Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM crank/cassette compatibility?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 01:21 AM
blurider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm trying to find an SRAM crank that I can use with a PG-980 9 speed cassette. Are the 10 speed SRAM Force cranks compatible with this cassette? If not, what other cranks (in the SRAM line) can I use?
Old 03-07-13, 02:01 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you need a climbing set up with SRAM you need to switch your RD. I believe you can use the MTB RDs on roadbikes but why not just go Apex if you need 11-32/34? I believe Apex has a long version which can accommodate the higher cassettes. Apex RD+cassette would probably cost less than getting a crank through EBAY.

What do you have now btw? Or are you just planning what to buy?

Last edited by Biscayne05; 03-07-13 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-07-13, 09:53 AM
blurider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2011 Felt F1 frame with standard F95 components (FSA Tempo Compact crank 34/50 crank, Shimano Sora braze on f.d., Shimano Tiagra SS Short Cage r.d., 9 speed 11/25 cassette). (I had the F95 components just transferred to the F1 frame after I got it and now I'm ready to start upgrading). The shifters are Micro Shift Integrated shift/brake levers and I'm content with them for the time being. I like the idea of gradually to SRAM components and I am going to try the SRAM PG 980 Powerglide II cassette (11/34) with the current setup that I have. I am also considering changing to the SRAM force BB30 crank, which I have just been told works just fine with either 9 or 10 speed setups with no problem. Your thoughts, suggestions welcome.

Last edited by blurider; 03-07-13 at 10:03 AM. Reason: needed to add info
Old 03-07-13, 10:27 AM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't the F1 like a top of the line bike? Why does it have bottom end components? Just what you had lying around? I would think it would be fully 10 speed compatible so check out sram's wifli stuff. A force wifli derailleur can take up to a 32 cog so a 1070 in 12/32 would be a good option. Of course you would also need new shifters for 10 speed.
Old 03-07-13, 10:35 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My suggestion is that sell everything what you have now and buy a whole new groupset. It might be cheap in the end instead of buying bit by bit. That money you'll spend on the cassette now just put it towards a new groupset.

I just browsed through EBAY and there's a complete Apex setup for $550 or Force for $700-800 all brand new.
Old 03-07-13, 12:34 PM
blurider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
please see post above... I originally had the F95 and wasn't able to get the F1 frame until much later. I didn't have any other components to put on the F1 (nor the money to invest in them at the time) so I just had the components transferred to the F1. Now I'm ready to start upgrading components little by little.
Old 03-07-13, 01:53 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Biscayne05
My suggestion is that sell everything what you have now and buy a whole new groupset. It might be cheap in the end instead of buying bit by bit. That money you'll spend on the cassette now just put it towards a new groupset.

I just browsed through EBAY and there's a complete Apex setup for $550 or Force for $700-800 all brand new.
+1. Given what you're trying to accomplish, save up for at least a 5 piece upgrade set rather than doing it piecemeal. If you're going to change the cassette you'll need a new RD as well and you mentioned cranks, might as well do all 5 pieces and go to 10 speed while you're at it. Force is the sweet spot for performance per dollar and the new force shifters have zero-loss in both shifters.
Old 03-08-13, 01:56 AM
blurider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm taking your advice on Force...putting together a Force group-set of my own as I type this. SRAM Force crank already ordered. Guess my l.b.s. will love me by the time I take the F1 in for its next "visit". I'll let you know how things are coming along.
Old 03-08-13, 03:28 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Go with the new red yaw derailleur. I have it on my Force group and it works great, its a bit heavier and more expensive but man is it worth it! Some people will tell you it wont work but it works just fine. You end up with a tirm position click that you dont need but it has no bearing on function.
Old 03-08-13, 07:38 AM
rob!

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9 / 2006 Felt F5C / 2012 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
+1. Given what you're trying to accomplish, save up for at least a 5 piece upgrade set rather than doing it piecemeal. If you're going to change the cassette you'll need a new RD as well and you mentioned cranks, might as well do all 5 pieces and go to 10 speed while you're at it. Force is the sweet spot for performance per dollar and the new force shifters have zero-loss in both shifters.
Upgrading the whole drivetrain all at once will also be a more noticeable and much more satisfying feeling than doing it piece by piece, where the differences will be much smaller.