Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn World Voyageur update

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 08:46 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts

OK, I started another thread as the first has wondered into "The Land of the Lost."
Here are a few pics showing a bit of progress, including new black Velox bar wrap, new shifter cables and housing, new brake cable housing, (new cables tomorrow) new seat post, new rat traps, new copper/gold center pulls, all cleaned up and all bearings repacked. I have it mocked up on steall wheels but have the Schwinn alloys waiting to be cleaned and repacked. Also have a new Brooks B-17 with copper rivets and rails to match the brake calipers and brake lever bits. It'll all come together when I find the orig gold 6 speed cluster! (Ill settle for a 5 gold)

You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 01-22-13 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 08:50 PM
Cattywompus

Bikes: 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 1978 Schwinn Super Letour 12.2, Schwinn Paramount PDG 50, 1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG 3, Sears ToteCycle in the works

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bring on the pics!
Old 01-22-13, 08:55 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Our post must have crossed each other!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-22-13, 09:06 PM
EdgewaterDude

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking good. My World Voyageur is still a work in progress. Got a lot of my parts from the '86 swapped over, but it turns out the derailleur hanger was bent inward and needs to be looked at by a pro. Luckily, I have a shop nearby that specializes in classic schwinns and can check the frame over.
Old 01-22-13, 09:13 PM
Cattywompus

Bikes: 1985 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, 1978 Schwinn Super Letour 12.2, Schwinn Paramount PDG 50, 1992 Schwinn Paramount PDG 3, Sears ToteCycle in the works

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice! All the grail bikes on the forum are beautiful to look at, but Schwinns just make me wanna smile and then go out and ride.

Now I gotta know about the mural on the wall behind it. Is there a story there?
Old 01-22-13, 09:49 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Yeah, it was there when we bought the home. The woman that grew up here told us her mom painted it there along with her brother and herself, it was a "family tree" type thing with pics of her great grandparents at the bottom that worked their way up to the latest great grand kids. To me it looks like something out of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow!" We had every intention of paiting over it but its been a year and we havn't gotten to it....yet!
Old 01-22-13, 09:59 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Really nice bike. That didn't take you long at all to get around too, can't say I blame you! I'm surprised... but I actually don't think the gold brakes look right with that yellow paint. Either way, that's all a preference thing. What brake calipers are those anyway, gold weinmans? I don't think I have ever seen that before, they look nice.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 01-22-13, 10:13 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Thanks. The gold accented brake levers were there and working fine when I got the frame, so I figured why change 'em? I found the Cherry brake calipers (NOS) at my local "Secret Gem" spot. I had them up for sale or trade here on the C and V a pretty long time ago but I guess no one wanted them.
Old 01-22-13, 10:35 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
It'll all come together when I find the orig gold 6 speed cluster! (Ill settle for a 5 gold)
The original cluster was a gold Shimano 14-32T 5-speed with the largest 2 cogs having a skip-tooth (aka alternate tooth) design.

Old 01-22-13, 10:45 PM
mbbiker

Bikes: '87 Peugeot PB14, '98 homegrown, '72 world sport...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metacortex
The original cluster was a gold Shimano 14-32T 5-speed with the largest 2 cogs having a skip-tooth (aka alternate tooth) design.

I'd say do yourself a favor and skip the orig freewheel and purchase a new shimano 6sd with the shift ramps, works way better than the 5 speed boat anchor that came stock on these.

But if you really want a 5sd skip tooth like the picture shows lmk i have one i'm pretty sure will never see a bike again as long as I own it.

or

70 bucks on ebay will get you a nice fancy new gold freewheel...https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Stoc...item5aed6b7219

Last edited by mbbiker; 01-22-13 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-23-13, 12:39 AM
Metacortex

Originally Posted by mbbiker
I'd say do yourself a favor and skip the orig freewheel and purchase a new shimano 6sd with the shift ramps, works way better than the 5 speed boat anchor that came stock on these.
Yeah! In fact I'd say do yourself a bigger favor and skip *all* of the original crap and just get a new bike. I mean all of the stuff on a new bike works way better than the original "boat anchor" crap that came on this thing. <g>

But seriously though, if mbbiker has one of these freewheels I hope you take him up on the offer, as they aren't that easy to find.
Old 01-23-13, 04:25 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 2,231 Times in 979 Posts
Just last night I refurbed this one in the Spa. It's 15-14 sic. 28. Gold with lots of patina. Let me know if this interests you.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-23-13, 06:40 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Yeah! In fact I'd say do yourself a bigger favor and skip *all* of the original crap and just get a new bike. I mean all of the stuff on a new bike works way better than the original "boat anchor" crap that came on this thing. <g>

