Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Holy crap Kettlebells are awesome!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-12, 07:16 PM
Big Pete 1982

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I've been dreading the crappy weather that will reach me here in Washington any day now and likely last until around June of next year (not even joking!). I rode in the cold and rain last winter but it sucked and wasn't fun. I was looking for a different workout for crappy days. I tried the "Insanity" workout and found it to be a bit too intense for me. I was listening to the Joe Rogan podcast the other day and he was talking about how his entire workout is with just 1 kettlebell. And that dude is ripped! So I bought a 25 pound kettlebell that came with a DVD. I tried it out today and I had to tap out about 15 minutes in! It's mostly doing squats and lunges while swinging the bell in different ways and after squatting nonstop for 15 minutes my chest was burning and my legs felt like jello! Kettlebells are supposed to be great for core strength and abs. I can totally see that as it feels like I did a hundred crunches! I'm gonna try to keep up this workout and hopefully get to where I can complete the entire 50 minute workout. I'm still a little shocked that 1 25 pound kettlebell has kicked my butt this much!
Old 10-07-12, 09:16 PM
SRR

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Fuji Aloha, Giant OCR2, an older Giant XTC, and a couple of singlespeeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I completely agree - I took some Crossfit classes for a while, and they were all about the kettlebells - I became a big fan. I'd like to eventually buy some for home use.
Old 10-10-12, 11:58 PM
aenlaasu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish my gym had kettlebells. I've toyed with getting one for home use, but just lack the confidence to do so. That and the idea of squats make my already bad knees want to scream.
Old 10-11-12, 03:57 AM
jim p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a look at an online workout and it looked pretty intense. I think that I could get the same workout with a 5 lb dumbbell. I might be able to work up to a higher weight but 25 lbs seems to be pretty heavy to me. Also like mentioned the deep squats might be a problem for the knees. Younger fellows can probably just dive in and hit it hard. For us older guys it might be better to just ease into the program of this different exercise.

It is interesting enough that I will probably have to grab a dumbbell and do some experimenting.
Old 10-11-12, 07:23 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
squats make my already bad knees want to scream
Always check with your doctor or physical therapist first but properly done squats actually strenthen the knees. I have bad knees from car accidents and sports injuries, as well has a few decades of being grossly overweight, and squats and lunges have made a huge difference in strength and stability. The key is to do them properly, so get a qualified trainer or PT to watch you the first few times to correct your form. Most people who just grab a barbell and start squatting do so with horrendous form and that is where the knee injuries take place. Like any other resistance training, start light and work your way up. If you are doing low rep maxes within your first few months, you are screwing up, connective tissue grows more slowly than muscle so give it time to catch up before throwing on any big weights. As a final note, please squat safe, if you are going to get under a bar, use an appropriate rack, stands and/or spotters. If you have to do squats alone, use dumbbells, kettlebells or machines, or at least do them inside a squat cage.

Last edited by Myosmith; 10-11-12 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-13-13, 11:24 PM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was going to post something about kettlebells here but thought I'd just bump this thread.. they'd be great for cyclists though I'm using them as part of the 'four hour body' to build muscle in lieu of deadlifts. Proper form is important. They really work the core which is why I mention this exercise here.

Here's a video on proper form and how to make your own kettlebell setup where you can use weights. I used 3/4 inch inner diameter and weight with a one inch inner diameter hole fit perfectly. Then I just use a piece of microfoam tape which I can get for free at work and it holds all the weights in place, though you may want to try something more sturdy. Anyways the videos

The Perfect Posterior: Kettlebell Swings and Cheap Alternatives

You should be able to find the pieces to make your kettlebells at home depot or a local runnings fleet farm type store, otherwise you can order the "Hungarian Core Blaster", which is basically the same thing but costs more, online.

Another site that shows the homemade kettlebell setup, though I would recommend the 4 inch length for the handles, the 6 inch are wider than necessary. Also if you can find some free caps to put on the ends of the handles, which my store had on some larger length pieces, it's a free way to cover up the threading.

Setup works best with 10 pound (and 5 pound) standard cast iron plates by cap barbell, with the one inch diameter inside holes.. I personally find the large vinyl weights the author of the below site uses a bit annoying. With 10 pound plates you could fit 120 pounds on one, but a road biker won't need anywhere near that much weight.

https://ianrobertanderson.com/diy-adjustable-kettlebell/

Last edited by dissident; 04-13-13 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-14-13, 11:38 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Liked 459 Times in 240 Posts
That's neat. Kettlebells are a serious workout. Great for those rainy days.
Old 04-15-13, 10:00 PM
Big Pete 1982

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I posted this thread a while back. Interesting to see it resurrected. I have maintained a kettlebell routine as part of my regular workout regimen since I posted this thread. At the time I posted this, we were well in to the 9 months of rain we get here in Washington, so I wasn't doing much cycling. Instead I would run at the gym on the treadmill, lift weights, and 1-2 days a week I would do a kettlebell routine. This spring when the sun finally came out, I hopped on the bike expecting to be sluggish and slow from not riding for several months. I was pleasantly surprised when I felt like an absolute beast on the bike! Especially in the hills. My average speeds didn't drop at all and it used to be if I stood out of the saddle and pedaled, I would be gasping for air within seconds. Now I'm powering up hills that used to kick my ass. I'd have to say that is 100% due to all the kettlebell squat/swings I've been doing.
Old 04-18-13, 02:46 PM
dissident

Bikes: Felt Z85

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
something of note, the correct form of doing the swing is not entirely correct in the video I posted... the neck should remain neutral with the spine, meaning on the downswing your head/neck should be neutral with your spine and not bent looking upward straight ahead like he was doing it.

Key Aspects of the Kettlebell Swing
  • Your back is flat, and your head stays inline with your spine throughout the movement
  • Your weight is on the heels of your feet, and your knees stay in line with your toes (they never collapse inward or extend outward)
  • You engage your lats(back and armpit muscles) to keep your shoulder pulled back and down into its socket
  • There is no forward knee movement, your knees bend only as much as your butt goes back
  • This is not an arm exercise! Your butt, hamstrings, and lower back power the movement entirely, your arms never lift the bell
  • You stand straight up at the top of the swing, never leaning backwards. Your knees and hips are locked out as well
  • Swing high! The kettlebell handle never passes below the knees

A kettlebell workout with the right weight as as intense a cardio workout as sprinting, you can find yourself gasping for air sprawled out on the floor when you are done, it also builds muscle like sprinting does. If a person could only do one exercise the rest of their life, I'd pick kettlebell swings or squats. I do sustained moderate pace jogging because I enjoy it, but from what I've researched there's not much benefit to be had from it.. though there's not much benefit to be had from extended road biking sessions either, it's high intensity interval pacing that really brings the most benefit for the least time... but I like biking, so I won't give that up either.

Last edited by dissident; 04-18-13 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 08:32 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
If you want to add a little adventure to your kettlebell swing, stand on a BOSU ball..flat side up. I've seen one routine where you jump from the floor to the BOSU (round side up) at the bottom of the swing, and jump back again after two reps, alternating between floor and BOSU as your platform. Obviously, not a safe routine for everyone..and you can't get a wide stance unless you use two BOSUs.
Old 07-13-14, 10:26 AM
Anthony Jones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I agree with you.

Last edited by Anthony Jones; 07-15-14 at 08:00 AM.