Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Moustache / All-Rounder bars with brifters

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 12:43 PM
RLHawk

Bikes: Milwaukee Orange One, Specialized Tarmac, Trek X02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Gunnar CrossHairs frame that is just a little too big for me to use for cyclocross, but is perfect to use for a commuter/city bike setup with moustache / all-rounder bars. In an effort to reuse parts I have, I would like to setup this commuter using the sram rival levers I have.

The bars I’m considering are:
NITTO Jitensha
NITTO RM-016 Moustache Handlebar (I’m a little concerned that the reach may be to long.)
VeloOrange Postino
VeloOrange Proteour
I may have to ship the grip for these bars to work.

Does anyone out there have experience with such a setup? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-12, 01:32 PM
cwk132

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my opinion, drop bars are pretty damn good all-rounder bars, they even are designed to work perfectly with brifters. Get some shallow drops and set it up so you're actually comfortable using them, and you have 3 hand positions of varying reach and drop.
Old 10-10-12, 03:06 PM
RLHawk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cwk132
Get some shallow drops and set it up so you're actually comfortable using them, and you have 3 hand positions of varying reach and drop.
The frame is to big. Only way I could get comfortable on the frame with a drop bar is with a 70 mm stem, or possibly shorter. Instead of doing that, I'm would like to try a bar that sweeps back. Ideal solution would be a different frame, but I have not been able to sell this one, so I'm trying to get things to work with what I have on hand.
Old 10-10-12, 05:46 PM
cwk132

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another option would maybe be indexed bar-end shifters (time trial shifters), and some brakes set up wherever is most comfortable with whatever bar you choose. Would probably be cheaper than brifters, and would give you a little more flexibility as to how you set it up. I would probably do that before trying to get brifters to work on a set of mustache bars.

^^^ Like that for the shifters, then just throw the brakes wherever is most comfortable for ya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P6120066.JPG (23.7 KB, 77 views)
Old 10-10-12, 05:49 PM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
road trigger shifters

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/produc...speed-shifters
Old 10-10-12, 05:52 PM
Fiery

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RLHawk
The frame is to big. Only way I could get comfortable on the frame with a drop bar is with a 70 mm stem, or possibly shorter. Instead of doing that, I'm would like to try a bar that sweeps back. Ideal solution would be a different frame, but I have not been able to sell this one, so I'm trying to get things to work with what I have on hand.
Nothing wrong with a short stem - I have a beater bike with a 60 mm stem and drop bars, no problems whatsoever.

Also keep in mind that going to a bar that sweeps back has the same net effect as a shorter stem as far as handling goes. It's all about where your hands are, not where the stem ends.
Old 10-10-12, 06:50 PM
RLHawk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another option would maybe be indexed bar-end shifters (time trial shifters), and some brakes set up wherever is most comfortable with whatever bar you choose. Would probably be cheaper than brifters, and would give you a little more flexibility as to how you set it up. I would probably do that before trying to get brifters to work on a set of mustache bars.

^^^ Like that for the shifters, then just throw the brakes wherever is most comfortable for ya.
The attached pic is very much what I'm thinking. Bar-end shifters probably would be a better fit for this application, BUT... I already have a brifters. Instead of buying bar-end shifters and break levers, I want to try to use what I have.
Old 10-10-12, 07:19 PM
RLHawk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiery
Nothing wrong with a short stem - I have a beater bike with a 60 mm stem and drop bars, no problems whatsoever.

Also keep in mind that going to a bar that sweeps back has the same net effect as a shorter stem as far as handling goes. It's all about where your hands are, not where the stem ends.
Really? (no sarcasm intended)

So a 'city bike' like this example from mapcyles https://www.flickr.com/photos/mapcycl...n/photostream/ is compromising the handling by using a swept back bar?

Maybe it's really just aesthetics, but in my mind a bike setup like mapcycles above would be more comfortable and better handling than a same bike with shorter stem and drop bars. To me it looks like both setups would place hands in similar position, assuming most time is spent on the tops of a drop bar. A further swept back bar, like a true mustache bar, or northroad bar, would allow hands to come back more.

I’m also looking at Bridgestone XO-1's for inspiration: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8911974...57594510405255
Old 10-12-12, 04:17 PM
rebel1916

Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts
In my opinion, drop bars are pretty damn good all-rounder bars, they even are designed to work perfectly with brifters. Get some shallow drops and set it up so you're actually comfortable using them, and you have 3 hand positions of varying reach and drop.
This makes a lot more sense than the OPs plan.
Old 10-12-12, 04:34 PM
Violet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would not want to use drop bars off road - flared "dirt drop" style notwithstanding.
Old 10-12-12, 09:08 PM
Velo Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YMMV, but I think the effect of stem length on handling is way exaggerated. I commute on an old Bridgestone MB that was my main mountain bike from about 1985-88, then has done a lot of different jobs since then, including a century just to see if I could do it. It's had stems from 60cm to 150cm, and the adjustment to the allegedly different handling takes literally zero time. it's barely noticeable.
Old 10-13-12, 08:30 AM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
YMMV, but I think the effect of stem length on handling is way exaggerated.
I could not agree more. Even riding with hands off the bars, in which case stem length is obviously not an issue, touring frames are stable and racing frames are twitchy. I have even seen someone on a hybrid with the quill stem turned backwards, and she had no trouble with it.