Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Multiple Bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 12:06 AM
SemperFiV12

Bikes: '93 Trek 8300 Composite, '12 Specialized Tarmac Expert SL3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Multiple Bicycles

Hello everyone, just wondering why some people would own more than one model of the same type of bicycle... I currently have a daily mountain bike (Trek 8300) and my new addition is my race ready Specialized Tarmac.

Seen a few people with multiple bikes of the same type... Just wondering what the advantages are of owning more than one model of the same type of bike? I was interested in a '12 Raleigh Revenio Carbon 2.0 bike, since I tried one out and was amazed at the comfort! I have also seen a deal, what I think is a nice price of $1,600... But I can't find a good reason to go on with it since I have my Tarmac.

Here are the specs: https://www.raleighusa.com/archive/20...carbon-2-0-12/

Any thoughts on the bike? The price? And the need to have more than one road bike?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SemperFiV12; 09-24-12 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Add detail
Old 09-24-12, 12:13 AM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SemperFiV12
Hello everyone, just wondering why some people would own more than one type of bicycle...
Because there is more than one type of riding?
Old 09-24-12, 12:18 AM
SemperFiV12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Because there is more than one type of riding?
Let me re-phrase... More than one model of the same type of bicycles. So, more bicycles for the same type of riding.
(Also, great screen name)
Old 09-24-12, 12:29 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Bicycle commuters probably get the most benefit from owning similar bicycles for their commuting.

Daily long commutes can be hard on a bicycle and require more frequent repairs and overhauls. It is nice having a second bicycle so you do not have to rush an overnight repair for the morning commute.

Slow leaks often show up as flats in the morning as you pull the bike out for the morning commute. It is really nice to just put that bicycle aside and ride the other one in.

Having an old commute bike for rain/snow days can extend the life of the nicer commute bike significantly.
Old 09-24-12, 12:57 AM
SemperFiV12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very interesting. Would the same apply to road bikes? I am specifically asking for my current situation as well.
Old 09-24-12, 01:07 AM
Velo Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding for more than 40 years as an adult, and I think I've only sold one of the 25 or so bikes I've owned, for half what it was worth to the son of a friend who was going away to college. My early rides were cheap, so by the time I replaced them, they weren't worth enough to go to the trouble of selling them. They just piled up in the garage. After awhile, as with my first early-'80s mountain bike, they rotated back into use again. Riding a rigid mountain bike in rough terrain is a different activity than cruising on a fully suspended bike, and I do both now. It seems like I have two bikes (actually three now) for the same type of riding, but they're actually quite different. Same with road bikes: if you glance into my garage, it looks like I'm up to my hips in them, but there are differences I can feel when I ride them. At one time I was up to 17, but that was just stupid. I donated several to a local charity that provides transportation bikes for low-income workers and gave a couple away to neighbors who'd expressed an interest in starting to ride, and I'm down to four... No, five. I forgot the old Trek I converted to singlespeed a few years ago.
Old 09-24-12, 03:10 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Very interesting. Would the same apply to road bikes? I am specifically asking for my current situation as well.
If you road ride in rain, it could worthwhile having a rain road bike and save your best road bike for the certain sunny days.
Old 09-24-12, 04:42 AM
iheartbacon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm into utility bikes, right now I have a Giant Escape that tows a Burley Nomad trailer. So if I could have 3 more bikes I would have:

A Surly Big Dummy

This weird trike thing.

This big wood Dutch bike.

I also like road bikes. So this closely parallels my pre-carfree life when I was into trucks and sports/muscle cars. If I was going to add another bike to my road bike collection a Diamondback Podium 5 would be a good stablemate to my Raleigh Revenio. I'm not into mountain bikes at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
big dummy.jpg (62.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg
cargoDSCN4523.jpg (72.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-24-12, 05:41 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Of my 5 bikes, only 2 are similar, an American Eagle Nishiki and a Kabuki Syd. Both are 10 speed road bikes. The American Eagle I got for a load of wood that I traded with one of my best friends, and have probably put 50K miles on. The Kabuki Syd belonged to a co-worker and I got it for doing some web work. They're both cool bikes.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-24-12, 06:01 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe one bike for training (non carbon) and one for other rides. Works for me but I have 4 road bikes and 2 single speed road style bikes (anyone want to buy a Raleigh On Way?).

