Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Continental city ride tyres

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 01:41 PM
Jimbo47

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Anyone used these before, can't find many reviews? Thinking about getting a new set and the price looks right!
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=39394
Old 11-01-12, 01:43 PM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Continental gear... should be pretty good and the price is sweet.
Old 11-01-12, 01:46 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Liked 1,255 Times in 631 Posts
I Like their tires, but not their tubes.

Old 11-01-12, 03:43 PM
Jimbo47

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've had a set of Continental pros on my old mountain bike a few years back, and if I recall I never had a flat, and they were like a cat grip on the trail. I never could wear them out riding over rocks and stumps and glass, and the only thing that gave out eventually was the side walls and they had already bleached out by then.

For that reason and the price, I went ahead and ordered them.
Old 11-01-12, 07:10 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Conti has been pretty consistently good for me, I have had a couple sets of Mountain Kings, Ultra Sports, 4-seasons, Gatorskins, and Sport Contacts and they have all had a great ride and been reasonably puncture proof.
Old 11-01-12, 07:20 PM
Scooby214
Saving gas on my commute

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a set of CityRide tires on my son's mountain bike. He mostly uses the bike on paved roads, but does like the occasional hard packed dirt path. The tires work well for him. I've ridden his bike a few times and found the tires to have good rolling resistance, a good ride, and reasonable handling. They ride well on pavement, I didn't like how they felt when I hit a little bit of small gravel while making a right turn in a paved intersection. My Vittoria Randonneurs are better in such conditions, but don't handle hard packed dirt paths quite as well. Back to the CityRide tires, they are good tires for the money. My son's flat problems ended when we put them on his bike.
Old 11-01-12, 07:56 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
+1 on the good comments on Continental. I ride with Conti SportContact now and am more than pleased.
Old 11-02-12, 06:42 AM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have City Rides on a couple of my bikes. I like them. They roll nicely and handle very well. I have had some issues with the rubber splitting on the sides where the tread pattern is located. But to be fair, these were the first ones I had that came on a used bike. I don't know how old they were or kept. My other ones have been fine.
Old 11-02-12, 12:05 PM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak to the CityRide, but I had the Continental TownRide on my commuter for about 4000 miles and have all good things to say about them. Almost zero flats, excellent ride quality, decent handling and rolling resistance. I tended to ride them overinflated to assist rolling resistance, and they were still comfy.

It looks like the new CityRideII is about 50% heavier at the same size, which should mean even better flat resistance, but probably not a 'fast' tire.

At that price, though, how could you go wrong?
Old 11-02-12, 12:21 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've got about 100 miles on a pair of City Ride tires (26x1.75) and my initial impressions are positive. They are on the heavy side but are lower in rolling resistance than I expected. Puncture resistance is supposed to be high and that was a primary consideration when I bought them.
Old 11-02-12, 03:34 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Liked 4,123 Times in 1,529 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I Like their tires, but not their tubes.
What's wrong with their tubes? I've had very good experiences with the few I've had.
Old 11-05-12, 09:03 PM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its a good tire as long as you don't push it too hard in the corners. I find that the transition from the firm center strip to the soft, flexible shoulder tread can get a bit squirrely in deep corners...to the point of feeling dangerous. I moved them to my wife's bike because she isn't likely to be as aggressive as I am. They roll great in a straight line and, in my experience, have fair to good flat resistance. I've only tried them in a 700x32.
Old 11-05-12, 09:26 PM
Scooby214
Saving gas on my commute

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Breathegood
its a good tire as long as you don't push it too hard in the corners. I find that the transition from the firm center strip to the soft, flexible shoulder tread can get a bit squirrely in deep corners...to the point of feeling dangerous. I moved them to my wife's bike because she isn't likely to be as aggressive as I am. They roll great in a straight line and, in my experience, have fair to good flat resistance. I've only tried them in a 700x32.
This is the same feeling I had when riding my son's bike with the tires. He's actually had the bike slide out from under him when taking a deep corner and hitting a little bit of loose asphault. None of the other cyclists lost traction, but part of my son's problem could have come from his inexperience.
Old 11-06-12, 07:56 AM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I disagree about the cornering. I can feel the difference between the smooth section to the tread section, but I don't feel as though they get squirrelly. But now that Gatorskins come in 32s, I will go with them instead of the City Rides once they wear out.
Old 11-06-12, 08:15 AM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SweetLou
I disagree about the cornering. I can feel the difference between the smooth section to the tread section, but I don't feel as though they get squirrelly. But now that Gatorskins come in 32s, I will go with them instead of the City Rides once they wear out.
The fact that I could feel the transition at all bothered me. I don't recall ever actually loosing traction, but the dramatic difference in tread flexing as you push into the apex of a corner can be pretty unnerving. Its not an issue if you aren't cornering aggressively.
Old 11-06-12, 01:11 PM
Jimbo47

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've got a set of Kenda K-Rads on my mountain bike that cling to any surface, and they won't loose traction. Now pavement and loose gravel I don't think there is a tire made that will help with that situation but the K-Rads would have to rank pretty high in that category.
I think the name City Ride pretty much hints that it's probably not your best choice for an aggressive style of riding.