved in a nice car collision in 2009-- bike shop gave the frame a clean bill of health and has the slightest tiny mark from that collision but nothing else.

Am I crazy to keep the 2008 and unload the 2011?
Old 05-26-12, 08:20 PM
fstshrk

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Which one would you prefer to ride? Keep that one, and then ditch the other one
Old 05-26-12, 08:21 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope.

plus you'll get more for the 2011 then the 2008 if you try to sell one of them.
Old 05-26-12, 08:22 PM
Oregonboy109

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would swap the groupsets and get the best of both.
Old 05-26-12, 08:24 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dnuzzomueller has a point. People would much rather have the newer model. Visual is a big thing for a lot of people. I'm eyeing a new bike myself, and I've pretty much come to terms that I'll have to strip and repaint it to make it how I want.
Old 05-26-12, 08:53 PM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ppg677
For some reason, the 2008 Shimano 5600 105 groupset seems to shift way smoother than the 2011 Shimano 5700 groupset. The new stuff looks prettier because of hidden cables, but is the old stuff better by chance? It is silky butter compared to the clunky new stuff.
FWIW, thats a recurring complaint with DuraAce as well when it went to hidden cables from 7800 to 7900. I dont mind the exposed cables myself, and would opt for the better shifting setup.
Old 05-26-12, 08:54 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any carbon framed bike that's been in a collision, absorbed some stress forces from the impact, that may have compromised the integrity of the underlying carbon fiber matrix. Depending upon how severe the impact was, determines the amount of stress to which the frame was subjected. All carbon frames have the ability to conceal damage due to impact.

I personally would no longer be interested in a carbon fiber framed bike that had been involved in an accident. I'd keep the new Synapse and sell the older version. I would then seriously upgrade my new Synapse for a much smoother ride.
Old 05-26-12, 09:18 PM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Any carbon framed bike that's been in a collision, absorbed some stress forces from the impact, that may have compromised the integrity of the underlying carbon fiber matrix. Depending upon how severe the impact was, determines the amount of stress to which the frame was subjected. All carbon frames have the ability to conceal damage due to impact.

I personally would no longer be interested in a carbon fiber framed bike that had been involved in an accident. I'd keep the new Synapse and sell the older version. I would then seriously upgrade my new Synapse for a much smoother ride.
I was a bit spooked riding the bike in the weeks after the collision (after the bike shop said it was fine). I ended up riding the bike from 2009 on through 2011 (when it was stolen).

I get the impression that this is a very very strong frame (and my body took the impact). It is the high-modulus stuff, engineered for ultra-lightweight, that is brittle. These lower-end, low-modulus carbon frames are just as heavy as an aluminum or steel frame. They are wicked strong.

Of course I could be wrong. I could sell my 2011 bike. Start riding the 2008 bike and suffer a catastrophic frame failure while descending at 40 miles-per-hour.
Old 05-26-12, 09:22 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was a bit spooked riding the bike in the weeks after the collision (after the bike shop said it was fine). I ended up riding the bike from 2009 on through 2011 (when it was stolen).

I get the impression that this is a very very strong frame (and my body took the impact). It is the high-modulus stuff, engineered for ultra-lightweight, that is brittle. These lower-end, low-modulus carbon frames are just as heavy as an aluminum or steel frame. They are wicked strong.

Of course I could be wrong. I could sell my 2011 bike. Start riding the 2008 bike and suffer a catastrophic frame failure while descending at 40 miles-per-hour.
I'll gladly gamble with my money! I'd never intentionally gamble with my life!

PS.

As seller, you can easily prove that your bike was stolen and recovered the following day. You can also prove that the bike has just been sitting in the police warehouse for over a year. Therefore, it was not ridden. In terms of ware and tear, the bike is essentially just three years old.

I believe that this fact will impress a buyer...

Besides, why would you sell the better frame from which you will obtain the optimum benefit?

Last edited by SlimRider; 05-26-12 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-26-12, 09:28 PM
ppg677

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'll gladly gamble with my money! I'd never intentionally gamble with my life!
I hear ya. I'd rather ride this frame with Aluminum steerer and handlebars, than a new frame with CF steerer tube and bars.

bustedcarbon.com

And I won't go near CF spokes!
Old 05-26-12, 10:54 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear ya. I'd rather ride this frame with Aluminum steerer and handlebars, than a new frame with CF steerer tube and bars.

bustedcarbon.com

And I won't go near CF spokes!
Alternatively, you could just sell both bikes and get this:

The Jamis Quest ~ $1800
www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/quest/12_quest.html

That's 631 chromoly!

