Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

IN A PICKLE: 2010 TARMAC or 2011 ROUBAIX?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 03:43 PM
kiddcline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2010 Tarmac is an Expert model with 300 miles for $1800

2011 Roubaix is an Elite SL2 model with 300 miles for $1600

Which would you buy? Right now am on a 2001 Klein Quantum Race that I put 2000+ on last year and it was my first road bike year ever.

Thanks.
Cam
Old 02-07-13, 03:49 PM
gundom66

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It all depends on how you feel after a test ride. Tarmac - more aggro position. Roubaix - more relaxed position. Is your body more accustomed to a racier stance? Or would you rather ride a relaxed geometry? There are a lot of things you need to consider between the 2 geometry and the overall feel.
Old 02-07-13, 03:59 PM
jwill87ta

Bikes: 2014 FUJI Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roubaix. Newer, Better build, and if you're asking the question then it probably doesn't matter to you what geometry you get. Plus, from what I've read, the Roubaix can be set up plenty aggressive if you want it to be.
Old 02-07-13, 04:00 PM
aztimm

Bikes: Specialized Tri Cross; Specialized Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely test ride them both

I narrowed it to these two also last year, rented each for a weekend, then made my decision after logging some good miles on each. I put about 5000 miles on the one I went with, from April to Dec.
Old 02-07-13, 04:04 PM
kiddcline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Without riding either I can only say that I am 6'4" 225 and losing more weight steadily after the winter feasts. I am hoping to be 200 or less by spring. I do like to ride long distances but just got done with a few rides with a team that all rides Tarmac's. My Klein is set at a more aggressive level from the previous owner who used to race a lot. I do live on the Wasatch Front and hills are common. I also live in Utah which means the roads around here are not the best. I have a specialized shop close by but not sure when I will find the time to get in to test ride them.
Old 02-07-13, 04:29 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Liked 233 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by kiddcline
Without riding either I can only say that I am 6'4" 225 and losing more weight steadily after the winter feasts. I am hoping to be 200 or less by spring. I do like to ride long distances but just got done with a few rides with a team that all rides Tarmac's. My Klein is set at a more aggressive level from the previous owner who used to race a lot. I do live on the Wasatch Front and hills are common. I also live in Utah which means the roads around here are not the best. I have a specialized shop close by but not sure when I will find the time to get in to test ride them.
What kind of riding are you buying the bike for, and how flexible are you? How old are you? There are plenty of both of those bike rolling around the Wasatch Front with very happy owners. Unless your are buying for something specific, either would probably do you just fine. BTW, the roads around here aren't particularly bad, comparatively speaking. Go back to the NE US for bad pavement.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-07-13, 04:35 PM
kiddcline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
clipped_in, I am 30 and I do not bend at all. Can't even sit on my heels when I kneel down. I would like to be comfortable for a century, possibly the Lotoja, and at the same time be able to keep a better pace with the big boys, (That aren't so big). I am leaning more towards the Roubaix but still open to more advise. Where in Utah are you? I am out west of Ogden.
Old 02-07-13, 04:37 PM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez Comp, 2001 Kona Stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are the pics...? The specs...?
Old 02-07-13, 04:41 PM
kiddcline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specs on the Roubaix https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...sl2elitec2apex Specs on the tarmac are (per owner):SPECIALIZED TARMAC EXPERT 2010 This bike is rated as one of the best bicycles
per dollar available. The FACT IS 10 r frame is the same that was ridden by the
top teams in the 2008 Tour de France.
My bike has only 300 miles on it! $3300
new and I’m asking $1800. Shimano 6700 Ultegra components; super comfortable but
incredibly stiff with the all carbon frame. Size: XL. Perfect for beginner to
advanced riders. I will include a Polar computer mounted. Ksyrium wheels.
Includes Speedplay clipless pedals and/or regular pedals. Weighs only 17.5 lbs.
so it’s a great climber. It’s the next step above the Roubaix. Specialized Pro
ergonomic alloy handlebars for a comfortable, natural position, no matter how
long the ride.
Old 02-07-13, 04:42 PM
kiddcline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-07-13, 04:43 PM
kiddcline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-07-13, 05:27 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Roubaix has a 20mm taller head tube which may, or may not, make a difference in fit. It really depends on your inseam measurement and saddle-to-bar drop preference. I would make sure the Roubaix doesn't have a "slammed stem" with all of the steerer chopped off (the pictured Tarmac does not.) That would limit your ability to raise the bars if you so desire. I would test ride both and do some descending. I own a Roubaix and have heard it doesn't handle as snappy as the Tarmac. The advantage to the Roubaix is that it will be significantly smoother over rough pavement. I would not pay more than 50% of MSRP for either bike.
Old 02-07-13, 05:27 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Liked 233 Times in 106 Posts
clipped_in, I am 30 and I do not bend at all. Can't even sit on my heels when I kneel down. I would like to be comfortable for a century, possibly the Lotoja, and at the same time be able to keep a better pace with the big boys, (That aren't so big). I am leaning more towards the Roubaix but still open to more advise. Where in Utah are you? I am out west of Ogden.
I think the Roubaix would be the better choice for you. I think it will simply be easier for you to get a more comfortable position on the Roubaix. One of my riding buddies rides an Ultegra equipped Roubaix and does lots of centuries and LOTAJA on it--he likes it even though it is a little heavier bike.

