Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Whats is your course of action?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-12, 07:24 PM
Greyride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I am riding on rural roads of Phoenix (visiting my parents). I approach a 4 way stop intersection. There is a car with their turn indicator on and stopped. I am about 20 yds out and slowing. He sits there as I approach.. and sits there. I figure he is going to wait for me... I cross the stop line and he pulls out.. I then figure he is going to turn behind me.. NOPE.. he tries to turn in front of me but misjudges how fast I am traveling. He brakes then goes behind me... Other than not coming to a full stop at a stop sign is there some kind of signal or thought pattern on that kind of thing?
Old 11-25-12, 07:32 PM
teachme

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My thought pattern is, don't trust the driver to do the right thing.
Old 11-25-12, 07:50 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
All drivers are nuts and incompetent - at least that is the attitude you need to have - much like approaching an unknown dog or any child.
Old 11-25-12, 07:58 PM
Mult47

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
All drivers are nuts and incompetent - at least that is the attitude you need to have - much like approaching an unknown dog or any child.
My idea is that if I have an accident involving a car while I'm on a bike, it's my fault because I trusted the car driver too much. I ride expecting drivers to do stupid things that threaten my health and well being.
Old 11-25-12, 08:12 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 853 Posts
If there is any potential conflict, as in your situation here, I come to a full stop.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-25-12, 08:15 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Motorists often have no detectable thought pattern.
It's safer to stop. That way at least your behaviour is predictable.
Old 11-25-12, 08:16 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everyone should learn to ride a motorcycle before they get a DL. A question like this wouldn't be necessary since, as a motorcyclist, you learn to ride as if you're invisible. You also learn to anticipate what a driver is going to do even if the driver himself has no clue.

Hope you enjoyed your time here BTW!
Old 11-25-12, 08:19 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
He had the right of way because he was at the 4-way first. You ran the stop sign. Big mistake, always.

Stop, put a foot down, and keep waving until he comes through. If he is still stopped and makes eye contact and waves you through then he is surrendering to you the right of way in deference to your being on a bike. But still don't trust them.

Some drivers just simply get confused about rules of the road regarding bikes. Or they don't know them. Or they make them up as they go.

Treat all cars like wild animals with teeth and claws....if you touch you get hurt.
Old 11-25-12, 08:27 PM
drorgo

Bikes: Recherché, Surly Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My course of action is to stop at the stop sign regardless of what the car is doing because then they know what I am doing and it is the law.

Bob
Old 11-25-12, 09:00 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
When a driver is acting in a goofy manner, not proceeding the way that you expect when it's his turn, I'd prepare myself for whatever he does next to be goofy too.
Old 11-25-12, 09:11 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 1,104 Posts
Stop, put my foot down, look straight ahead, do NOT make eye contact. Eventually they will go.

You can try to figure out what the motorist is thinking, or interpret their hand gestures, or think you're making eye contact... but in the end if a collision occurs you're going to be bleeding on the ground.
Old 11-25-12, 10:18 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Think of it this way. The guy got to the stop sign first, saw you coming and remembered the last five guys caming through a stop right in front of him so he waited to see if you were going to stop. If you don't make eye contact and get a wave through stop.
Old 11-26-12, 12:22 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My feeling is that every one else on the road is out to get me. I try to prepare for every idiotic thing they could do.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-26-12, 06:59 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Seems pretty obvious that a driver sitting overlong at a stop sign with a turn signal on is spacing out, rethinking his next move, or otherwise distracted. There is a good chance that he isn't even aware of your approach. I saw something like that after a light turned green (without the turning signal) the other day while driving and beeped before carefully passing on the right watching the driver throughout. Pretty common for a spaced or distracted driver to pop back into the real world and hit the gas without looking around.
Old 11-26-12, 07:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by k7baixo
Everyone should learn to ride a motorcycle before they get a DL. A question like this wouldn't be necessary since, as a motorcyclist, you learn to ride as if you're invisible. You also learn to anticipate what a driver is going to do even if the driver himself has no clue.
As a former MSF Instructor and long time motorcyclist I can tell you that this is EXACTLY right.
Old 11-26-12, 08:08 AM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
... You also learn to anticipate what a driver is going to do even if the driver himself has no clue.
I try to picture the drivers as a young squirrel who's just about to try to cross the road the first time.
Old 11-26-12, 09:01 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 11-26-12, 10:13 AM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hope you enjoyed your time here BTW!
I've been firmly convinced for years that no one should be allowed a DL without learning not just motorcycles, but trucks, too. And yes, I speak from experience: as a truck driver with, until just a few years ago, a MC endorsement.
Old 11-26-12, 10:54 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,686 Times in 971 Posts
In that situation, I come to a full stop, look at the driver, wait to see if he is going to go. If he doesn't I wave him/her on. Sometimes they then wave me on. If so I proceed very cautiously. Reminds me of the two ground squirrels in the old looney toon cartoons.
Old 11-26-12, 11:00 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
My feeling is that every one else on the road is out to get me. I try to prepare for every idiotic thing they could do.
Krikey! A tad paranoid aren't 'ya?
Old 11-26-12, 11:05 AM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
You need to do two things; count your lucky stars on this one and never trust a driver to make his move in a way that's safe for you. You're not part of his hurry. bk
Old 11-26-12, 11:11 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
I always come to a full stop in such situations and won't proceed unless the driver waves or flashes his lights. A lot of people around here do want to give deference to bicycles in such situations, but I won't go unless they make it abundantly clear that is their intent. Even while driving, a lot of people seem to want to relinquish the right of way even if they've hit the intersection well in front of you and even if they are to your right. I understand people are perhaps trying to be nice and on a bike I do give a friendly wave in thanks for the gesture. But really I wish everyone would just follow the rules and remove the need to guess.
Old 11-26-12, 11:21 AM
Esteban58
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I always come to a full stop in such situations and won't proceed unless the driver waves or flashes his lights. A lot of people around here do want to give deference to bicycles in such situations, but I won't go unless they make it abundantly clear that is their intent. Even while driving, a lot of people seem to want to relinquish the right of way even if they've hit the intersection well in front of you and even if they are to your right. I understand people are perhaps trying to be nice and on a bike I do give a friendly wave in thanks for the gesture. But really I wish everyone would just follow the rules and remove the need to guess.
I've been seeing this a lot lately. Maybe they're feeling sorry for me being out in the 'cold'? Whatever, it sure messes up with the orderly flow of traffic,
I just wish they'd take their turn.
Old 11-26-12, 12:30 PM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Esteban58
I've been seeing this a lot lately. Maybe they're feeling sorry for me being out in the 'cold'? Whatever, it sure messes up with the orderly flow of traffic,
I just wish they'd take their turn.
Even the ones that wave you on can get you killed because all the other cars don't know what he/she is doing and they'll come around. The kindess thing they can do for me is go ahead and get out of the way
Old 11-26-12, 12:50 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The OP broke the law, and now wants validation for his reaction to a driver who was driving legally.

This is almost as funny as the OP's other thread on fellow cyclists offering him advice about his riding style.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.