Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

decorative/functional wall racks that handle sloping top tubes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-12, 07:50 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts

No garage, six bikes, it's a problem. One of the bikes is pretty enough it could potentially double as wall art, with a classy hanger, but it's a compact geometry, and all the nice racks I'm seeing assume a level top tube. Am I SOL? (Or relegated to what I can make myself, and since I a) haven't done any woodworking since middle school shop class and b) would rather be riding than doing carpentry on the weekends, that is nothing.)

And no, not those bizarre round plastic ones. Wood, probably. Pretty enough to come out of the home decorating budget and not the bike stuff one.

Or am I just asking for trouble trying to hang that geometry? It's steel, so the top tube isn't a wacky shape, just not level.
Old 12-18-12, 11:11 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Look for a wall rack that has two supports that mount separately. Then you can secure one to the wall higher than the other.
Old 12-18-12, 12:10 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Look for a wall rack that has two supports that mount separately. Then you can secure one to the wall higher than the other.
I'm not finding much, that's why I asked. I need something decorative rather than just metal hooks if I'm going to convince my husband that it will look OK to use as a decoration. I did spot one on Etsy, which might work, but I was hoping I'd find multiple options to choose from -- and there *are* lots out there for level top tubes.

(The one I did find is: https://www.etsy.com/listing/11375389...bike-rack-bike which isn't bad, it's just...the only one.)
Old 12-18-12, 06:10 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a couple Delta Michelangelos. The hooks are independent so they work with any toptube. They also make the Donatello which has only one vertical bar so it's more subtle.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-18-12, 09:03 PM
HvPnyrs

Location: In The Middle Of "Out There" / Downtown "Lost Angels"

Bikes: 2001 Trek 520 - Hvy Hauler, Epic Adventure Bike / 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0 - Sporty Quick Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gearup Floor to Ceiling Rack - Oak / Sports Solutions Floor to Ceiling OakRak

Found the Gearup product on amazon / The Sports Solutions product is Price Points offering.

The names of the respective racks taken directly from the individual web pages (unfortunately I don't know how to create a link to the web pages).

Both products seem to be otherwise identical ( including photos ,specs , and descriptions ).

Although the product photos show traditional horizontal top tube bikes, each half of the bike hanger assembly is fully independently adjustable.

I have been cohabiting with the Performance Bike aluminum version for the past 6 - 7 yrs. ( at that time they also sold the Red Oak version as well - BUT no longer carry either one).

After a rough start (will detail pros / caveats in separate post, If interested in details), I have been absolutely thrilled with the performance (pun not intended) of this product in my less than 350 sq. ft. Hyper - Efficiency studio apt.

The rack is easily capable of holding 3 - 4 bikes with additional hanger assemblies (comes set up to hold 2 bikes).

Last edited by HvPnyrs; 12-18-12 at 09:44 PM.