Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bikes: Low braking potential

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 07:32 AM
Noize4

Bikes: ‘16 Domane 4.6 Disc, ‘17 Bianchi Impulso S-Sport, ‘12 Giant Escape 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure I'm going to answer my own question, but I'm putting it out there anyway.

In performance car world, a sports car is lightweight, fast, decent handling, and has great stopping power.
In performance bike world, a road bike is lightweight, fast, decent handling, and has poor stopping power.

Why do road bikes generally come equipped with (relatively) poor brakes? Is it because 23mm tires are so narrow that they would lock too easily and skid, thus throwing you off the bike?

My road bike humiliates my hybrid in all things performance, except braking. From a 15mph stop, my cheap hybrid will stop in an infinitely shorter distance than my road bike. V brakes and 32mm tire contact patch for the win in emergency stops, I guess.

Road bike brakes seem to slow more than stop. Unfortunately where I ride, there is automobile traffic, and although I can plan a bit ahead to brake in normal riding, some extra stopping power in an emergency situation would be welcome. What brake upgrades can I do to my Trek 2.1 to increase stopping power without over-increasing it?

Thanks
Old 08-03-12, 07:46 AM
Matt Gaunt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Riding in any city is all about planning ahead and the more you ride, the better you will be at doing this. It's a pretty risky tactic to rely on the brakes to get you out of a situation. Better to avoid the situation altogether by riding smarter.

I ride 20 miles of solid city traffic in London every weekday on my fixed-wheel road bike (two brakes) which has vitually no stopping prowess whatsoever (even compared to my geared roadies), so I know that it's possible!

All the best.
Old 08-03-12, 07:58 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,247 Times in 1,509 Posts
Something isn't right. Either your road brakes aren's os good, need adjustments, or new pads. Kool Stop or something comparable make a big difference. Your road bike should stop much, much quicker than your hybrid
Old 08-03-12, 07:58 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize4
I'm pretty sure I'm going to answer my own question, but I'm putting it out there anyway.

In performance car world, a sports car is lightweight, fast, decent handling, and has great stopping power.
In performance bike world, a road bike is lightweight, fast, decent handling, and has poor stopping power.

Why do road bikes generally come equipped with (relatively) poor brakes? Is it because 23mm tires are so narrow that they would lock too easily and skid, thus throwing you off the bike?

My road bike humiliates my hybrid in all things performance, except braking. From a 15mph stop, my cheap hybrid will stop in an infinitely shorter distance than my road bike. V brakes and 32mm tire contact patch for the win in emergency stops, I guess.

Road bike brakes seem to slow more than stop. Unfortunately where I ride, there is automobile traffic, and although I can plan a bit ahead to brake in normal riding, some extra stopping power in an emergency situation would be welcome. What brake upgrades can I do to my Trek 2.1 to increase stopping power without over-increasing it?

Thanks
I can't figure out what you're talking about. The brakes on my road bike have more stopping power than the tires do. Perhaps yours need adjusting.
Old 08-03-12, 08:05 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
just save your money for a disc brake roubaix.
Old 08-03-12, 08:15 AM
jimc101

Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by nhluhr
I can't figure out what you're talking about. The brakes on my road bike have more stopping power than the tires do. Perhaps yours need adjusting.
Agree, modern road bike brakes are generally awesome stoppers in the dry (the wet can be a different matter). Regardless of what type of brakes you have on a bike, its all about planning / looking ahead to pick you braking point / avoiding the need to brake in the first place.

For the OP's bike, if it still has the stock brakes, would look at replacing the pads with a better type, like Koolstop Salmon, Shimano R55C3 or Swissstop Green, as this should improve your brakes from their current performance.
Old 08-03-12, 08:23 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Yes, a larger contact patch leads to decreased stopping distance. Road tires do not have the contact patch that hybrids have. It's a fact of life. The brakes already have more stopping power than the contact patch can handle.

Solution: ride fast, don't slow down.

Old 08-03-12, 08:44 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Your hybrid almost certainly has v-brakes. They are linear pull, and thus have significantly greater mechanical advantage than calipers.

A handful of road bikes are now using disc brakes; we'll see more of that in a few years. Disc has its pros and cons. Pro: More powerful, more MA, better modulation, work better in adverse conditions, fairly easy to maintain. Cons: Heavier, less aerodynamic, forks and chainstays need to be beefier, less latitude with component choices, risk of brake fade if improper technique is used.

That said, roadies have used calipers for a long time with few issues. Once you adapt, you'll be fine.
Old 08-03-12, 08:46 AM
SCochiller
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize4

From a 15mph stop, my cheap hybrid will stop in an infinitely shorter distance than my road bike.

Thanks
Uh, no. Your hybrid cannot stop in zero distance.
Old 08-03-12, 08:48 AM
ne_dan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learn to brake, if your skidding you're using too much rear brake or have your weight to far forward
Old 08-03-12, 09:08 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bigger tires = better stopping. A bike with V-Brakes and 32s will always outstop a road bike with 23s, no matter the quality of its brakes.

If you want your road bike to stop faster, put bigger tires on it.

