Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

we both broke the law - but his was worse, lol

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 07:26 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 10-20-12, 07:44 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which motorist are you referring to?
Old 10-20-12, 08:08 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
The OP was half way into the intersection before the light turned red, not sure about traffic laws in the OP's locale, but locally, that would be considered legal. The car creeping out into the intersection on a red light was definitely doing it illegally.
Old 10-20-12, 08:22 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am in California. I thought I broke the law because I entered on yellow. Is that not illegal ?
Old 10-20-12, 08:23 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
The OP was half way into the intersection before the light turned red, not sure about traffic laws in the OP's locale, but locally, that would be considered legal. The car creeping out into the intersection on a red light was definitely doing it illegally.
+1, bike wsa OK, car was NOT.
Old 10-20-12, 08:26 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Angio Graham
I am in California. I thought I broke the law because I entered on yellow. Is that not illegal ?
If you have time to safely stop on the yellow without entering the intersection, then you should do so. But entering the intersection on a yellow is not illegal.

So both the white SUV that ran a red light and the pedestrian standing in the middle of the bike lane both flat out broke the law.
Old 10-20-12, 08:28 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
If you have time to safely stop on the yellow without entering the intersection, then you should do so. But entering the intersection on a yellow is not illegal.

So both the white SUV that ran a red light and the pedestrian standing in the middle of the bike lane both flat out broke the law.

Hmm, well I guess I didnt break the law after all.

And the person in the bike lane was actually a skateboarder. Dont know about the legality of that.
Old 10-21-12, 07:36 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, well I guess I didnt break the law after all.

And the person in the bike lane was actually a skateboarder. Dont know about the legality of that.
No you didn't break the law; however, you clearly don't understanding the rules of the road, so you should probably spend some time studying them before you do much more riding on streets...
Old 10-21-12, 08:11 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
No you didn't break the law; however, you clearly don't understanding the rules of the road, so you should probably spend some time studying them before you do much more riding on streets...
Or start Internet campaigns about how wrong all the LEO's are about everything.
Old 10-21-12, 08:16 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

When lights are timed for motor vehicle speeds, I have done the same as the OP on several occasions. Generally, there is a timed delay of 1 to 3 seconds between red lights to allow for such a situation. The motorist in the OP's video, who drove through the red light, clearly needs to study the rules of the road before they do much more driving.
Old 10-21-12, 09:27 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When lights are timed for motor vehicle speeds, I have done the same as the OP on several occasions. Generally, there is a timed delay of 1 to 3 seconds between red lights to allow for such a situation. The motorist in the OP's video, who drove through the red light, clearly needs to study the rules of the road before they do much more driving.
What tripe, my comment has nothing to do with what the OP did, but rather his admitted ignorance concerning the traffic laws he is subject to. If one is going to ride on the street, one has an obligation to understand the traffic laws one is subject to... The motorist isn't the one posting their ignorance on the internet...
Old 10-21-12, 10:28 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

If one is going to ride on the street, one has an obligation to understand the traffic laws one is subject to...
....and we here at BF need to be a bit more supportive in helping other cyclists in understanding the rules of the road, rather than rubbing their noses in it.

Last edited by dynodonn; 10-21-12 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-21-12, 10:45 AM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....and we here at BF need to be a bit more supportive in helping other cyclists in understanding the rules of the road, rather than rubbing their noses in it.
How is someone to know they need to read up on the traffic laws if someone doesn't point that out? Which is all I did (and politely while I was at it). That is certainly better than the typical blaming of motorists (which is what your post did, well that and the signal designers...). Such blame is pointless, when the motorist in question is not participating in the discussion...
Old 10-21-12, 11:05 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

How is someone to know they need to read up on the traffic laws if someone doesn't point that out? Which is all I did (and politely while I was at it). That is certainly better than the typical blaming of motorists (which is what your post did, well that and the signal designers...).