I live in American Fork and primarily ride all over Utah, Salt Lake, Wasatch, and Summit counties.
Old 02-07-13, 05:33 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
My vote: Roubaix. I think it is better overall, and will probably be a more comfy bike over the rough stuff. That Tarmac looks like the previous owner was trying to make it into a Roubaix, based on how it is set up. Either would be fine, honestly - test ride them and see what suits you.

I spent 5 years in the Salt Lake Valley - there's some spectacular riding around there. If you haven't already done so, ride Emigration canyon to the first pass to start getting your climbing legs/lungs as Spring sets in. This is the most "casual" of the Wasatch mountain rides, and is beautiful. Then you can spread your wings a bit - City Creek Canyon, Big Mountain, Big Cottonwood, etc.
Old 02-07-13, 05:34 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Here you go - read this

https://redkiteprayer.com/2009/12/the...ac-vs-roubaix/

You'll be fine on either and they're both terrific bikes and both plenty fast.
Old 02-07-13, 05:55 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Roubaix. But then again, I am biased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
My Roubaix SL3 Pro.jpg (82.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-07-13, 06:13 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Liked 3,373 Times in 2,096 Posts
Don't get caught up in which one has better components, etc - the real difference is frame geometry. Personally, I like a more aggressive geometry, but I'm not you. Based on your description of your physique and riding style, it sounds like you should go with the Roubaix.
Old 02-07-13, 07:16 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
2010 Tarmac is an Expert model with 300 miles for $1800

2011 Roubaix is an Elite SL2 model with 300 miles for $1600

Which would you buy? Right now am on a 2001 Klein Quantum Race that I put 2000+ on last year and it was my first road bike year ever.

Thanks.
Cam
Assuming you have a comfortable fit with your current bike and don't plan to change it, how many spacers and what stem are you currently using?
Old 02-07-13, 07:21 PM
kiddcline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advise and I hope there is more to come. Right now it is a matter of selling stuff from hobbies that I don't do anymore. Hopefully I have one of the two by the end of the month and by that time I hope to have a better idea but it sounds more and more like the Roubaix.
Old 02-07-13, 07:29 PM
kiddcline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Assuming you have a comfortable fit with your current bike and don't plan to change it, how many spacers and what stem are you currently using?

Greg, I wish I knew. I went into this sport pretty blind and left everything as it was when I bought it, now I am hooked. I know I want to upgrade and all of these details are needed. I am planning on getting fitted for a bike soon so I have a better idea. Especially now with all of the advise that has been given.
Old 02-07-13, 07:30 PM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's your first real road bike, then I'd go Roubaix. Most riders should have that style of geometry for the type of rides they do. The Tarmac has a very aggressive geometry that you should be sure of wanting, and you'll know if that's the type if you think the carbon Roubaix handles to 'slowly'. But please note that the Roubaix has been raced on an international level.
Old 02-07-13, 07:54 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Greg, I wish I knew. I went into this sport pretty blind and left everything as it was when I bought it, now I am hooked. I know I want to upgrade and all of these details are needed. I am planning on getting fitted for a bike soon so I have a better idea. Especially now with all of the advise that has been given.
I would wait and let the fit guide your decision. If you can ride in an aero position and plan to ride competitively then the Tarmac is probably a better choice. Otherwise, the Roubaix will be more comfortable.

What you don't want to end up with is a Tarmac with an inch or two of spacers under the stem.
Old 02-08-13, 07:54 AM
aztimm

Bikes: Specialized Tri Cross; Specialized Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Along with the bikes themselves, you have different components on each. The Tarmac has Shimano Ultegra while the Roubaix has SRAM Apex.
The carbon on the Tarmac is 10r, while on the Roubaix is 8r.

Of course all of this is meaningless if one feels better to you than the other.

I rented both of these bikes last year (well same groupsets, same carbon, etc). The Roubaix felt really smooth right at the start, but over long distances it just didn't feel right to me. The Tarmac felt a bit rough at the start (so much so I nearly turned around and went back home), but I grew into it after a few miles. I ended up buying a Tarmac and really like it, but what I like and you like could be completely different things.
Old 02-08-13, 01:49 PM
squatchy
squatchy

Bikes: S-works Roubaix, S-works Tarmac, Gary Fisher Promethius, Tommasini Competion, Eddy Merckx Corsa 01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too played with both of these bikes when I got started. I ended up getting a Roubaix. It's plenty fast for me ,, much more compliant and I can ride it all day where as the Tarmac beats you up with road buzz and after 70 miles it's time to get off. I realize that wheelsets and tires make a big difference and the Tarmac had less comfortable wheels than the Roubaix. I ended up getting my own set of custom wheels later anyway. I thin if I put my current wheels on a Tarmac that would make a huge difference for me. Length of stems with change the handeling as well. A Tarmac is a little twitchy compared to the Roubaix. Bottom line you would do best to ride them both as each one fits a different niche and both are great bikes.
Old 02-08-13, 02:05 PM
kiddcline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to the LBS and this is the suggestion the guy had. If I go Roubaix I can go either way 58 or 61. But he suggested that since I have been riding with a group that has mostly Tarmacs that I should stick with the tarmac. He said either one will be more comfortable then what I have. I believe this since we rode 6 hours last Friday and they all seemed fine besides being tired. He suggested I stick with the 61 if I go Tarmac. Rode a 58 around the parking lot and it seemed a little cramped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.