Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Vivabikevegas-who is in?

And what do you think of them moving the time up three weeks to coincide with Interbike? I think it can still be pretty hot at the end of September. October is a better time for riding 100+ miles. I like the combo this year of riding down the Strip and then crossing the Hoover Dam at Lake Mead. Good route.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Last edited by Daspydyr; 08-22-12 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-22-12, 08:43 AM
Daspydyr 

https://nevadacancerinstitute.kintera...?ievent=997854

https://www.rtcsnv.com/vivabikevegas/

Sorry, here is more info.

Old 08-22-12, 12:20 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I signed up last fall for the 100, and not certain if i will be allowed to change the ride distance to the 122 miles, since they added the new distance.

The map supplied is not very detailed, and I have ridden from the Von's in Boulder, down and across across Hoover Damn and return several times to learn that section of the route. Am I doing the wrong practice ride, please see map?
https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/116968509
Old 08-22-12, 06:47 PM
Daspydyr 

Assumptions kick me in the rear. I had mentioned the Pat Tillman, but your route is the correct route. It will go to the old road over Hoover Dam. that is some climbing you have been doing.

Old 08-24-12, 01:08 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Bikes: Fuji SST 1.0, Chorus equipped Ridley Excalibur, Novara XR, KHS Classic, Basso Tri-Color, 1982 Bianchi Nuova Touring, Blue Max Plateau EX, Heavy Mongoose Hilltopper

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Assumptions kick me in the rear. I had mentioned the Pat Tillman, but your route is the correct route. It will go to the old road over Hoover Dam. that is some climbing you have been doing. (I think it can still be pretty hot at the end of September. October is a better time for riding 100+ miles. I like the combo this year of riding down the Strip and then crossing the Hoover Dam at Lake Mead. Good route.)
I am old and like to ride and learn the difficult parts of the route I want to ride (STP did not allow me that pleasure). I believe there has been a cooler week in September the last several years, before the warmth returns to remind us of summer in last week of September. I can only hope the 22nd is a part of the cooler September weather. If it is cool the dates it will not mater, and the addition of very good and well known riders from the "Interbike trade show" may make this a much larger and exhilarating ride, but October has a better chance to be cooler. I also like the route of using the Strip, MRLT, Hoover Dam, and through the Red Rock NCA.

I hope there are more photographers along the ride course this year to capture my photo several times, as I was quite disappointed no snaps shots of me were in the data base last year...

JR
Old 08-27-12, 10:33 AM
Daspydyr 

I also have seemed to escape the camera. Maybe I should set up a camera instead of riding. I need a couple new parts-does it pay anything?

Old 08-27-12, 02:53 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
I also have seemed to escape the camera. Maybe I should set up a camera instead of riding. I need a couple new parts-does it pay anything?
You have me smiling & chuckling at your comments! Haven't the foggiest about compensation, but I remember seeing the camera people at several locations during my ride, and remember posed for one shot photo before the Red Rock Loop with my number quite visible. Daspydyr, if you were a weak rider like myself, then you would not need to purchase as many new parts for your bicycle as often...

JR
Old 09-19-12, 09:33 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Daspydyr,

Are you ready for 122 miles? Saturday looks like it will be warm: 106 °F & Cloudy. Should be about 75 °F at starting time, I rode the River Mountain Loop (Road way) on Friday and the road is clear, only a minor sand in the curbs left from the recent storms. However, I could not believe today, on Horizon Ridge coming down from TJ's Bike Shop to where the climb starts to Gibson, the center of the roadway was torn up. Maybe they will have it repaired by Saturday, looks like a lot of divider work to me, but traffic was diverted into two way usage on the south side of the roadway. The pavement was not disturbed on the north side, maybe it will still be in place for riders on Saturday...

From the ride announcement:
If you are riding the 122 mile ride and do not make it to mile 84 (Fort Apache & Blue Diamond) by 1:45 p.m. you will be directed to turn off onto the 102 mile course in order to complete your ride by 5 p.m. (heat may slow more than a few riders). If you are tight on cut off time, aid station at the 80 mile should be skipped, and use the next one at the 93 mile point on the map (Blue Diamond).
https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/130567395 <--This is my map, not the official ride map.

East side pickup location: You can use the parking lot located on Pacifica Way and US-93 for family or friends to pick you up in the event you feel you cannot complete the ride

West side pickup location: Please use the parking lot located at Mesa Park as an emergency pickup location for family or friends to pick you up in the event you feel unable to complete the ride

I look forward to see everyone riding strong & safely on Saturday.

JR
Old 09-20-12, 08:05 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 68 Posts
If we kind of know its going to be a hot day, how will the 75 mile course be like? Looks like the elevation gain really doesn't go too high before the 75 mile mark.
Old 09-21-12, 11:11 AM
Daspydyr 

I live just south of Stephanie and Horizon Ridge. HR has been torn up all summer from Gibson to the bottom curve. Those Monsoon showers have also made it pretty crappy. The Amargosa sections have been covered with tons of debris. I have been riding west towards the Silverton.

