Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Where to find Shimano FH-HF08 freehub parts?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-12, 09:18 AM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

We busted our FH-HF08 freehub, specifically the freehub body, part number Y3A598070. The only places on the internet I've been able to find a replacement part are in the Europe. I'll call the LBS where I originally bought the hub but, because this is marketed as a tandem specific hub, does anyone know a US supplier that might have it or if there's a compatible freehub body?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 10-26-12, 07:26 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
I thought that nearly all Shimano freehubs (except for some Dura-Ace) used interchangeable freehubs. Sheldon Brown goes into considerable detail in his discussion about "transplanting" bodies onto hubs. I realize, going through the exploded parts diagrams on Shimano's website, that the different hub models use freehubs with different part numbers and I suppose there might be some differences, but my understanding is that they'll all fit. Mind you, I've never actually done this, so I hope I'm not steering you wrong, but that is what the late St. Sheldon says.
Old 10-27-12, 04:15 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was under the impression the freehub on the tandem hubs was an XT level 8/9 speed freehub. I could be wrong, we don't use the hubs currently but have had them previously.

PK
Old 10-27-12, 02:52 PM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I'd also be very surprised if the freehub body was not the same as that used on many other Shimano hubs. I'm planning to overhaul our rear hub soon (which is the same model), so I'll know for sure then.

Last edited by Chris_W; 10-27-12 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-28-12, 07:41 AM
professorbob

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If it comes down to it, call Santana. They use that hub and might have access to parts. Otherwise, try throwing an XT body on it and see what happens!
Old 10-29-12, 11:32 AM
dstke

Bikes: Chinook custom road tandem, 2000 Litespeed, Santa Cruz SOLO C, Bontrager Race Lite, C'Dale 06 Mountain Tandem

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The freehub body broke while we were touring. When the bike mechanic removed it he noticed that the base of the freehub body was slightly thicker than other Shimano Freehub bodies. He was able to adapt one to the hub by adding a thin washer, however advised that there were no guarantees that it would work. It lasted us another week and we were able to complete our trip. However on the last day the freehub began to slip. I found a good article on this here, https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tandemparts.asp. Note the advice, "Shimano tandem hubs may not be the best choice for heavy loaded touring in hilly terrain or mountain biking. The freehub body can sometimes crack from the high torque caused by extremely low gearing and steep hills." This is pretty much what happened to us and we were touring in hilly terrain. I ended up ordering new Phil Wood hubs for front and back.
Old 10-29-12, 12:29 PM
ksisler

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have several of the Shimano Tandem hubsets currently in use but haven't broken one so far. If I did and if I could justify the cost, there is no doubt that a Phil Wood hub would be on the buy list. I had started using the Phil tandem hubs on 48-spoke wheels I built myself for tandem touring starting back in 1975 or '76, and they always impressed me. The bolt-on versions are esecially nice.