Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

things you cheap out on

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

things you cheap out on

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-13, 12:02 AM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
things you cheap out on

For me it's bottle cages. I don't have any that really suck in terms of holding a bottle, but most are freebie alloy ones that have accumulated over the years. I rarely carry two bottles so rather than deal with having a mismatched pair of cages I just run one and add a second non-matching one for the longer rides that require two.

If someone wanted to get me the perfect not-too-terribly expensive bicycle gift it would be a few pairs of nice stainless cages because I think I'll never get around to buying them myself.
Old 02-22-13, 12:03 AM
Nagrom_ 
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Helmets. I won't spend more than 60 bucks on a helmet.
Old 02-22-13, 12:36 AM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
For me it's bottle cages. I don't have any that really suck in terms of holding a bottle, but most are freebie alloy ones that have accumulated over the years. I rarely carry two bottles so rather than deal with having a mismatched pair of cages I just run one and add a second non-matching one for the longer rides that require two.

If someone wanted to get me the perfect not-too-terribly expensive bicycle gift it would be a few pairs of nice stainless cages because I think I'll never get around to buying them myself.
Seems silly to only carry one bottle and then to have to bolt a new cage on every time you want to carry two. But I just carry two almost every ride in case I decide to go longer or it ends up getting hot or something. I just buy the cheap carbon cages from ebay for $30 shipped from China.

I never spend money on expensive performance "snacks" like gu or cliff bars or waffle things or whatever. I just grab gummy bears and fig newtons or a snickers or a pb&j sandwich and stuff like that.
Old 02-22-13, 12:55 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
I like the Velocity bottle cages. Bocoo colors, 30g, indestructible (unlike carbon) and you can find them for less than 5 bucks.
That and my dilapidated pickup truck, which will be 20 years old in June.
Old 02-22-13, 01:11 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottle Cages/Bottles
Inner tubes (I just go for the cheap Deda on PBK)

Things I wouldn't go cheap on:

Bike shorts.
Old 02-22-13, 01:18 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
WHY would you go cheap on a helmet????
Old 02-22-13, 02:45 AM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
$10 head
Old 02-22-13, 02:59 AM
ClydesMoose

Bikes: 2013 CAAD 8 6 Black/Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Because a $30 Wal-Mart Special will protect your head the same as a $250 Giro? They both meet the same safety standards. One's more ventilated, nicer materials, etc.
Old 02-22-13, 03:21 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Inner Tubes, I buy them bulk with cycling buddies. As we know that the majority of them, sans vittoria & michelin are sourced from CST or Kenda.
Vulcanizing patches, direct from China in bulk sheets.
Vulcanizing rubber cement, you can get a sizable tube from the dollar store or a jar at your hardware store.
CO2 refills, I get them from a kitchen supply store because they are used as chargers for cream whippers and home made soda contraptions whatnot. Haven't paid business to genuine innovations in ages.
Grease, having used both a tube/jar from campy and a tub of lithium grease from O'Reilly's, I rather keep my arms, legs, and first born and go with the latter.
Degreaser, I use mineral spirits to clean my chain considering it's the ingredient in many commercial degreasers.

Last edited by Leukybear; 02-22-13 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-22-13, 03:53 AM
Cookiemonsta

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Things that either
-Are not that visible (I am vain)
-Do not affect performance or comfort much
-I don't regularly use

So for me examples are overshoes, bottle cages, gloves (as long as they are comfortable of course, but I found that does not meant hey have to be expensive) etc.

When it comes to maintenance of the bikes I really don't cut any corners and use the relatively expensive stuff. Not sure why. Little OCD about not using the right thing maybe.
Old 02-22-13, 04:09 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike clothes. Except for shorts I buy hiking gear instead much cheaper and it works just the same. Jst doesn't have cycling labels all over it. I also buy cheap larger pumps. They fit on the frame and work better than a small pretty one. I really don't worry what my bikes look like, rather they ate reliable and work the way I need them to.
Old 02-22-13, 04:16 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the list is much shorter if i state what i spend money on and then you can just assume everything else i go lower dollar on.

