Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

notched steering feel when turning the handlebar on stand (GMC Denali)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 11:43 PM
gsus

Bikes: 2009 GT GTR Series 4 & 2011 Trek FX7.6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just noticed that the handlebars don't glide smoothly from left to right or right to left on my 09 GMC Denali. They seem to settle into a spot every few degrees. Any ideas on why this may be and what options I may have?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-12, 11:57 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It means your headset (the bearings that the fork turns on) is worn out. It prefers to settle into set positions because the ball bearings are finding little worn out dimples in the bearing surfaces to rest in.

You can go to an LBS and have them install a new headset, but the job will run in the neighborhood of 65$. Considering that this is a significant proportion of the bike's monetary value, you may be better off noticing that many other areas of the bike are also worn out and that its cheaper to just buy a new bike.
Old 07-10-12, 06:28 AM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
This probably occurred due to a poorly adjusted headset (either too tight or too loose).

If the bearings are in a retaining ring, you can replace them with loose balls. You will be able to fit more loose balls than are in the retaining ring so this will lessen the indexed steering effect since not all balls will be in the existing dimples.

You could also try to rotate very slightly the crown race on your fork to offset those dimples from the ones on the cone race in the top of the headtube. But this would require some special tools to pop off the crown race and re-seat it on the fork. I have never tried this so I don't know how effective it is.

Mild indexed steering isn't a big deal. My old MTB developed indexed steering and I rode it that way for at least 10 years before replacing the headset.
Old 07-10-12, 03:01 PM
Lawrence08648
Advisor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can do nothing or you can remove, clean, and regrease, and everything will be fine again. You don't need to replace the headset.
Old 07-10-12, 03:14 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I would not guarantee that at all. Gonzo Bob's post is accurate.
Old 07-10-12, 04:47 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 38 Posts
A typical headset that is adjusted too tight will do this. Or it could be that the headset races have worn or otherwise been damaged so that the race tracks are no longer smooth. Or it may have even cracked a race if you ride fairly extremely.

The only way to tell for sure is to pull off the stem, drop the fork out and clean then closely inspect the headset races and bearing balls. If everything checks out as OK then likely it was simply adjusted too tight. Re-grease and set the preload so that you lose any slop and then then go for just a hair more preload so that the races do not come loose when loaded. You want to feel a little preload drag but it should be smooth with no notchiness or cogging like feel.
Old 07-10-12, 07:14 PM
gsus

Bikes: 2009 GT GTR Series 4 & 2011 Trek FX7.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all of the helpful input. I just acquired this bike not too long ago and I've already replaced the bottom bracket, the wheels (with spares that I had from my GT road bike), the chain and crankset, and I've also replaced the annoying grip shifters... clearly, I don't mind getting my hands dirty. I was told by the PO that bike did sit out last winter (which is why I replaced the drivetrain).

With that said, I will disassemble the front steering hardware to see if there are any cracks or unsmooth race tracks. The notches don't really bother me much, but if it's something fixable I don't mind doing it.

Thanks again!