Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

new to recumbents

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

new to recumbents

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 10:16 PM
lonegunman88240

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new to recumbents

hey guys former upright rider now disabled trike pilot, needing to know if anyone has tried using solid tubes on their trikes? i suffer from chronic pain and have very little flexibilty, and fixing flats on the side of the road is a huge deal for me, i like the idea of solid tubes but heard that the rolling resistance is very bad like rolling on flats, id appreciate any info available, btw its a terratrike rover

patrick
Old 10-10-12, 09:25 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Liked 702 Times in 418 Posts
Unless you're running over really bad stuff, like nails or those industrial size staples, you could probably just put some good tire liners in. I used to run tire liners (I forget what brand) in my tubes, and even in Southern Arizona, I went years without getting a flat.
Old 10-10-12, 10:08 AM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No direct experience but I've heard for other riders that solid tubes provide a ride similar to filling our tires with cement.

My wife has exactly zero interest in fixing flats or calling home for rescue so we've equipped her trike with Slime super thick "thorn proof" tubes. I dislike sealants because of their potential for making a mess and fouling valves and the tubes are super heavy. All that notwithstanding my wife is a happy rider even in our goathead infested part of the world.
Old 10-10-12, 10:24 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Schwalbe marathon plus, just make sure to replace at 10,000 miles instead of 15,000 (that is, once the blue shows through).
Old 10-10-12, 11:26 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 755 Times in 463 Posts
Yes, airless tires ride very harshly. In addition, they're hard on your rims and spokes because road shocks are not evenly distributed by the air in the tire, they're transmitted almost directly to the rim. You really don't want airless if you can possibly avoid it.
Old 10-29-12, 06:01 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Walmart has solid tire filler rubber things,rings, loops I dunno,,20" Is what I held,,

Was not too too heavy,,felt In my hand like 30 psi,,prolly twice that feel or more inside the proper tire,,

I would think they are for Kids with hyper energy and best for BMX riding,,

I think they were cheap,,do a write up for us !
Old 11-15-12, 04:43 PM
chainringmd5500

Bikes: trikes, recumbent, Friday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
solid tire response

Originally Posted by lonegunman88240
hey guys former upright rider now disabled trike pilot, needing to know if anyone has tried using solid tubes on their trikes? i suffer from chronic pain and have very little flexibilty, and fixing flats on the side of the road is a huge deal for me, i like the idea of solid tubes but heard that the rolling resistance is very bad like rolling on flats, id appreciate any info available, btw its a terratrike rover

patrick
Patrick..new to this site, but have a positive response..I've had people on tours that ride the solid tires on their trikes with good success. As I understand, these tires come with different stiffness, or inflation stiffness..you decide whether you want higher inflation, or lower, and order the tire of your decision.
Many trike riders in northern climes use them in winter without having to inflate each day due to cold air loss.
Chainring
Old 11-15-12, 08:41 PM
mchell

Bikes: Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Bullet proof! Mike
Old 12-26-12, 11:09 AM
tctdvm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTlZvOVG8zs

about 1 min in...

I believe the sealant works just fine with standard butyl tubes.

T
Old 12-26-12, 02:46 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 755 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by chainringmd5500
Many trike riders in northern climes use them in winter without having to inflate each day due to cold air loss.
Chainring
This is a non-issue in my book. Tires/tubes lose air less slowly in cold.
Old 12-26-12, 03:20 PM
tpy2010

Bikes: Trek 5500, 3 Catrike expeditions with various modifications, red line mountain bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not to be argumentative.....

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=73

Since air is a gas, it expands when heated and contracts when cooled. In most parts of North America, this makes fall and early winter months the most critical times to check inflation pressures...days are getting shorter...ambient temperatures are getting colder...and your tires' inflation pressure is going down!
Old 12-26-12, 05:49 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 645 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by mchell
+1 for Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Bullet proof! Mike
Good puncture resistance but not the easiest tires in the world to uninstall or to reinstall onto rims. I don't usually need a tire lever or any other tool to install bike tires but I'm getting a Kool Stop tire bead jack for use with the Marathons on my Kettweisel.