Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Paint chipping away on my Supersix, is this a warranty issue?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-12, 09:59 PM
kyoto now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Upon flipping my bike over to clean the underside, I noticed the paint has begin to chip away on the bottom of the drive-side dropout. Should I be concerned and take it in for a possible warranty fix? I know cannondale warranties paint for a year, but I'm not even sure if this is something to worry about. Here's a link to the image:

https://i.imgur.com/Zh8sK.jpg
Old 09-29-12, 10:09 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I assume you have taken the wheel off at least once. I would guess it got chipped when you put it back on. It's easy to do and most people who have ridden their bikes for a while probably have scratches and/or chips in the paint in that area. Why in the world would this be a warranty issue?
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 09-29-12, 10:35 PM
kyoto now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
I assume you have taken the wheel off at least once. I would guess it got chipped when you put it back on. It's easy to do and most people who have ridden their bikes for a while probably have scratches and/or chips in the paint in that area. Why in the world would this be a warranty issue?
Ive only had it 5 months, and I've never seen paint chip like this on a bike (that I've owned) before,that's why I was asking. It sounds logical, but damn, I can't imagine how the bike would look in 4-5 years if the paint chips this easily. I've never been forceful, careless, or abusive in any way while removing/installing the rear wheel.
Old 09-30-12, 05:27 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
+1

Otherwise every single bike frame I've ever owned would have been considered "defective". When you put your wheel in it's normal to miss by a bit - that's why they have little tabs on the brake pads, to guide the tire, and that's why the dropout has extra material, so it can get a bit worn from wheel/cassette/chain impacts.

If this is such a concern then buy a non-painted Ti frame. The harder material (soft aluminum doesn't hold paint well when bumped with harder steel chains or cassettes) won't wear and the fact that it's not painted will make paint a non-issue.
Old 09-30-12, 05:33 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoto now
Upon flipping my bike over to clean the underside, I noticed the paint has begin to chip away on the bottom of the drive-side dropout. Should I be concerned and take it in for a possible warranty fix? I know cannondale warranties paint for a year, but I'm not even sure if this is something to worry about. Here's a link to the image:

https://i.imgur.com/Zh8sK.jpg
I have an EVO and the paint is virtually gone from the rear and fork dropouts. Then there's my CAAD9 where I filed off the lawyer lips, then put a little model paint to cover that up.

My Super Six HM has the same deal. It's normal.
Old 09-30-12, 05:34 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
+1

Otherwise every single bike frame I've ever owned would have been considered "defective". When you put your wheel in it's normal to miss by a bit - that's why they have little tabs on the brake pads, to guide the tire, and that's why the dropout has extra material, so it can get a bit worn from wheel/cassette/chain impacts.

If this is such a concern then buy a non-painted Ti frame. The harder material (soft aluminum doesn't hold paint well when bumped with harder steel chains or cassettes) won't wear and the fact that it's not painted will make paint a non-issue.
Exactly.
Old 09-30-12, 09:22 AM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I bought lizard skins frame protectors and cut them small enough to cover the area adjacent the the drop out. I dont know whats uglier.. the Lizard skins or the chips but its on the bottom any way.
Old 09-30-12, 09:33 AM
Parson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The same thing happened to the dropout on the fork of my 3 month old Supersix. Mine isn't just on the underside though. Mine is about a 0.5 cm diameter chip on the front of the dropout.

I've only removed the front wheel twice and was extremely careful both times. I think it must have happened while it was in the shop once. Perhaps the paint really is extra fragile on new Cannondales?

edited to clarify that I'm not complaining. It's not a big deal to me... just an observation.

Last edited by Parson; 09-30-12 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-30-12, 09:39 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Warranties cover paint failure, not chips and scratches.
Old 09-30-12, 10:30 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Parson
The same thing happened to the dropout on the fork of my 3 month old Supersix. Mine isn't just on the underside though. Mine is about a 0.5 cm diameter chip on the front of the dropout.

I've only removed the front wheel twice and was extremely careful both times. I think it must have happened while it was in the shop once. Perhaps the paint really is extra fragile on new Cannondales?

edited to clarify that I'm not complaining. It's not a big deal to me... just an observation.
In the area of the dropouts, the paint coating is crushed by very large forces when the quick release is closed. Lots of force. The slightest defect in the paint in that area will lead to chipping. Moreover, the dropouts are probably the least visible part on the bike, so when the frame and fork are hung to dry, they are hung with the dropouts down, meaning there is often a bubble of paint at the dropout, when then cracks off and takes some paint with it.

And, yes, paint jobs are getting cheaper. My old (entry level) steel frame I got in '99 has a paint job that is tough as nails. My newer bikes, with the particular mention of my beater cyclocross frame I got from Performance (Scattante), all have more fragile paint. It is not something a warranty will cover because it is likely the owner grinding against something that causes the chip, but paint is more fragile than it was. My old Madone actually had rather large flakes coming off from the bottom bracket area and the new Madone already has little microcracks in the paint (particularly visible because the frame is white) in the bottom bracket area. Totally aesthetic, so I don't worry about it.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 09-30-12 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-30-12, 11:12 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
No, it's a paint chipping issue.
Old 09-30-12, 12:47 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tool not a jewel...

Sorry had to say it...
Old 09-30-12, 12:49 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyoto now
warranty fix?
nope
Old 09-30-12, 12:59 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Liked 30 Times in 26 Posts
The first scuffs help you to obsess less and ride more/harder.

This is a good thing.
Old 09-30-12, 01:33 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chinese paint isn't as good as American paint.
Old 09-30-12, 01:43 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really...I have a no name chinese frame that has paint that is holding up better then my Specialized frames...
Old 09-30-12, 01:54 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
The first scuffs help you to obsess less and ride more/harder.

This is a good thing.
+1
Old 09-30-12, 02:13 PM
kyoto now

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, thanks for the responses everybody. I had no idra this was a normal thing. I'll do my best to get out and ride more and to stop obsessing over minuscule details. Thanks again!
Old 09-30-12, 10:16 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dont take the wheels off the bike, problem solved.
Old 10-01-12, 10:59 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
The only way to avoid any and all cosmetic imperfections is to hang your bike on the wall, and leave it there.

Old 10-01-12, 11:23 AM
Golfster

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On a positive note, the bike is slightly lighter now.
Old 10-01-12, 11:44 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Golfster
On a positive note, the bike is slightly lighter now.
+1. I stripped all the paint off my ti bike and saved ~75g. Get on that.

Old 10-01-12, 11:56 AM
NWS Alpine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThinLine
Chinese paint isn't as good as American paint.
That American paint is made in China