Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rawland rSogn discontinued?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 02:57 PM
nikita_r

Bikes: Voodoo Wazoo and Bianchi San Jose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,
Does anyone know if there is going to be another run of Rawland rSogn?
I tried to ask them directly through the "contact us" link on their website but received no response.
Old 06-20-12, 04:06 PM
tacreamer
Go Ride

Bikes: Enough +1

Liked 103 Times in 21 Posts
Check the blog: https://www.rawlandcycles.blogspot.com/

I believe another run is scheduled or is already in production.
Old 06-20-12, 05:04 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Yeah, I bet Sean is trying to consolidate shipment from Taiwan on both the rSogn and his new Nordavinden scheduled for delivery early this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if his stock is replenished within the next month.
Old 06-20-12, 06:16 PM
nikita_r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the replies. I hope they did not discontinue this frameset.
Old 06-20-12, 07:15 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Originally Posted by nikita_r
thanks for the replies. I hope they did not discontinue this frameset.
Nah! He's just starting to cash in in the success of this frameset. On his blog, he talks about being on vacation in MN so he might be behind on his emails. BTW, are you planning on using the rSogn for touring?
Old 06-21-12, 12:23 AM
nikita_r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
Nah! He's just starting to cash in in the success of this frameset. On his blog, he talks about being on vacation in MN so he might be behind on his emails. BTW, are you planning on using the rSogn for touring?
Yes I was planning to build a tourer that can haul both front and rear load. My Miyata is gone so I need a substitute. I've been reading cool things about 650b and low trail geo, so I decided to give it a try
Old 07-19-12, 02:56 PM
boatsinbottles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you ever hear back? I've written Sean several times and he's been responsive and even shared some information that surprised me a little.

From my inquiries, he probably is not doing another rSogn run. Instead, there's an Anniversary model that should be announced soon. He's active on the Rawland Google Group (called rCog).

If you're doing serious touring, though, I'd think twice about 650B, unless you're bringing your own spares. Shred a tire or taco a rim in the middle of nowhere and every shop will have 26" or 700C, but outside of a few 650B hotspots, finding a replacement will be difficult or impossible.

Granted, no other tire I've ridden rides like then Hetre.
Old 07-19-12, 03:23 PM
Chris Pringle

Originally Posted by boatsinbottles

If you're doing serious touring, though, I'd think twice about 650B, unless you're bringing your own spares. Shred a tire or taco a rim in the middle of nowhere and every shop will have 26" or 700C, but outside of a few 650B hotspots, finding a replacement will be difficult or impossible.
Concur about 650b not being optimal for touring due to lack of easy replacements. Some 650b frames will allow fitting 26" wheels/tires, but need to insure you have brake calipers/pads than can be easily adjusted. Many people prefer mechanical disc brakes for these purposes of switching between wheel sizes.
Old 07-19-12, 03:29 PM
positron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overblown concern. IMO

The tires I ride on any (tire) size bike are always mailorder anyway. I have 26, 650B, 700c currently. There isnt a single shop in Denver with schwalbe marathon supremes in 26", for example. It would be easier to get a hetre up in boulder, actually.

Try to find a touring weight 700c tire in Durango CO. Cyclocross race tire sure, touring tire, nope (ask me how I know). Will it allow you to continue to limp along, yes. Will you have to mail order your next schwalbe anyway?... probably.

And if you want narrow 700c road rims in 28h config in stock at an LBS, you'll find them. But try to find a 36H velocity dyad (or similar) in any ol' bike shop. Not gonna happen most places. Seriously, call five LBS' in *your* town and see what 700c rims are actually in stock. How many would you want to rebuild your rear touring wheel with for another thousand miles on a trans am? you CAN build a 28H rim to a 36H hub, but I wouldnt.

Not saying 650B is just as convenient to get hold of, it is not. But in reality, neither is most of the robust touring-style 700c or 26 inch stuff either. In the middle of nowhere you're lucky to find a bike shop period. It probably wont have the rim that you want to use to rebuild your touring wheel though. These days the internet (or special order at an LBS) is probably whats going to be required regardless.

Id not hesitate to USA tour on my 650B bikes, I would carry a backup tire (folding, 400g). Ive never had a rim explode or taco so I don't worry about it regardless of tire size. Build it right the first time with modern components and the dread-taco is very unlikely...
Old 07-19-12, 07:31 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
Earlier Sean told me in an email that another run of rSogns was due in the fall.
Old 07-23-12, 02:17 PM
nikita_r

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boatsinbottles
Did you ever hear back?
I did actually. Chris Pringle was right: Sean was on vacation.

He told me that he has no plans for the second run of rSogn. He also said that there is going to be an Anniversary model, and that he will share details later.

I agree with positron on touring on 650b. Besides, trying unusual equipment for touring is part of the fun. I always envy people who dare to go touring with their penny-farthing bikes.