Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Getting out of the game, only keeping one or two

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 10:21 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts

It's been a long FUN ride, but my life is not working out how I had hoped, and it won't unless some things change. In a bike trade with a friend, I will be getting a newer model laptop, that will enable me to do some things I need to do online. The 2001 Imac I am currently using barely gets by at best, and there are some things I need to do instead of hoarding bicycles. The living room of my one bedroom apt is devoid of furniture, and looks like the storage shed of your LBS. This is no way to live. It's gone on too long as it is, and it's kind of embarrassing now that I look around me.

At that end, I will be selling nearly all of the bikes and parts I have collected since 2003, the ones that are left anyway. The first purpose of the new computer is that I will be able to post them to the unamed site that starts with e. The proceeds will mostly be going to a very close friend whom I feel I took advantage of, and she needs to know that I appreciated everything she did for me over the last couple of years. She really went above and beyond for me, and I owe her that much. I guess you can say I am finally growing up. It only took me 45 years, so any time wasted now is too precious to mention.

Please don't PM asking about them, or ask here in this thread, as I don't want to haggle and deal on the site at all. Everything will be auctioned under the username oldbikeschtuff, so keep an eye out and bid like you mean it.

As for me I still may come back from time to time, and maybe post once in a while. Many of you oldschool guys know how much I LOVED the chase of that next bike, and how I was going to build it. I enjoyed my stay here immensely, but there are things I need to do now that don't involve bikes.,,,,BD
Old 11-27-12, 10:25 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I wish you the best and hope everything works out for you.
Old 11-27-12, 10:29 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good for you. Best of luck and drop by to update once in awhile.

I don't blame you for not wanting to haggle here
Old 11-27-12, 10:32 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Best of luck to you bikedued. See you around.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 11-27-12, 11:14 PM
Bikedued

Thanks guys. It's pretty humbling to know I let things go as far as I did. Both personally and with collecting. I want to mend my life, and there has to be a start somewhere. This is as good a place to start as any.,,,,BD
Old 11-27-12, 11:16 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Dued, Your builds are beautiful and inspiring. You attention to detail is amongst the finest to ever grace the forum. I often feel as you do; that I need to think about bikes less and spend less time on the forum. I hope you are able to spend more time riding and less collecting/wrenching. There is a turning point when one begins to let go of the perfectionism and starts riding the bike to the point where it wears and tarnishes and dulls and gets dirty and you don't have the time to clean them all all the time. That is a good point when you can let go and just let things get used, knowing they will never be as new or shiny or perfect as they once were. All the best to you. It take a strong character to admit you have something you want to change and letting it out on the forum is a big step; moving the intention from in your head to being out there where you will feel some obligation to uphold your vow/intention. Stay strong friend.
Old 11-27-12, 11:33 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Kudos for listening to that inner self suggesting you've gotten what you needed from this particular adventure and that it's time to move onto the next one. I, for one, am happy you aren't letting go completely - after all, that shows you weren't completely wasting your time.

Here's hoping we'll still hear from you from time to time. I'd be taking a look at your auctions, but I am in the process of downsizing my hobby as well

Best of luck, Dued!

DD
Old 11-27-12, 11:36 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
you could give us a direct link to your auction folder-
some of us are lazy!
Old 11-27-12, 11:44 PM
almondpliers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puchfinnland
you could give us a direct link to your auction folder-
some of us are lazy!
Yup I'd love to take something off your hands and be a responsible custodian for it.
Old 11-27-12, 11:56 PM
Bikedued

I'd been out of town for a month or so, and I came back to all this staring me in the face. I guess it gave me some kind of reality check. Plus the fact that I have been back at my old bikeshop job since a day or two before Thanksgiving, and have not really enjoyed repairing them like I used to. I've only ridden once to drop off a few job applications last Monday. I have not bought a single bike item, or even much thought about working on anything in my apt. The need is simply not there for me anymore. I have only glanced at the bikes, and only see so much money tied up in what I used to enjoy not so long ago. Not to mention I let it make a mess of my personal life, putting the bikes before obligations, and even someone I cared for. How messed up is that?,,,,BD

I only hope I can make up for it, and get back to where I was...