PS.

Now you can ride in peace and never have to worry about concealed frame damage or limited stress cycles. Plus, the Quest is very light and easy to accelerate.

Last edited by SlimRider; 05-26-12 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-26-12, 11:56 PM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The Jamis Quest ~ $1800

That's 631 chromoly!

PS.

Now you can ride in peace and never have to worry about concealed frame damage or limited stress cycles. Plus, the Quest is very light and easy to accelerate.
So bike forums.

Q: I have two bikes, A and B, but can only keep one. Should I keep bike A or B?
A: Sell both, buy C.
Old 05-27-12, 12:04 AM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My stolen 2008 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 was recovered (it was found the night it was stolen, but sat in the police warehouse for 13 months because they didn't bother to make a phone call until last week).
How did they know who to call?
Old 05-27-12, 12:46 AM
Mondo734

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Zipppy He must have had his bike registered with the local police department. When you do this they have all your and the bikes info on file.

As for the OP's question I would ride the 2008 for a while (and be a little rougher than normal) and if it holds up ok then keep that one an sell the 2011. Unless there is no doubt in your mind that the 2008 is solid and have no questions about its integrity.

P.S. Did your insurance replace the stolen bike?
Old 05-27-12, 12:59 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Liked 219 Times in 132 Posts
Keep them both. Your bikes will get stolen again. If you have room, keep them both.
Old 05-27-12, 01:06 AM
1FJEF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can afford it keep both. If not keep the newer. It's lighter & maybe safer.
Old 05-27-12, 01:17 AM
RobertL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Jamis Quest ~ $1800

That's 631 chromoly!

PS.

That is a handsome bike!
Old 05-27-12, 04:38 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev
So bike forums.

That's the beauty of Bike Forums!

... Sometimes, after opinions have been fully expressed, the alternatives seem to expand. In doing so, more degrees of freedom are realized.
Old 05-27-12, 07:36 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Another vote for keeping the two bikes. However, if you are like me, you'll find yourself riding one more than the other to where one bike sits and collects dust.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-27-12, 07:49 AM
ppg677

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo734
@Zipppy He must have had his bike registered with the local police department. When you do this they have all your and the bikes info on file.

As for the OP's question I would ride the 2008 for a while (and be a little rougher than normal) and if it holds up ok then keep that one an sell the 2011. Unless there is no doubt in your mind that the 2008 is solid and have no questions about its integrity.

P.S. Did your insurance replace the stolen bike?
Yes. Insurance company technically owns the '08 bike. I did, in fact, call my insurance agent several days ago. It was incredibly awkward. He said something along the lines of "in 34 years, nobody has ever called me about something like this". He said he wasn't really sure what to do and that I should just call him back in a few weeks. My interpretation in reading between the lines: don't call back. I feel like I did my morally obliged thing by telling the insurance agent, who clearly didn't want to deal with the situation. Thus regardless, I won't be doing anything with the '08 bike for several weeks in case he calls me saying "yeah, put the bike in a box and ship it to us".
Old 05-27-12, 08:00 AM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would keep both.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 05-27-12, 08:39 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oregonboy109
I would swap the groupsets and get the best of both.

**we gave a winner!!!***
Old 05-27-12, 09:00 AM
robotkiller

Bikes: Turner Czar, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev
So bike forums.

This is correct
Old 05-27-12, 10:08 AM
ppg677

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

The Jamis Quest ~ $1800

That's 631 chromoly!

PS.

Ha. My co-worker's steel LeMond frame just failed 5 weeks ago on a ride. The dropout busted off the rear chain-stay. Luckily she didn't get hurt.

I like steel. I also ride a Surly Long Haul Trucker. But all materials can fail. Steel does not have magical failure resiliency.

If I go with steel for my next road bike, it will be a Waterford or a Gunnar!
Old 05-27-12, 10:23 AM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ha. My co-worker's steel LeMond frame just failed 5 weeks ago on a ride. The dropout busted off the rear chain-stay. Luckily she didn't get hurt.

I like steel. I also ride a Surly Long Haul Trucker. But all materials can fail. Steel does not have magical failure resiliency.

If I go with steel for my next road bike, it will be a Waterford or a Gunnar!
i can only imagine slims sheer excitement and giddiness during discussion with other people that were somewhat wary of carbon and liked steel...only to be shattered with this comment above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.