Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Oh, to stand in Eddy's shoes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 10:27 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Bikes: Yes, please.

Liked 4,899 Times in 1,833 Posts

I had my first clipless experience today. Last winter I bought a pair of NOS Podio shoes, complete with cleats and pedals for the proverbial song, but I hadn't dared to try them yet. This morning I felt lucky, so I put the pedals on my green Raleigh, the shoes on my feet, figured out how they worked, and off I went for a 20-mile ride in the autumn sunshine.

I must admit I like them. Getting in and out is a breeze, and they were quite comfortable from the very first moment. Actually, they are so nice, I am surprised that I don't see them more often. Are SPD's and LOOK's even better?

Old 09-30-12, 11:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,636 Times in 1,532 Posts
In about 1987, a friend of mine told me he loved his Looks, so I tried them. I loved them, too. But they're very hard to walk on. I remember once we were on a dock by the side of Carnegie Lake in Princeton, NJ, and the dock was sloped towards the water. We felt like we were on Teflon-coated shoes, at great risk of falling in the lake.

SPD are very versatile. Many SPD shoes have recessed cleats. I can walk in them all day. Shimano seems to make some of the best shoes, so I recommend you try some of those.

A couple of my bikes have those versatile pedals which are "regular" on one side and SPD on the other. (I won't call them "platform" because that word used to mean something else.) So when I'm not wearing my SPD shoes, I can pedal with no foot retention, which is fine.

I don't know why, but Shimano came out with SPD-SL which, if I'm not mistaken, is like Look but incompatible. Some people prefer them. I suspect they're optimized for road racing.

I've been wearing SPD's for a few years. They (and Looks) are easier to get into and out of than toe clips, so I love them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-30-12, 11:44 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 134 Times in 99 Posts
Look pedals and cleats are awesome but don't go strolling in these or Shimano SL pedals as they are not designed for this... SPD pedals are more versatile for on and off the bike adventures as many spd compatible shoes recess the cleat.
Old 09-30-12, 12:17 PM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Liked 462 Times in 158 Posts
What bike is that n-f? Posted by you it looks like a thing of the future.
Old 09-30-12, 01:20 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Originally Posted by noglider
In about 1987, a friend of mine told me he loved his Looks, so I tried them. I loved them, too. But they're very hard to walk on. I remember once we were on a dock by the side of Carnegie Lake in Princeton, NJ, and the dock was sloped towards the water. We felt like we were on Teflon-coated shoes, at great risk of falling in the lake.

SPD are very versatile. Many SPD shoes have recessed cleats. I can walk in them all day. Shimano seems to make some of the best shoes, so I recommend you try some of those.

A couple of my bikes have those versatile pedals which are "regular" on one side and SPD on the other. (I won't call them "platform" because that word used to mean something else.) So when I'm not wearing my SPD shoes, I can pedal with no foot retention, which is fine.

I don't know why, but Shimano came out with SPD-SL which, if I'm not mistaken, is like Look but incompatible. Some people prefer them. I suspect they're optimized for road racing.

I've been wearing SPD's for a few years. They (and Looks) are easier to get into and out of than toe clips, so I love them.
Thanks Tom. I can see the advantages of recessed cleats. I think I will buy a pair of those shoes, as some of the bikes I have bought over the years have come with SPD pedals, including the double-sided ones you mention. As for walking with these Podio's, it's not that bad:

https://prollyisnotprobably.com/2010/...kx-mondays-20/
Old 09-30-12, 01:31 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Originally Posted by CMAW
What bike is that n-f? Posted by you it looks like a thing of the future.
A thing of future passed (to quote the Moody Blues) more likely. It is actually a Raleigh Competition from 1984. Before repedalling it, it looked like this:

Old 09-30-12, 01:31 PM
well biked

Liked 166 Times in 91 Posts
If you do try SPD's, and you're going to be putting them on a road bike, I recommend Shimano's RT-82 shoes. I think "RT" stands for road touring. These are smooth-soled shoes, with a nice ratchet fastening system, the sole is made of rubber (so it's not slick at all), and the cleat is recessed like on SPD mountain bike shoes. These shoes are my new favorites for folks riding road bikes with SPD's, for touring bikes, etc. I have some I use on my commuter and I often end up just wearing the shoes all day, they're very comfortable.
Old 09-30-12, 01:36 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Originally Posted by well biked
If you do try SPD's, and you're going to be putting them on a road bike, I recommend Shimano's RT-82 shoes. I think "RT" stands for road touring. These are smooth-soled shoes, with a nice ratchet fastening system, the sole is made of rubber (so it's not slick at all), and the cleat is recessed like on SPD mountain bike shoes. These shoes are my new favorites for folks riding road bikes with SPD's, for touring bikes, etc. I have some I use on my commuter and I often end up just wearing the shoes all day, they're very comfortable.
Not with your Armani suit, I hope?

Edit: I have looked into cycling shoes that would look good when not cycling, and the best (or better: least ugly) I've seen so far are Shimano's MT21.