P2
Old 09-24-12, 08:12 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
You're comparing the Raleigh to a Tarmac? Buy the Raleigh.
I had a 2010 Tarmac. Never could get comfortable on it. Finally gave up and sold it 10 months later.

I have 2 road bikes (see my sig). Love them both.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-24-12, 08:23 AM
Rekless1
Nobody Special

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well.... I own a number of bikes that are very similar. But I don't pretend to believe that I have them each for a certain reason. I could do very easily with any one of them.

I have them for very simple reasons.... I like them. Generally they are a timeline of my riding history that I don't want to part with. And it's fun pulling put something I rode many years ago and reliving those memories. Maintance,brake downs...blah. Thats a crock unless your lazy, procrastinate or just plain inept with a tool box. The only time a true 'backup' bike held true for me was back when I was racing competitively weekly and constantly traveling/flying/on the road.
Old 09-24-12, 08:36 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Liked 4,538 Times in 2,522 Posts
I have 3 "road" bikes and 4 "mountain" bikes. One of the road bikes is a touring bike that is set up for loaded touring. I don't really ride it for commuting all that much because I'd rather save it for tours. I have a cross bike that I use for commuting the bulk of the time. It's set up with a rack so that I can carry my clothes to and from work, I fenderize it for winter and it's set up for lights. The third road bike is a pure go fast road bike. No racks, no carrying capacity, no frills. It's just to ride as hard and fast as I can.

Each of the road bikes has it's purpose without a lot of cross purposing. I planned it that way. I could use the tour bike for road rides and commuting...I have used a touring bike that way in the past. I could use the cross bike for touring, although it would be a really crappy touring bike. And I could graft a rack onto the go-fast bike but that would be like using a thoroughbred as a plow horse...just wrong.

Your situation looks more like you have one go-fast bike and you want another one. I've never seen the reason for that. But if it fits with your lifestyle, there's nothing wrong with it. Personally, I'd look into another flavor of bike for utility. A touring bike (great commuter bikes but a better touring bike) or a cross bike (good commuter bike).

By the way, many roadies will tell you that 'touring' bikes or a cross bikes aren't road bikes...they would be wrong.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-24-12, 09:07 AM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
If you road ride in rain, it could worthwhile having a rain road bike and save your best road bike for the certain sunny days.
Not just a rain bike, I have road bikes set up for different situations. I have my go fast bike. This has the no extra gear on it except a small saddle bag. I only ride this bike on sunny days. Then I have the same model of bike, different year. This is setup with a light rear rack so I can carry a bit more items with me, maybe a lunch and a jacket in the trunk bag. I also have battery operated lights on this bike.

I have another road bike that has a dynamo, strong rear rack, fenders and of course dynamo lights. This bike is used if I want to carry even more items with me, riding for long periods of time at night, in the rain, etc.

It is true, I could just use the one bike with the dynamo to do all the other types of rides. But what would the fun be in that? I like having bikes with different configurations. Sometimes I like to ride my bike with friction down tube shifters, sometimes the one with STI and other times with bar end shifters. Sometimes I like to ride my single speed fixed gear.
Old 09-24-12, 10:14 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Generally, I have different types of bikes, but I do seem to have acquired 3 road bikes.

One I bought used in '99 when I was getting back into riding after 4 years off the bike. A year later I bought the road bike I really wanted, but kept the used one as a backup. Now it's a bit of a classic and I like having it. More recently someone gave me a well used Benotto that needs some work. That may ultimately become a fixed gear.
Old 09-24-12, 12:49 PM
SemperFiV12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Referring to the original post... Is it worth having two carbon road bikes (I know to each their own, but im trying to find potential reasons that would justify the purchase)? The differences to me initially is comfort and speed. I get a bit more comfort on the Raleigh (mainly saddle, maybe frame?) but I give up speed...

