Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Amgen TOC cities announced... bye bye Baldy an Big Bear

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 03:22 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com...-for-2013.html

No longer comes through my backyard
Old 11-27-12, 03:38 PM
hamster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of your backyard and into mine! In 2009 the route passed 1/2 mile from my house. No route details yet, but chances are good that they will pass through this area again.
Old 11-27-12, 04:10 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Santa Clarita gets a finish! I think I may have to go to this!
Old 11-27-12, 04:24 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
It was in my backyard for the past three years. It was always kind of fun to ride on the same roads that they rode on.

When it come to Santa Barbara it will almost be in my front yard!

Old 11-27-12, 04:52 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish they would come back to redondo beach
Old 11-27-12, 05:56 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 3,187 Times in 1,721 Posts
excited to see the route from murrieta to palm springs. wondering which tortuous descent they will take from the idyllwild area: hwy 243 into banning or hwy 74 into palm desert. the 243 will have some gnarly crosswinds that will turn into the mother of all tailwinds once onto the valley floor. hoping they do the beautiful ascent from hemet to the 243/74 junction vs going through anza (ugh).
Old 11-27-12, 06:20 PM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool it starts in Escondido this year.
Old 11-27-12, 06:28 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by megalowmatt
Very cool it starts in Escondido this year.
speculation on where it heads? del dios or harmony grove? grab some coast? head up to lake henshaw then back through ramona or vice versa?
Old 11-27-12, 08:01 PM
chefxian
5 Time Bike Path Champion

Bikes: BMC SLCO1, BMC RMO1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That blows! Our team got a cabin the last 2 years and had a blast on the Baldy stage. Better get the meth pipe fired up for Palmdale.
Old 11-27-12, 08:41 PM
TJKnight

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale SuperSix HiMod 2, 2006 Cannondale six13

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder why it avoids the San Gabriels.

The mountaintop finish at Diablo will be great.
Old 11-27-12, 09:07 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 293 Posts
Do the organizers of the ToC realize that they have probably managed to piss off M. Beanz, the honorary Mayor of GMR, by passing up on his beloved Mt. Baldy?

This is an outrage I tell you.

I think that the ToC people better get a hold of M. Beanz, instanter, issue an apology and put Mt. Baldy back in the Tour.

Anything less is asking for a boycott of the ToC by members of the C&A crowd.
Old 11-27-12, 09:24 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
speculation on where it heads? del dios or harmony grove? grab some coast? head up to lake henshaw then back through ramona or vice versa?
I had one route envisioned that brought them to the coast but it looks like day 2 starts in Murrieta so I imagime they may head east earlier than I thought.

Last edited by megalowmatt; 11-27-12 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-27-12, 09:59 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Can't wait till the route is published. I could probably find a good spot along Stage 1.

Originally Posted by megalowmatt
I had one route envisioned that brought them to the coast but it looks like day 2 starts in Murrieta so I imagime they may head east earlier than I thought.
A climb up Palomar would be a good bet.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 11-27-12 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-27-12, 10:00 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Baldy was too freakin hard for them. Seriously, I finally got to see Jens in person last year and very he looked very much like he wanted to spit a loogie in my face.

This is within a few hundred yards of the same place Floyd Landis passed me on l'Etape; (although I don't understand how he finished nearly 10 minutes faster than I did???)
I don't really care what route the pros ride, I'll be there; BUT I desperately want to know where l'Etape is going next year!

And to Genaro: you should visit my backyard! Palomar is easier than the ski lifts, but it's much, MUCH more fun to descend. Seriously, SUPERfun.
Old 11-27-12, 10:17 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some basic rules. So far they have never put a mountain stage on day 1, they usually don't spend much time on city streets (coordinating closures must be a pain), and they tend to shoot for 115-120 miles for intermediate stages.

If that's the case, they probably won't make it all the way to the coast (too dense), they won't ride south of Rancho Bernardo (no way back without getting mired in suburbia), and they won't climb Palomar. The route could look like this

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1957784

Or they could make a couple of smaller loops closer to the city.
Old 11-27-12, 10:35 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chefxian
Better get the meth pipe fired up for Palmdale.
Poor form! Have you lived here, or do you do now? Stage 6 started last year at the park down the street from where I live. Didn't see the start because we rode the stage that morning up to the KOM.

