Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

3 bikes and a man not to mention the cat

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-12, 02:27 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

As many of us do, I have a pet, specifically a cat. Now as many men of a certain age male cats are prone to a particular type of urinary problem. So it was of no surprise to me when Goliath (the cat) started acting acutely uncomfortable on this sat morn past walking a bit bowlegged, not wishing to be touched and howling up a storm. (Having worked in urology for 31 years I recognized the signs as they are not dissimiliar) A quick call to the vet and off we went. $400 and 24 hrs later I picked him up and brought him home.

I came home last night to find the cat under a chair looking quite miserable and a quick check revealed a repeat of the problem. Another call to the vet, another trip and the dollar signs setting off warning lights in my head. But what can you do? Seems a bit cruel to put him down because I didn't like the cost. Besides he's a OK cat if a bit needy. I thought that they were supposed to be aloof?

This am the vet called to request his meds as they are going to keep him a couple of days. So I change up pull out one of my bikes and ride over to do as requested. As I left the vets I got to thinking about cost. Here I was riding a bike that I have $2500 into with 2 more bikes at home and I'm whining about $800. Suddenly it didn't seem so bad. Truth be told I would and will probably have to spend a bit more. Heck, if I couldn't urinate (lets keep it clinical ) I'd spend a lot more than that for a bit of relief! That and the 30 mile ride on a beautiful day certainly helped to put it all in perspective.! Still, $800 goes a long way towards a custom built frame...
Old 10-02-12, 02:38 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Sorry about the cat. He needs relief from walking.

Perhaps . . .

Old 10-02-12, 02:47 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
>.< My beloved jerk of a cat ended up coming out to 2k with the same problem... no repeats though. But the special food for life thing kinda sucks, and I don't know about to you.. but my cat helps me stay sane so worth every penny.
Old 10-02-12, 04:01 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of our cats (a three-legged cat, not that there's any physiological connection) had a $500 weekend for basically the same thing. At one point, he had crystals in his urine, so they're all (4) eating the same urinary tract health food now. No more problems since.
Old 10-02-12, 07:39 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I have spent much more for a cat's vet bill when one broke off the end of a hip bone in the right leg in 1983. Rod in the leg and 6 weeks of carrying her around when necessary and enough money to make most of 2 teacher's yearly salaries. Worth it though, current ruler of the house, and our dog, is healthy, right now, crap, shouldn't have said that.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 10-03-12 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-02-12, 08:06 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When she was young, our female cat developed a problem with crystals in her urine and an inability to relieve herself. The trip to the vet was interesting, watching him help her, um, "express" herself. After it happened a second time, she was put on prescription food that prevented it ever occurring again. Now she's on a different prescription food, this one for old cats (she turned 15 this year).
Old 10-02-12, 08:54 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Sorry about the cat. He needs relief from walking.

Perhaps . . .

Old 10-02-12, 09:13 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
You are not alone, rck. Earlier this year, my dog, Ted, started this choking thing--horking and gagging incessantly. The morning following a sleepless night where he did it all night, I took the day off to take him to the vet. I thought he must have had something caught in his throat. He coughed and choked all the way to the vet's office. I feared he would need to be put down because of a massive throat tumour.

Examinations, throat xrays, and observation period equaling the cost of the new Trek Cocoa I had been coveting, revealed nothing. When I went to pick him, the vet said, "He hasn't done it since he's been here. It's probably allergies." I brought him home; he didn't do it again. I swear he was doing it for attention. I wanted to change his name to "Cocoa."

Last edited by miss kenton; 10-02-12 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-03-12, 06:53 AM
TomD77

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Same thing happened with this cat but the cumulative total between 3 emergency vet trips and stays and then an operation that I REALLY wouldn't want to have was over $2K.

Old 10-03-12, 11:51 AM
Texasplumr

Bikes: Raleigh Misceo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had to put my cat Spooky down on Friday. 16 years old with many health issues. I spent thousands on him in the last 3 years just to keep him feeling well. Renal failure 3 years ago and discovering 2 tumors 2 years ago, it has been a struggle. But truth be told, he was the only one who didn't know how sick he was until the first part of September. Up until that time he was a happy playful cat, and my best buddy. I just picked up his remains today. He fit into a tiny cedar box. I'll be a while getting over this loss.

I could have used the money I spent on his health care for many things. But today, I'm so happy I tried as hard as I did to make him feel good and keep him comfortable. He showed me so much affection over the years. I'll always miss him. Bikes will come and go. Pets are eternal.
Old 10-03-12, 11:54 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasplumr
Just had to put my cat Spooky down on Friday. 16 years old with many health issues. I spent thousands on him in the last 3 years just to keep him feeling well. Renal failure 3 years ago and discovering 2 tumors 2 years ago, it has been a struggle. But truth be told, he was the only one who didn't know how sick he was until the first part of September. Up until that time he was a happy playful cat, and my best buddy. I just picked up his remains today. He fit into a tiny cedar box. I'll be a while getting over this loss.

I could have used the money I spent on his health care for many things. But today, I'm so happy I tried as hard as I did to make him feel good and keep him comfortable. He showed me so much affection over the years. I'll always miss him. Bikes will come and go. Pets are eternal.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 10-03-12, 12:43 PM
Texasplumr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks
Old 10-03-12, 01:49 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasplumr

Sorry for your loss. Seven years ago we put our 17 year old cat down after her third bout with cancer. We had done surgery twice but the vet said it had spread too much for any further surgery. I was willing to spend more money for her care but the vet said she had had a good life and it was time to let her go.

Two weeks ago we had to put our 6 year old cat down with renal failure. She had kidney problems since birth and it finally became too much for her.

I'm sure we'll be at the local pet rescue center in a couple months.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 10-03-12, 02:06 PM
Texasplumr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Sorry for your loss. Seven years ago we put our 17 year old cat down after her third bout with cancer. We had done surgery twice but the vet said it had spread too much for any further surgery. I was willing to spend more money for her care but the vet said she had had a good life and it was time to let her go.

Two weeks ago we had to put our 6 year old cat down with renal failure. She had kidney problems since birth and it finally became too much for her.

I'm sure we'll be at the local pet rescue center in a couple months.
Sorry for your loss....Rescue kitties are the best. Good on ya!
Old 10-04-12, 08:54 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The local animal control shelter asked me to foster a little rat terrier. Sad story, she got hit by a car, somebody dumped her at a vet's office, he thought she had a broken pelvis. He scanned her, found a microchip and called the owners, they wouldn't claim her because they were afraid of a big vet bill. Vet didn't want her, of course, so he called animal control. They picked her up and their vet x-rayed her and found nothing broken, she was just bruised. She was walking again the next day. They called me and asked me to foster her until her scrapes and bruises healed and they could find her a permanent home. They knew exactly what they were doing, I adopted her three days later.
I'd like to think the former owners were in desperate financial straits, to give her up. I would sell all my bikes, my boat, my car, and my furniture if I had to, to pay for her health care. Their loss is my gain, she is just a delightful little thing.
Old 10-04-12, 10:43 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CraigB
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Same here... I know how that feels. They give a lot to us.