Last edited by Bikedued; 11-28-12 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-28-12, 12:17 AM
Bikedued

I can do the auction folder link. The laptop was dropped off at a computer pro tonight by it's current owner, getting wiped and updated, antivirus protection, and all that good stuff. I imagine this weekend is when I will start the selling. I hope we get blessed with some sun, for some good current as sold pics.,,,,BD
Old 11-28-12, 12:23 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
your story is simmilar to when I was into vespas, I had 7 at one time.

many years ago I realized I will never complete them all and let a few of them go- I got down to 5
then I did the math on the 90SS, and had a very reasonable offer on it-sold.
Insurance is not cheap in europe and keeping multiple vehicles is quite expencive.
from 2003-2012 I did not drive them.
this spring I let my daily driver vespa go-I went through the motor and got everything tip-top before selling it.
I was not so enthused on working on it but I was sort of happy it is gone.
Now I have my last one in Finland to sell, and all the bits also.
Still have one in Maryland- its worth a mint, but it will go when the correct price is met
and then the special factory tools-that will be the last things to go.
If the hobby does nothing for you-cash in and move into a new hobby.

Im trying to liquidate my wooden boat stuff slowly as I know I must thin them out.
I had 7 at one time, now Im down to 4
boats take up a lot more space.

hope you are sucessfull with your sales and recieve fair compensation for your goods.
Old 11-28-12, 12:30 AM
almondpliers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
I'd been out of town for a month or so, and I came back to all this staring me in the face. I guess it gave me some kind of reality check. Plus the fact that I have been back at my old bikeshop job since a day or two before Thanksgiving, and have not really enjoyed repairing them like I used to. I've only ridden once to drop off a few job applications last Monday. I have not bought a single bike item, or even much thought about working on anything in my apt. The need is simply not there for me anymore. I have only glanced at the bikes, and only see so much money tied up in what I used to enjoy not so long ago. Not to mention I let it make a mess of my personal life, putting the bikes before obligations, and even someone I cared for. How messed up is that?,,,,BD

I only hope I can make up for it, and get back to where I was...
Some of us never realize that we have strayed off course. I believe that it takes a person of great strength and courage to admit to his mistakes, and moreover, to take a step in the journey to getting back on course. (some of us go to our graves lying to ourselves that everything is okay)

I'm sure your friend is incredibly happy for you
Old 11-28-12, 06:30 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 100 Posts
Good for you, BD. Balance in everything.

Best of luck to you as you move forward. We could all stand a little reflection, I imagine.
Old 11-28-12, 06:53 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Best of luck to you, your future is what you make it.
Old 11-28-12, 07:11 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
It is good to have a little perspective now and again. Good luck to you.
Old 11-28-12, 07:12 AM
strock 

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
BD, I don't post a lot, but I do read this forum daily (multiple times), and I thank you for your many excellent contributions. If you want to change the direction of your life, you can and will. If you find yourself running into difficulty, try counseling. It takes a strong man to admit he needs to change, but it takes an even stronger one to admit he needs help to do it. I wish every good thing for you in the future. And, like others, I hope you will still stop in here from time to time.
Old 11-28-12, 07:33 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
BD,
We all go through changes. Tomorrow will be a better day.
- All the best to you.
Old 11-28-12, 07:37 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 185 Posts
Good Luck Dued. One of the keys to life is moderation. Once one thing or person becomes all consuming you are in trouble. Hopefully you will not get totally out of bicycles to commit yourself to one person. Then you loose who you are.

I for one will miss your builds, you have a unique way of presenting them. My only advise on selling would be to try here or CL first. The cost of selling on eBay can be significant.
Old 11-28-12, 07:39 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Only best wishes for you in moving forward now. Your priorities seem straightened out and headed in the right direction. Been there, done that too, with motocross bikes. Moderation has to be used in my thoughts about what I do or I'll be in the same boat again. Hope the auctions bring you the deserved prices as good as your work is on the bikes.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-28-12, 07:40 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I wish you all the best, BD. I have enjoyed your posts, and have admired your work since I've joined these forums.
I honor your honesty and courage in sharing your story here - it seems that you are moving towards more balance in your life, and I salute you for that.
Old 11-28-12, 07:43 AM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Wishing you the best Miguel, and I hope everything works out for you. I'll be looking at your auction this weekend.
Old 11-28-12, 08:07 AM
Bikedued

At the risk of sounding a little jaded, I know how selling goes here. Not saying it's a bad thing, just that it would probably take twice as long to get it all out of here, hehe.,,,,BD
Old 11-28-12, 08:29 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 176 Posts
Best of luck BD...if I were looking to purge, I'd probably be thinking along the lines of what Kobe said...CL, here, Serotta Forums and swaps. eBay is laborious slow and involves shipping.
Old 11-28-12, 08:34 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 322 Posts
It takes a lot of courage to give yourself a public slap in the face like that, and even more to say those things to yourself, and mean it. Good for you, and best of luck with righting your course. I hope things get turned around for you soon, but sometimes these things take patience as well as resolve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.