Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

bib life span

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

bib life span

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 10:35 PM
armybikerider

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
bib life span

How many miles are you typically getting from a pair of bibs and which bibs are they?

I've been buying Performance Elites because I like the way they fit and you cant beat getting them on sale for $40.00. I've been getting a year - 5,700 miles out of them - sometimes a couple grand more before I can see through them.

I'm curious if more expensive bibs last longer?
Old 08-26-12, 11:04 PM
Thirstyman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes, I get about 4 years out of Assos brand bibs. This is washing on gentle and hang drying rather than drying with heat. Putting cycling gear in the dryer shortens life of the elastic fabric considerably.
Old 08-27-12, 12:17 AM
colombo357

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
So your chamois must look like swiss cheese then? Does the chamois butt'r ooze out?
Old 08-27-12, 05:48 AM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Descents bibs, chamois is separating from Lycra after 3 years. Still can use but I started replacing
Old 08-27-12, 06:28 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by armybikerider
How many miles are you typically getting from a pair of bibs and which bibs are they?

I've been buying Performance Elites because I like the way they fit and you cant beat getting them on sale for $40.00. I've been getting a year - 5,700 miles out of them - sometimes a couple grand more before I can see through them.

I'm curious if more expensive bibs last longer?
I have Pearl and Performane and they both wear well. I wash and dry them in a dryer with no problem. I have about 4 of them and they show little or no wear after a few years of use.
Old 08-27-12, 06:53 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
Miles is important to judge the life span of shorts and bibs, but so is the amount of times washed. I get about 140 washes (true estimate) on gentle, hang drying.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-27-12, 08:00 PM
armybikerider

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks. I typically handwash in the sink after each ride and hang outside to dry. Fighting the urge try out PI, Sugoi etc to see if they;d last longer.
Old 08-27-12, 08:16 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,246 Times in 1,508 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
I have Pearl and Performane and they both wear well. I wash and dry them in a dryer with no problem. I have about 4 of them and they show little or no wear after a few years of use.
Yep. Hand washing and air drying isn't needed for most fabrics now. That's old stuff. Washing and drying in machines don't make any difference in life and wear.

It's amazing here people argue about torque wrench settings based on what manufactures say and ignore the labels on clothes for care.
Old 08-28-12, 12:47 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by armybikerider
Thanks. I typically handwash in the sink after each ride and hang outside to dry. Fighting the urge try out PI, Sugoi etc to see if they;d last longer.
At a cost of $50 dollars you can't beat performance just buy two pairs.
Old 08-28-12, 06:35 AM
topflightpro

Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
I think this really varies by brand.

I go through about four pairs of Hincapie bibs a year. Basically, the fabric stretches to the point that they aren't quite comfortable anymore. I wear the stretched ones on the trainer or for short recovery rides.

My previous team used Voler. The elite fabric bibs didn't even last a season before the fabric wore out. The basic bibs lasted much longer.

I bought some Pearl Microsensor Bibs about five years ago, and they are still going strong. But they haven't been worn much in the past four years, other than on the trainer.

I have a pair of Specialized bibs that have held up ok.

My wife's team rides Louis Garneau. They seem to be very solid and hold up very well. I am quite impressed.
Old 08-28-12, 07:11 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
My Performance Elite bibs (my second pair) gave up early in their life. The stitching holding the chamois to the bib unraveled. I'm considering going up to Performance to find out whether they might give me consideration on replacing them. I bought them in February and they have about 1,000 miles on 'em.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 08-28-12, 08:03 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
and ignore the labels on clothes for care.
Unless it says "Dry Clean Only"...that's gospel.