Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

fitting an inner tube and making it fit

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 12:46 AM
kaze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm seriously annoyed at the moment, just spent there hours suffering and screaming trying to fit a new inner tube on my bike. When I eventually did get my bike put back together again and tried it out....the damn thing didn't work. The tube doesn't fit. It is definitely the right size and it looked like it fit ok when I put it in my wheel. But....its just not working. The outer part of the tyre is sticking up in some places and covering way too much in others. How do you get it to work?
I've heard of people being able to fit inner tubes in a few minutes and it supposidely being easy but....yeah. It has pushed me to the brink.
Old 10-14-12, 01:15 AM
dabac

Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Unless the size is seriously off, it's unlikely to be due to something being wrong with the tube.
Most common issue is that you've gotten the reinforcement around the valve trapped under the bead(s). With the tube (almost) uninflated, back off the valve nut(if you use one) and push the valve into the tire. Wiggle the tire around a bit by the valve.
2nd most common is that the tube itself has gotten caught under the bead. Easily remedied by having just enough air in the tube to give it some shape as you wrangle the 2nd bead into place.

The rest is down to the tire. Some will snap in place just like that, others will require more work.
Tricks people apply are:
-inflate half way, work your way around pulling the tire side to side to encourage an even fit.
-use talc or soapy water on the rim/tire,
- inflate to overpressure, hope for it to pop into place
- or a combination of the above
Old 10-14-12, 04:24 AM
kaze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think there's a problem anywhere near the valve, the locking screw is on pretty tight and the valve looks to be sticking out a pretty normal distance.
Pumping up the tube should distribute things evenly right without doing anything special?

hmm, made all the harder as my bike seems to be of a rather different design to all the ones you see on vaious guides.
Old 10-14-12, 06:37 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kaze
1. I don't think there's a problem anywhere near the valve, the locking screw is on pretty tight and the valve looks to be sticking out a pretty normal distance.

2. Pumping up the tube should distribute things evenly right without doing anything special?

3. hmm, made all the harder as my bike seems to be of a rather different design to all the ones you see on vaious guides.
1. The previous post gave you pretty accurate and complete instructions. I would suggest you follow them, especially related to the valve stem. The valve stem itself is not the problem, it's the reinforcement around it that may be sitting underneath the tire bead. Push the tire bead away from the rim on both sides, all the way around the wheel, and make sure there is no tube laying between rim and tire.

2. If you are asking Should pumping up the tube should distribute things evenly...?" - again, refer to the previous post: Some will snap in place just like that, others will require more work.

3. A tire is a tire, a tube is a tube. There's nothing likely special at all about those parts on your bike.

If you are still having difficulty I would suggest you look around for someone who has a nice bike, helmet, etc and see if s/he is willing to help you learn how to do it properly.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 10-14-12 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-14-12, 08:58 AM
Crankycrank

Liked 1,124 Times in 776 Posts
Also agree with the other posters in that you probably just didn't install the tube correctly. IMO you should, as mentioned already, find someone with experience to show you how to install a tube and how to inspect your work properly. There are certain procedures you need to follow to make installation fast and easy. Everybody struggles at first. If you can't recruit a live body check YouTube, etc.
Old 10-14-12, 07:32 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The lock nut should not be installed on the valve until after the tire is seated. (if at all.) With the lock nut installed, the stem cannot move into the tire to let the bead seat.