I have a new cassette for the climb out of Lake Mead to Boulder City. But I have been travelling and a couple of family health situation-anyway. I am aiming for a shorter ride. Plus, the last month the heat has really effected my endurance. I guess I will quit whining now.

Actually I think I will play camerman and just wonder around. If you want my cell number I can take some actions shots of you and email them to you. Let me know, I will PM the cell#.

I live 3 blocks from the turn off at Arroyo Grande. And that 75 doesn't look that demanding, hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Last edited by Daspydyr; 09-21-12 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-21-12, 01:38 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
The 75 mile ride will be an adventure to enjoy, the 102 will also be fun distance. Trying to keep up with the rated riders & teams from the Interbike show riding the 122 will give you a very good perspective on your abilities, without pretending to be a racer. The number of riders on Eastern, and Las Vegas Blvd. this morning indicate to me there will be some very good riders in this years RTC/Interbike Viva Las Vegas Grand Fondo Pinarello

Several times I have watched Sam De Gona's Youtube link of 2011 before sunrise start. Watching the start, recalls what it was like to get to Las Vegas Blvd. before sunrise. (5:30 AM) and remember this year we are starting 30 minutes earlier with police *******.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiYESiWDYkg

Tis interesting to recall the trip along the strip... Here is another perspective taken from the strip, edge of the route.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LEi8pghj_A

Enjoy the memories if you did the ride last year, or a bit of knowledge if this is your first year to ride the event...

JR
Old 09-22-12, 06:58 PM
Garfield Cat

I did the 75 as a last minute thing. I was at the Interbike and happened to do this ride.
Old 09-23-12, 11:24 AM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I was set on the 122, but only did 88 miles after needing to replace a rock punctured tire, then muck about with the brakes that changed settings mid climb along Sun City Golf Course. Returning to the road, I immediately flatted the front tire and after repair I decided to back track and complete the 75 mile course. I should have continued and done the 102 route, but tired mentally I made a decision and finished the 75 mile course to discover the beer garden was already closed, and then discovered, Miller Ale House on the other side of Town Square did not have bike valet established for this event.

I shall be better prepared for next years event, hope it is a similar route, I enjoyed the Boulder section, Lakeshore & crossing Hoover Dam.

JR
Old 09-24-12, 08:58 AM
Garfield Cat

Going to the Hoover Dam, there was a rider down and the riders had to stop for the ambulance. Any local news about that incident?
Old 09-24-12, 01:40 PM
Namida12
Using antix-17.4.1

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Going to the Hoover Dam, there was a rider down and the riders had to stop for the ambulance. Any local news about that incident?
Garfield Cat,

No do not know about the riders condition, accident happen a head of me, and everyone was slowing to a crawl rubber necking the rider instead of clearing to the left side of the road. Little common sense was shown by most riders. None or few rider might have been medical staff, but the bicycle jam became unbelievable just as I reached the area, and tried to move left & keep going. I did not know what happened, other than a rider(s) was/were down, but I was trying to prevent getting caught in another incident with many completely stopped checking out the accident instead of clearing the area for emergency use...

I certainly hope the rider(s) are OK, and emergency was there quicker, but the Jam of inconsiderate riders undoubtedly slowed emergency response in my humble opinion.

I have not seen or found any information on the rider(s) incident or condition. Or any decent local print coverage of the event. The largest Bicycle Trade Show in the US, and the local print media seems like they ignored the event, and new products shown and introduced.

JR
Old 09-24-12, 05:51 PM
Garfield Cat

I was near that front where we had to stop near the police cars. We got a glimpse of the guy who went down and then the ambulance showed up. Soon after they let us go through. Both sides came to a halt, those returning from Hoover and us going.

One other thing, I never saw Miguel Indurian. Was he ever there? At the finsh, there was the tent canopy with his name on it and I went over to ask the guy and he was clueless.

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 09-24-12 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-25-12, 08:16 AM
SirVelo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was climbing out of Hoover Dam when I saw them preparing to load the cyclist onto the ambulance. I think this was right before everyone was supposed to be going 5 mph. It was hard to go that slow unless you got caught behind a tour bus like I did. Still, some dumba$$ cyclists were zooming down and passing the tour bus on the opposite lane into the oncoming line of cyclists going back up.

I rode the 102 and thought we were lucky as the clouds stayed around as it wasn't as hot as it could have been (but my Garmin registered 106F). As we progressed through mile 85 and beyond, the body count was rising as cyclists were off to the side dehydrated, resting, cramping, or as in one case, a lady sprawled out on a golf course bike and body strewn about.

This was my fourth year and I think they need to move it back to October and forget about the Interbike show. When I first attended in 2009, the event was personal with the city mayor making speeches, Vegas showgirls and Elvis impersonators and the event was pure fun. This past ride was the complete opposite. No speeches (no thanking any of the participants, nothing about the charities, just set off some fireworks and go. It also looked like a Team-in-Training convention with over 500 riders from across the nation.

Not sure if I'll do this ride again unless they move it to October but they did set a date for 9/21/2013 according to their site.

Last edited by SirVelo; 09-26-12 at 04:11 PM.