Not every road users completely understands all the rules of the road, unlike you, I informed the OP that his actions may not be illegal, and that the motorist's actions were, that was all. I did not tell the OP to limit riding his bike until he better understands the rules of the road, when there are other road users who, in the OP's video, blatantly ignore them.
Old 10-21-12, 11:30 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
If it was illegal to enter an intersection on a yellow, there'd be no distinction between yellow and red and no point in having yellow. A long time ago (within my memory) there were traffic lights that were only green or red and it was quickly realized the difficulty that posed for approaching traffic when the light turned red. To solve this without adding another color, when the red light would come on the green light would stay illuminated for some seconds. The period with both lights illuminated served the same function as yellow does today, which is to signify an impending red so that you should either proceed or stop depending on speed/distance from the intersection.
Old 10-21-12, 11:31 AM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I havent had a moving infraction in over 17 years of driving. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 10-21-12, 11:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 1,066 Posts
I havent had a moving infraction in over 17 years of driving. Thanks for the advice though.
Didn't John Gotti claim for many years he was pure as the driven snow because nobody ever pinned a rap on him; until one day his luck ran out?
Old 10-21-12, 11:58 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by Looigi
To solve this without adding another color, when the red light would come on the green light would stay illuminated for some seconds. The period with both lights illuminated served the same function as yellow does today, which is to signify an impending red so that you should either proceed or stop depending on speed/distance from the intersection.
I'm glad that they no longer use this type of signal light, talk about sending a mixed signal to motorists and other road users. KISS.

Last edited by dynodonn; 10-21-12 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-21-12, 12:26 PM
Johnonaschwinn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride that section in Redondo almost every day. howdy neighbor.

I had to sell my truck cause of tickets and the cost of insurance.

You can go through a yellow if the front wheels are past the LIMIT line.
Old 10-21-12, 12:35 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

'Rules of the Road' are the traffic laws, of which the OP did not violate. Perhaps 'Defensive Driving' guidelines might be more helpful to the OP.

Last edited by CB HI; 10-21-12 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-21-12, 01:02 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Didn't John Gotti claim for many years he was pure as the driven snow because nobody ever pinned a rap on him; until one day his luck ran out?
I'm just a guy who entered an intersection on yellow.

However, when I was 14 yrs old I almost got a ticket at that exact intersectoin because I ran the red light on my rollerblades. The police officer who stopped me decided to let me go with a warning.

Last edited by CbadRider; 10-22-12 at 10:03 AM. Reason: attempting to clean up thread
Old 10-21-12, 01:23 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
'Rules of the Road' are the traffic laws, of which the OP did not violate. Perhaps 'Defensive Driving' guidelines might be more helpful to the OP.
No. What my post was saying was that the OP was clearly unaware of whether he broke the law or not, hence the need to actually learn the rules of the road... (which are yes, the TRAFFIC LAWS)...
Old 10-21-12, 01:24 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whether you have been ticketed is irrelevant, by your own admission you DIDN'T KNOW if what you did was legal or illegal, hence your obvious need to do a little studying...
Old 10-21-12, 01:29 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

However, when I was 14 yrs old I almost got a ticket at that exact intersectoin because I ran the red light on my rollerblades. The police officer who stopped me decided to let me go with a warning.
Maybe the cop was being nice by not giving a ticket, but more likely, he did not want to deal with the CA legal BS for that traffic violation.

In CA (CO as well), traffic violations are criminal acts. If a CA cop issues a ticket and they are not able to reasonably identify the ticketed, as would be difficult for a 14 year old who does not have a drivers license, state ID card or criminal record, CA police procedural law requires the cop to take the ticketed individual to the nearest magistrate so that bail may be established and collected. The law is designed to prevent individuals from giving false names and get away without paying the ticket. CA hates missing out on cash income. Your Cop probably did not want to go through all the legal procedural BS for ticketing a kid.
Old 10-21-12, 01:33 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

No. What my post was saying was that the OP was clearly unaware of whether he broke the law or not, hence the need to actually learn the rules of the road... (which are yes, the TRAFFIC LAWS)...
Pretty much mute since he did not break the law. Please do tell us that you know and understand every single tax law so that you are certain that you have never broken the law. How about every OSHA and EPA regulation, those are legal requirements as well?

So give the OP a break on a very minor issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.