Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

buying better road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

buying better road bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 04:16 PM
mrund3rd09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buying better road bike

I have two vintage bikes. But I think I've saved enough money to spend like $400-500 dollars on a good bike that I can use for long distance commutes. Can someone suggest a bike within that price range? I've looked on craigslist, but I can't find anything except overpriced bikes that should sell for at least 1/3 less of what it really should be. It would be great to get a good deal from craigslist though.

btw. I'm in central Iowa.
Old 08-03-12, 04:19 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
4-500$ doesn't do a whole lot in today's market though if you keep looking something will pop up.

Are your vintage bikes high quality? If so maybe some modifications might be your best approach.
Old 08-03-12, 04:21 PM
moppeddler

Bikes: Trek 1.5, Scwinn Sporterra comp, Cannondale Synapse carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrund3rd09
I have two vintage bikes. But I think I've saved enough money to spend like $400-500 dollars on a good bike that I can use for long distance commutes. Can someone suggest a bike within that price range? I've looked on craigslist, but I can't find anything except overpriced bikes that should sell for at least 1/3 less of what it really should be. It would be great to get a good deal from craigslist though.

btw. I'm in central Iowa.
What are you basing your opinion on that the bikes are overpriced? Certainly you'll find some bikes priced out of line but when I hear someone say that ALL the bikes he sees are overpriced, I wonder if maybe your perception doesn't match up to reality real well.

Bikes Direct will have some new bikes in your range, but at that price, I'd probably keep looking at used. Good luck.
Old 08-03-12, 04:33 PM
mrund3rd09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we don't have a very good market right now around here. all I see are 70s and 80s bikes that would normally go for around $100 selling for 150+. and no they're not listed by name. they are just called something like '80s road bike'. Other listings are just mountain bikes being called road bikes. There are also a couple of early 2000s trek models that can be bought new for not much higher than the listing price. So you tell me, am I the one needing a reality check?

the better bike I have right now is a 1980 fuji del rey. the other one is a panasonic. The fuji needs to be stored, it's missing brake levers. I'm riding my panasonic bike right now, but the hind wheel just got out of tune, and I will have to get that fixed. The other hind wheel from the fuji needs the cog set replaced.

I'm browsing on bikesdirect right now, and I honestly don't know what to look for. The only experience I have are around vintage bikes. I just need something durable and low maintenance
Old 08-03-12, 04:43 PM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nashbar AL-1 Road Bike
Old 08-03-12, 06:08 PM
moppeddler

Bikes: Trek 1.5, Scwinn Sporterra comp, Cannondale Synapse carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we don't have a very good market right now around here. all I see are 70s and 80s bikes that would normally go for around $100 selling for 150+. and no they're not listed by name. they are just called something like '80s road bike'. Other listings are just mountain bikes being called road bikes. There are also a couple of early 2000s trek models that can be bought new for not much higher than the listing price. So you tell me, am I the one needing a reality check?

the better bike I have right now is a 1980 fuji del rey. the other one is a panasonic. The fuji needs to be stored, it's missing brake levers. I'm riding my panasonic bike right now, but the hind wheel just got out of tune, and I will have to get that fixed. The other hind wheel from the fuji needs the cog set replaced.

I'm browsing on bikesdirect right now, and I honestly don't know what to look for. The only experience I have are around vintage bikes. I just need something durable and low maintenance
If it's mainly a commuter, how about a hybrid? You could get a nice one new or used for around that kind of cash.
Old 08-03-12, 08:25 PM
mrund3rd09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm buying this bike primarily because I want to commute to neighboring cities 30+ miles away, and I want something more dependable than a vintage bike.

can someone point out to me the quality of the bike in the linked provided by knobd? Is that suppose to be just the average quality road bike nowadays? It would be nice to get a good perspective on the difference between a good road bike and great road bike. I'm kind of new to this, and I can't see past the aluminum frames, derailleurs, etc. they all look the same to me.
Old 08-03-12, 08:37 PM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you are a little out of touch with modern pricing. Why not do some shopping around, go to your LBS (local bike stores) and see what the going prices are for bikes.

A new road bike from a LBS (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale etc...) will be over $700 and more closer to $1000.

FOr $400-500 you will have to make some compromises. Bikes Direct and Nashbar bikes will probably be your best option if you can't find used
Old 08-03-12, 09:16 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I were you, instead of allowing those bikes to collect dust, I would spend that cash on immediately restoring that Fuji. I'd strip it! Paint it! Rustproof it and replace any malfunctioning component on it. Then if I had any cash leftover, I'd invest in a new set of gatorskins and perhaps a new saddle. New grips would be nice too!
Old 08-03-12, 09:46 PM
mrund3rd09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, I am completely out of touch. And I feel like the local bike stores tend to over charge on bikes, and that I can probably get them cheaper online. But I'll probably walk by there and test ride a couple of them.

restoring the fuji and upgrading its components sounds like a lot of work. I'll probably just find the missing parts, put it together, sell it and keep my panasonic. I wouldn't mind doing it, it's just that I'm pretty busy. Unless the fuji components from the 80s is actually better than that of a $500 bike from bikesdirect, I think I'll go with a new bike and sell the old one. I mean I'm about to graduate and get a job or do a phd, making some cash, and I don't intend to stick around vintages all my life.
Old 08-04-12, 12:59 PM
mrund3rd09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since a lot of you suggested craigslist, I looked for sales farther away from home, and found these. Please let me know what you think about them. which ones would you buy if you were me?

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/bik/3181731888.html
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/bid/3168642356.html
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/bik/3125984012.html
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/bik/3146365861.html
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/bik/3108112769.html
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/bik/3136452708.html
https://desmoines.craigslist.org/bid/3141823478.html
Old 08-04-12, 01:56 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
can someone point out to me the quality of the bike in the linked provided by knobd? Is that suppose to be just the average quality road bike nowadays? It would be nice to get a good perspective on the difference between a good road bike and great road bike. I'm kind of new to this, and I can't see past the aluminum frames, derailleurs, etc. they all look the same to me.
It has entry level components -Shimano Sora- and will weigh about 23 or 24 pounds. I'd guess about average for the lower end road bikes. It's very similar to what I put together in January and have commuted with this year (about 3500 miles total). The frame and fork are decent.
Old 08-04-12, 04:11 PM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
better to spend a little more upfront if you're going to take the hobby seriously... a good bang for the buck would be something with a shimano 105 groupset like a Felt Z85 on clearance. I don't plan to upgrade any time soon.
Old 08-04-12, 04:44 PM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1. is a flat bar road bike (hybrid)
2. is a cross bike
3. looks decent is similar to a vintage
4.looks good, has low end components, would be decent if in good shape....check original MRSP for pricing.....
5. is a flat bar road bike (hybrid) with low level components (doesn't look like a good deal for $500 should be new for that price)
6. low end frame but good components. I'd say worth $500 tops
7. gone
Old 08-04-12, 05:39 PM
mrund3rd09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the reply.

I know I'm a fish out of water, and this is going to sound really stupid. But how do you tell a good frame/fork from a bad one, and how do you know which components are good and which ones are low end?

also, how much should a used bike be compared to the msrp?

Last edited by mrund3rd09; 08-04-12 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-04-12, 11:58 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
You start reading this forum, look up the specs on bikes. After a while, you'll figure out what's what. LBS don't overcharge for bikes; MSRP is what is is. I think bikesdirect.com has a large following because they use Shimano/SRAM components (sometimes older models) which are quality components for the mechanical parts. The frames and other bits (seat posts, seats, stems, bars) are no name brand. I would not hesitate to buy from BD except for the sizing issue and not being able to ride before buying.