Im also beginning to think that $1,600 for the '12 Raleigh Revenio Carbon 2.0 is not that great of a price.
Old 09-24-12, 12:50 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I think the overall reason is "because we can", being that most posters are from first world countries with adequate disposable income we often pick up whatever catches our eye, whether we already have one like it or not.
Old 09-24-12, 01:16 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Referring to the original post... Is it worth having two carbon road bikes (I know to each their own, but im trying to find potential reasons that would justify the purchase)? The differences to me initially is comfort and speed. I get a bit more comfort on the Raleigh (mainly saddle, maybe frame?) but I give up speed...

Im also beginning to think that $1,600 for the '12 Raleigh Revenio Carbon 2.0 is not that great of a price.
$1,600 for a Carbon road bike sounds like a pretty good price to me. What size is it, just in case you decide not to buy it. I will likely lay down $1,200 for a steel Raleigh Sojourn this month. You say the Raleigh Revenio is more comfortable - that is good enough to buy it as your second road bike.
Old 09-24-12, 01:29 PM
Doug5150

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hello everyone, just wondering why some people would own more than one model of the same type of bicycle...
It is because they all hurt to ride, but they hurt in slightly different ways--and so a different kind of riding discomfort from one day to the next makes the discomfort seem not so bad.
Old 09-24-12, 03:15 PM
SemperFiV12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks a lot CB and Doug... These last two posts were especially helpful.

CB it is a size 56.
Old 09-24-12, 03:25 PM
cruiserhead

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
$1600 is a great price. The bike is full 105, tapered headtube, formula wheels. all solid stuff.

you could shop realcyclist.com or some of the other online retailers to get a sense of what 105 bikes are going for.
I think yours is right in line as a solid value.
Old 09-24-12, 03:36 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts
I think I have 18 bicycles now and only two could be and have sometimes been confused as being the same bike despite the much different set ups.
Old 09-24-12, 03:48 PM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Referring to the original post... Is it worth having two carbon road bikes
Worth? Sure, why not? I'm not generally an advocate of mindless consumerism. I went 20+ years between road bike purchases, but really, it's your decision.

You stealing (for) the bike - going into debt - denying food for someone you're responsible for? If no, why the heck not?
Old 09-24-12, 04:03 PM
SemperFiV12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
$1600 is a great price. The bike is full 105, tapered headtube, formula wheels. all solid stuff.

you could shop realcyclist.com or some of the other online retailers to get a sense of what 105 bikes are going for.
I think yours is right in line as a solid value.
Thanks for the reassurance. I am on the line... Not sure if I shuld pull the trigger or hold out for upgrades on my Tarmac SL3
Old 09-24-12, 04:03 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,301 Times in 1,584 Posts
I've got six bikes at the moment. Three of them are very similar: a 2008 Kona Major Jake, a 2008 Kona Jake and a 2013 Kona Jake. The Major Jake is my CX racing bike. The 2013 Jake is my all-weather commuter. The 2008 Jake was my all-weather commuter before I got the 2013 -- now it's just hanging in the garage holding parts. I'm thinking of it as a back-up for either of the other two, but I haven't ridden it since I got the new one. Mostly I'm keeping it for sentimental reasons.

The point, I guess, is that if you have two identical bikes that don't serve different purposes, one of them is likely to end up collecting dust.

In your case, however, the Revenio and the Tarmac are very different bikes. The Tarmac is an aggressive race bike. The Revenio is an all-day comfort plush bike. The answer to your question depends on your riding habits. If you ever ride centuries and such, I think the Revenio is worth buying. If you also race and/or do fast/competitive group rides, then it's probably worth keeping the Tarmac. If not, maybe the Tarmac is ready to find a new home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.