Last edited by non-fixie; 09-30-12 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-30-12, 01:49 PM
well biked

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Not with your Armani suit, I hope?
Nah, I work in a bike shop. I can wear my funny looking shoes and hardly anyone thinks I'm weird........but seriously, those RT-82's outsell anything else we have right now in the way of shoes. I really like them.
Old 09-30-12, 02:01 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

I wish I could have recessed cleats on these ...

Old 10-01-12, 08:30 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Liked 1,442 Times in 793 Posts
In about 1987, a friend of mine told me he loved his Looks, so I tried them. I loved them, too. But they're very hard to walk on.
Best investment I ever made in pedal technology was a set of cleat covers for my Looks.
Old 10-01-12, 09:14 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Liked 498 Times in 168 Posts
I've been riding clipless since the mid-90's when I bought a new road bike. At that time I loved the Sampson Stratics but the cleats were the most horrible thing about them - no chance in moving around with even a hint of coordination with those. But, the pedals were awesome.

I'm not using Look Delta or Delta compatible pedals on just about everything. Two bikes have the Performance Forte CR150 pedals which I like the best. I also have a set of the Forte Campus pedal which are the style noglider mentions - Shimano SPD on one side, platform on the other.

After riding the double sided Shimano SPD pedals on the mountain bikes I'm almost ready to put those on all the road bikes. There's just something so nice about not having to flip a pedal over to clip in or put the toe in the toe clip.

And, despite all the experience with clipless, I still periodically (every 3-4 yrs) have that screw up, try to unclip too late and go over sideways. Just ask Abarth.

Old 10-01-12, 09:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,636 Times in 1,532 Posts
I've seen pictures on the web (so you know they're real) of expensive dress shoes -- for men and women -- with SPD cleats embedded in them.

I'm planning to go to my local shoe repair shop and see what's involved in taking putting SPD soles (from rotten old bike shoes) into shoes of my choice. It may be prohibitively expensive, but if anyone can do it, my local shoe repair shop can. They are very good at what they do and have been in business since about the 1940's.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-01-12, 09:34 AM
due ruote 

Liked 529 Times in 322 Posts
Putting spd cleats on any leather soled dress shoe should be a fairly simple matter of removing the insole, drilling a couple holes, inserting t-nuts, and attaching the cleats. Embedding them in the sole so you can walk around will be much more difficult; I guess they'll need to build up the sole around the cleat, unless you're wearing platforms and they can rout out a recess.
Old 10-01-12, 10:57 AM
JPZ66

Bikes: 1949 'Italian' , 1950 San Giusto, 1897 Union, and a number of "projects"... 198? Grandis, a couple of Mixte's...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smontanaro
Best investment I ever made in pedal technology was a set of cleat covers for my Looks.
+1 Though I still don't walk too much in them, the rubber covers make a big difference, and most importantly, they protect the cleat !

Joe
Old 10-01-12, 11:45 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

I've seen pictures on the web (so you know they're real) of expensive dress shoes -- for men and women -- with SPD cleats embedded in them.

I'm planning to go to my local shoe repair shop and see what's involved in taking putting SPD soles (from rotten old bike shoes) into shoes of my choice. It may be prohibitively expensive, but if anyone can do it, my local shoe repair shop can. They are very good at what they do and have been in business since about the 1940's.
I've thought about that too, even about trying it myself, but I also came to the same conclusion as due ruote:

Putting spd cleats on any leather soled dress shoe should be a fairly simple matter of removing the insole, drilling a couple holes, inserting t-nuts, and attaching the cleats. Embedding them in the sole so you can walk around will be much more difficult; I guess they'll need to build up the sole around the cleat, unless you're wearing platforms and they can rout out a recess.
It will not look very elegant, I'm afraid.
Old 10-01-12, 11:47 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Cleat covers also help keep you bike shoes mostly clean of road grit that can eventually grind off the finish on your pedal where the cleat contacts it.

Chombi
Old 10-01-12, 11:50 AM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

Originally Posted by JPZ66
+1 Though I still don't walk too much in them, the rubber covers make a big difference, and most importantly, they protect the cleat !

Joe
One of the nice things about the Podio's is that you don't really walk on the cleats because of the way the sole is constructed:

Old 10-01-12, 12:38 PM
due ruote 

Liked 529 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie

It will not look very elegant, I'm afraid.
I don't know about that. It depends on the shoes and the bike.

Old 10-01-12, 12:53 PM
well biked

One of the coolest things I've seen in regard to SPD cleats/pedals is a picture I saw in a mountain bike magazine a few years ago. A pro racer had a cast on his lower leg and it also covered his foot. An SPD cleat was mounted on the bottom of the cast.
Old 10-01-12, 01:58 PM
non-fixie 
Polymultiplié

I stand corrected. I'd probably be frowned upon, although I think I could get away with the shoes.

Originally Posted by due ruote
I don't know about that. It depends on the shoes and the bike.