Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic road rim brakes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-13, 12:44 AM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Bikes: 06 Specialized Allez Sport, '10 Trek Fuel EX 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I only found out about Magura RT8C but no timeline or pricepoint, and SRAM Red which probably costs too much and I don't want to replace my pretty-new 105 stuff. The RT8C looks perfect for me but are there available ones now? I'm avoiding discs brakes since I want to keep my hubs. I want that smooth lever feel so-so-much. I got new Dura Ace hosing and lubed the cables but still nowhere as smooth as a hydraulic. I'm afraid I probably won't care about price and go for the Red levers if they are compatible with my 105 stuff (are they?).
Old 01-06-13, 01:04 AM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Red is not compatible with Shimano RD. Yokozuna housing is pretty good, if you havent tried that yet.
Old 01-06-13, 10:17 PM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at yokozumas and at the end thought the expensive ones can't be much smoother than the $20-30 dura ace housings. Cables just can't be as smooth as hydraulics.
Old 01-07-13, 08:09 AM
wheelreason

Liked 724 Times in 428 Posts
With my apologies to Enzo Ferrari; "You are building ATBs that go fast"
Old 01-07-13, 08:19 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rolliepollie
I was looking at yokozumas and at the end thought the expensive ones can't be much smoother than the $20-30 dura ace housings. Cables just can't be as smooth as hydraulics.
How much more effectively do you need to stop?

I was out on a little weekend ride this Saturday and was trucking at about 25 in Door Zone Alley, by the college downtown. What had to be a hung over coed yanked her wheel out of a parking space and poked half of her car into the lane just to see what was coming. My 1x9 rolls with cabled V-brakes, and I laid rubber like a hipster without much effort. Once you begin to skid, it really doesn't matter how your calipers are engaged.

First electronic shifting, now messy, oily brake systems. Pretty soon, a road bike will be a car.
Old 01-07-13, 12:39 PM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
How much more effectively do you need to stop?

I was out on a little weekend ride this Saturday and was trucking at about 25 in Door Zone Alley, by the college downtown. What had to be a hung over coed yanked her wheel out of a parking space and poked half of her car into the lane just to see what was coming. My 1x9 rolls with cabled V-brakes, and I laid rubber like a hipster without much effort. Once you begin to skid, it really doesn't matter how your calipers are engaged.

First electronic shifting, now messy, oily brake systems. Pretty soon, a road bike will be a car.
It's not about the power of hydraulics but the FEEL. So buttery smooth all the way. Besides, I have low grip strength so more power would be nice as well.

Hydro's aren't messy even when bleeding. Cables are messier imo when you take it out and clean/lube the thing.
Old 01-07-13, 02:26 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's not about the power of hydraulics but the FEEL. So buttery smooth all the way. Besides, I have low grip strength so more power would be nice as well.

Hydro's aren't messy even when bleeding. Cables are messier imo when you take it out and clean/lube the thing.
I changed brake and der cables in less than 20 minutes this weekend. That included housing, tips and ferrules. Jagwire basic pre-lubed housing and a good set of cable cutters. Wrenching is not for everyone though, and we all have preferences.
Old 01-07-13, 02:51 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was looking at yokozumas and at the end thought the expensive ones can't be much smoother than the $20-30 dura ace housings.
That's what I thought until I tried yokozunas with Swiss stop greens. I needed new pants.
Old 01-07-13, 02:57 PM
Jeepnut22 
Klickety-Klackety

Bikes: Ones with 2 wheels...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Yokozuna cables...