That being said, if you can't effortlessly lock up the wheels on your road bike, follow some of these previous suggestions. Something is amiss.
Old 08-03-12, 09:11 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
I vote for adjusting the brakes. That bike is spec'd with 105 brake calipers, which give you plenty of stopping power.

If you get them adjusted, and they still aren't stopping as you'd like, upgrade the pads to swiss stops or kool stops.

Also, there's a technique issue here. You need to shift your weight back as far as possible to get maximum braking. For a panic stop, chest on seat, butt cantilevered over the rear tire.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-03-12, 09:17 AM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
One other thing that can degrade stopping on an otherwise properly set up bike is over inflating your tires. You're not one of those 140lb fellows riding around with your tires at 140psi, are you?
Old 08-03-12, 09:18 AM
Trakhak

Liked 3,262 Times in 1,859 Posts
It's not the brakes or the tires. It's the wheelbase. The brakes on almost any road bike, regardless of tire width, brake design or brake pad material, or anything else, are capable of throwing you over the handlebars if you're not careful. The shorter the wheelbase, the easier it is to do an endo. Thus, nothing you do can make your road bike, or any short-wheelbase bike, safer for panic stops. For riding in city traffic, stick with your hybrid for safe braking.

Last edited by Trakhak; 08-03-12 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-03-12, 09:19 AM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your brakes are out of adjustment or you have poor technique.

Your braking distance should be traction limited above all else.
Old 08-03-12, 09:27 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
A few people suggested disc brakes. I've run them for years. When it's wet - and it's wet a lot here - they're far and away better. You don't have to "wipe down" the rims with the pads before you can stop. But when it's dry, I don't think you could tell the difference between properly adjusted dual pivot rim brakes and disc brakes in a double blind test.
Old 08-03-12, 09:30 AM
AndyB.

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I vote for adjusting the brakes. That bike is spec'd with 105 brake calipers, which give you plenty of stopping power.

If you get them adjusted, and they still aren't stopping as you'd like, upgrade the pads to swiss stops or kool stops.

Also, there's a technique issue here. You need to shift your weight back as far as possible to get maximum braking. For a panic stop, chest on seat, butt cantilevered over the rear tire.
The 2.1 doesn't have 105 brakes, the 2.3 does. I'm guessing Tektro with cheap pads.
Old 08-03-12, 09:31 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 769 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
It's not the brakes or the tires. It's the wheelbase. The brakes on almost any road bike, regardless of tire width, brake design or brake pad material, or anything else, are capable of throwing you over the handlebars if you're not careful. The shorter the wheelbase, the easier it is to do an endo. Thus, nothing you do can make your road bike, or any short-wheelbase bike, safer for panic stops. For riding in city traffic, stick with your hybrid for safe braking.
uhm cough,,bs, cough, cough, bs, cough.

Push your weight back as far as you can, butt off the back, torso pressed on seat, and endo'ing is not a concern. You can stop a racing bike very quickly like that.

watch the Rabobank rider.

OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-03-12, 09:37 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
incorrect.

weight distribution is more important than wheelbase here.
Old 08-03-12, 09:52 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Colnago, Specialized, Lynskey, and maybe more yet unannounced are doing road disc bikes next year. It's coming.

I've always been able to stop fast enough. Issue is reaction time.

I also don't know if I want brakes so strong I can induce a front tire skid... that seems scary.

Last edited by Menel; 08-03-12 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-03-12, 09:53 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Don't know what the OP is talking about.

SRAM Force brakes with Swiss Stop Green pads on my road bike. Works fantastic. I've never worried about my stopping distance.

Of course, I'm using alloy rims.
Old 08-03-12, 09:55 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
uhm cough,,bs, cough, cough, bs, cough.

Push your weight back as far as you can, butt off the back, torso pressed on seat, and endo'ing is not a concern. You can stop a racing bike very quickly like that.
I guess you could go on a year long iced cream binge, too. But that really just comes down to weight distribution.
Old 08-03-12, 10:04 AM
canam73

Originally Posted by Banzai
Don't know what the OP is talking about.

SRAM Force brakes with Swiss Stop Green pads on my road bike. Works fantastic. I've never worried about my stopping distance.

Of course, I'm using alloy rims.
Since the OP himself mentioned contact patch being the issue I'm guessing power isn't the problem (although the OP could clear that up....). I'm guessing he's just noticing that narrow, high psi tires won't stop you like fat, low psi tires will no matter what caliper, pads or rims you have.
Old 08-03-12, 10:06 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,247 Times in 1,509 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyB.
The 2.1 doesn't have 105 brakes, the 2.3 does. I'm guessing Tektro with cheap pads.
I looked and the brakes are Tektro R540s.

That's the problem - not weight distribution, wheelbase, technique - just crappy brakes. If you want to stop, get rid of this junk and replace them with something that works like 105. Also use Swiss Stop yellow or Kool Stop black pads. You'll stop on a dime
Old 08-03-12, 10:12 AM
canam73

With decent pads and properly set Tektro brakes will stop as well as any other forged, dual pivot caliper. And I'm basing this statement off of having everything from Dura Ace, Rival (x2), Tektro and Nashbar brakesets currently on my bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.