so.... i buy expensive BB's and moderately nice hubs. headsets too. i guess any part that involves bearings.
Old 02-22-13, 04:27 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 373 Posts
Seen enough bottles lying on the road no to cheap out on cages.
Old 02-22-13, 05:42 AM
JaceK

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 (Shimano DA), 2008 Kuota Khan (SRAM Red), 2009 Giant OCR2 ( Shimano 105 ), Lynsky R340 ( SRAM Rival )

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Seen enough bottles lying on the road no to cheap out on cages.
I've seen enough cigarette butts on the road not cheap out on ashtrays.
Old 02-22-13, 06:57 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 141 Posts
I cheap out on everything. Latest and greatest 2-7 years ago is plenty good for me. So is good condition used stuff for 0.20-0.50 on the dollar, Nashbar, PBK, and BikesDirect. I stay away from name brands and bike shops. You can buy older Campy and it increases in value while you ride it.
Old 02-22-13, 07:58 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Not that they are cheap but I typically ride the basic model Keo pedals. My feet can't tell the differance and I would rather spend the saved money on Shoes.
Old 02-22-13, 08:15 AM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i do the same thing. keo classics ftw
Old 02-22-13, 09:23 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I look for good deals on anything so I don't consider finding bargains on high quality stuff "cheaping out". I will cheap out on jerseys, water bottle holders ($5 aluminum from LBS, never lost a bottle due to cage failure yet), sunglasses (I use tinted safety glasses from the local big box home improvement store, cost about $12-15 compared to $50+ Oakleys), road food (no Shok Bloks or Gu here, just granola bars and oatmeal raisin cookies), base layer (don't need no $40 UA, big box knock offs work just fine at $15), detergent (Woolite for darks from WalMart instead of sports washes from LBS or Sports Chain for more than twice the price), and lighting ($25 440 lumen LED flashlight on a $12 mount works just fine and uses rechargable AAA batteries).

I won't compromise on quality for bike shorts, socks, and shoes. I'm not saying I buy the most expensive and I still watch for bargains, but I won't make do with something I don't like just because it was cheap. Bike and components thereof aren't top of the line but are all good quality. I'm kinda fussy about bike/human interface like saddle, grips/tape, and pedals but again quality and what works best for me is more important than getting the most expensive bling.

Last edited by Myosmith; 02-22-13 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-22-13, 09:30 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Is a UN55 bottom bracket "cheaping out"? That's probably the relatively highest-end anything that I use for cycling.

Running shoes on platform pedals, stock saddles, clearance bin shorts and jerseys, it's all good.
Old 02-22-13, 09:32 AM
triathloner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Cables and housing. I change my cables every winter, and I put on cheap ones from a site like nigaracycle, for about 10 bux I re cable my bike and never have problems. Can't imagine buying the high dollar ones anymore. I don't however recomment going as cheap as the heavy set walmart sells, complete junk. Sometimes I use cheap bar tape, it seems just fine to me for a third of the price. I don't however cheap out on brake pads, I find it's wise to spend money there.
Old 02-22-13, 10:50 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
For me, the smaller list is things I don't cheap out on. There is nothing in this list for me!
Old 02-22-13, 10:50 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
Not that they are cheap but I typically ride the basic model Keo pedals. My feet can't tell the differance and I would rather spend the saved money on Shoes.
This is actually very reasonable.

I've got several of the Keos, include the carbon blade, and in all honestly, couldn't tell much of a difference beyond possibly the placebo effect. It certainly doesn't justtify the price differences, IMO, and the weight differences are there proabably only to satisfy weight weenies. And I've never, ever received a comment let alone a compliment like, "Wow, are those the carbon blades?" from any of my riding buddies.
Old 02-22-13, 10:55 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Clothes ... kind of. I have expensive taste in clothing (or, at least, I stick with stuff that works well for me) but I hike, climb, and backpack, so I just wear the clothes I already own that work well for mobility and standing up to the elements. No reason to spend $300 on a jersey just because it says ralpha on it when I've already got wool base layers and great jackets.
Old 02-22-13, 11:06 AM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmets. I will not pay more than $20 for glorified styrofoam.
Old 02-22-13, 11:08 AM
Smiziley
hmm..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Socks, water bottles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.