But seriously though, if mbbiker has one of these freewheels I hope you take him up on the offer, as they aren't that easy to find.
Yeah, I like orig.
Old 01-23-13, 07:45 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked 2,231 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by mbbiker

But if you really want a 5sd skip tooth like the picture shows lmk i have one i'm pretty sure will never see a bike again as long as I own it.

or

70 bucks on ebay will get you a nice fancy new gold freewheel...https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Old-Stoc...item5aed6b7219
I have one of those Dura Ace little 5 speed golden boys as well. But mine requires more muscle to power because it is 14-15-16-17-19, not an easy 16-17-18-19-21, like the one in the ebay BIN link. Mine is NOS with no box & wrapper, so I'll let it go for a lot less. And it has been serviced! I doubt it would be all that helpful on a World Voyageur!

ILB, PMed and asked for more pictures of the Shimano I worked on above.

The inner body is similar to an old Regina Corsa, which I find interesting. But it uses a compression spring (as opposed to a push spring) to activate the pawls. This is interesting because this particular feature is seen more in the 1980s and newer freewheels (Suntour Winners, Sach's Aris, Regina CX, etc.), and I'm assuming this Shimano is from the early '70s or even late '60s.

Any ideas on date based on the date code "YF"?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-23-13, 06:56 PM
john hawrylak

Bikes: 1975 Schwinn Voyageur II (Made by Panasonic), 1988 Schwinn Voyaguer (touring)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ilikebikes

Are you having the original rims rebuilt?? I gave up on the original Araya rims on my 1975 Voyageur II. They do not have a hook and the tires come off the rims allowing the tube to blow. Replaced them with later model Araya rims with hooks, Kept the Shimano 333 hubs.

John Hawrylak
Woodstown NJ
Old 01-25-13, 10:49 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

I was thinking of having the wheels rebuilt with newer Araya rings, it had Weinmann originally, but found a set of vintage Weinmanns Super Sport wheels locally. Im always looking for more sets for my other projects though.
Old 01-25-13, 11:16 AM
Metacortex

The original rims on the World Voyageur and Voyageur II were Araya Model 16A 27" x 1-1/4". As John H. said, no hooked bead on these.

Last edited by Metacortex; 01-25-13 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-25-13, 12:24 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

I got the World Voyageur mixed up with my 65 SS, the 65 SS is the one I used the Weinmanns SS wheelset on, the World Voyageur has a set of Alloy Weinmanns from a Sport Tourer I never really used so it can sit without wheels for a while with no worries. Here are a few pics of the World Voyageur all done.

Last edited by ilikebikes; 01-25-13 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 12:33 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Old 01-25-13, 01:58 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 2,208 Times in 569 Posts
I was on a vintage group ride this past weekend and someone was there with a very similar Schwinn, all original down to the skip-tooth FW. You can't tell in the photo, but the bikes in the photo above were (in order from front): Eddie Merckx, De Rosa Titanium, Colnago Master Pui, Colnago (Super?), Schwinn Boat Anchor (followed by my on my Reynold 753 Look, and several others not shown). The guy on the Schwinn kept up just fine.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 01-25-13, 02:45 PM
Metacortex

Originally Posted by gaucho777
I was on a vintage group ride this past weekend and someone was there with a very similar Schwinn, all original down to the skip-tooth FW.
That looks like a Sports Tourer, one of my favorite Schwinn "boat anchors". <g> That was the only other Schwinn at the time that used the Shimano skip-tooth freewheel, but in the standard black oxide coating instead of the gold as used on the World Voyageur.

Ilikebikes, that WV turned out nice, the gold Cherry brake calipers are even growing on me (I think they'd look better on a Kool Orange one though). What freewheel did you end up using?
Old 01-25-13, 02:52 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Right now its got the stock FW that came on the Sport Tourer, but Im getting the gold Shimano Dura Ace that PB offered.

Last edited by ilikebikes; 01-25-13 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-25-13, 03:20 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
That thing looks the shizz! Whoah! That corncob ought to keep you spinning where you want to be.
Old 01-25-13, 03:23 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
The guy on the Schwinn kept up just fine.

Of course, he did: It's the engine, right?
Old 01-25-13, 04:56 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Nah, its the Schwinn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.