Originally Posted by TJKnight
I wonder why it avoids the San Gabriels>
Palmdale to Santa Clarita is only 40 miles, (non-freeway). They will probably go up the back side of the San Gabriels. My guess is they will take one of two routes, (1) up Angeles Crest Highway, down Big Tujunga Canyon or Angeles Crest, then urban streets to Santa Clarita, or (2), head west through the Antelope Valley a bit and up one of the canyon roads to Lake Elizabeth Road, then one of the canyon passes to Santa Clarita. Only thing is that unless they drop down into the San Fernando Valley, most of the ride avoids any urban areas, other than the start and finish cities. With a rolling road closure, it is simple enough to make their way through the San Fernando Valley.
Old 11-27-12, 10:35 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 40 Posts
So title sponsor Amgen doesn't even get a stage in Thousand Oaks where the headquarters are located. Boooo. City of TO said last year they didn't want it for a few years 'cause it was so expensive to put on and a pain in the butt to coordinate. Feh!
Old 11-28-12, 12:12 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by hamster
There are some basic rules. So far they have never put a mountain stage on day 1, they usually don't spend much time on city streets (coordinating closures must be a pain), and they tend to shoot for 115-120 miles for intermediate stages.

If that's the case, they probably won't make it all the way to the coast (too dense), they won't ride south of Rancho Bernardo (no way back without getting mired in suburbia), and they won't climb Palomar. The route could look like this

purrfect hamster. this was what i was envisioning. there is no way they are climbing palomar on day one...
Old 11-28-12, 12:28 AM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Boo on the non Mt Baldy and GMR TOC stages! Now I want to go see the Giro in Italy.
Old 11-28-12, 12:55 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 281 Posts
sweet they will be passing by my pad LOL

I hope they go up Palomar again
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 11-28-12, 01:09 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Originally Posted by jsigone
sweet they will be passing by my pad LOL

Haha--this thread is like golf: Every shot makes someone happy.
Old 11-28-12, 10:13 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster

Kind of what I was thinking, except the climb to Ramona via San Pasqual/ Bandy Canyon/ Highland Valley Rd. That route has a fairly steep section near the start, then gets into some rolling, mostly uphill stuff with some tight curves to make it interesting.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 11-28-12 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-28-12, 10:26 AM
Lesper4

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 5, 1995 Cannondale CAD F300 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny to all the responses, everythgin is inevitable. It is nice to see them out in Palm Springs but i hope the winds play some havoc to makes things intresting. The San Gabriels would be awesome but we have other climbs, are they going to use Gilbrator in Santa Barbara? I guess I will not see any coverage this year as the closest stage for me is on a Monday. One year hopefully they will go out East to 395 and get a mountain top finish (Wwhite Mountain!)?
Old 11-28-12, 12:15 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Kind of what I was thinking, except the climb to Ramona via San Pasqual/ Bandy Canyon/ Highland Valley Rd. That route has a fairly steep section near the start, then gets into some rolling, mostly uphill stuff with some tight curves to make it interesting.
That would work too, but then they'd have to go Harmony Grove instead of Del Dios to keep it under 120 miles.

Funny to all the responses, everythgin is inevitable. It is nice to see them out in Palm Springs but i hope the winds play some havoc to makes things intresting. The San Gabriels would be awesome but we have other climbs, are they going to use Gilbrator in Santa Barbara? I guess I will not see any coverage this year as the closest stage for me is on a Monday. One year hopefully they will go out East to 395 and get a mountain top finish (Wwhite Mountain!)?
Not White Mountain. Too desolate, and nothing on top except for a 20-car parking lot and some protected ancient pine trees. Environmentalists would have a cow at the thought of having throngs of spectators up White Mountain. Horseshoe Meadow would work a little bit better. But it's probably no go for the same reason.

Last edited by hamster; 11-28-12 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 12:20 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
Can't wait till the route is published. I could probably find a good spot along Stage 1.
A climb up Palomar would be a good bet.
Not necessarily. Missing Palomar would be a tragedy for us, but they might just end up having a stupid prologue in Esco without taking advantage of the great surrounding roads like Mesa Grande, .
I can't see them having Palomar on the first day--it would stretch out the standings too early on, take away too much of the suspense and tight competition that these race organizers seem to think necessary to hold the attention of American viewers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.