Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eddy Merckx build #2... a few followup questions from the last build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 01:25 AM
Mjm6

Bikes: 1991 Klein Quantum, 1990 Kestrel MXZ, Eddie Mercks Corsa 01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ummm... so I'm going to build up another Merckx! I love the Corsa 01 that I put together a few months ago, and my wife asked me to help her find a bike so we could ride together.

Well, I decided that I HAD to build one for her rather then purchase some modern bike, because, what's the fun in that?

Thanks to the forum member cv-6 (Lynn), I have a suitably sized Corsa from about '92 coming. The specs look good, and the wife likes the color, so, were on our way. I hope he doesn't mind; here's a link to some photos he took of the frame:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cv-6ent...57630903054910

Newly repainted so it is in near pristine condition.

She has smaller hands, so I was thinking of using the Soma Highway 1 bars on it.

QUESTION #1 - Are there any decent adapters that will take the 1" threaded headset to the moden stem system? I can't help but think that they all look like a Rube Goldberg setup, and a traditional quill stem looks so much cleaner. The Soma's are available in 26mm I understand, so I could go the traditional route. I'll have to hunt one down in that diameter unless people tell me I should go for an adapter. I need to get a headset as well. Is there any way to use a headset as part of the adapter?

QUESTION #2 - Wheelsets... on my frame, I had Velomine build a Mavic Open Pro / Record wheelset. I'm very pleased with it, but I was wondering if this is the opportunity to get something different for the sake of variety. What would you recommend considering?

QUESTION #3 - Based on the look of the frame decals, etc. I was thinking I would do this one in chrome parts just like the other Merckx. Slapping a bunch of black components and wheelset on this frame seems to not work in my thinking. Unless someone can point to a few photos that show it can be done effectively. At that point, I'd probably go with a stem adapter and modern stem. Any recommendations on this?

Probably more questions to come...

---Michael
Old 03-14-13, 05:14 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Liked 3,605 Times in 1,250 Posts
Another option is to replace the current fork with one with a taller 1" steerer and use a 1" threadless headset. Most modern threadless stems come with an adaptor that allows you to use it with either a 1" or 1 1/8" steerer. However, finding the appropriate Merckx fork from a taller frame (you need more steerer than the one that comes with your newly acquired one) or locating a carbon fork with a 1" steerer would probably be very expensive. But if you've got the money and want the look, it's a clean way to go. Look up Runningdoc's Bridgestone RB-1 to see the end result.

However, given the number of quill stem types out there in various clamp sizes, seems to me you could find exactly the angle, rise and clamp size you need for any nice set of bars (except a 31.8) for a lot less.
Old 03-14-13, 05:36 AM
gomango

Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Take a look at a Nitto Pearl stem with those Soma bars.

Would look fantastic with that nice frameset.

Also, I just noticed that wider tires can fit in the stays on the Corsa I am selling.

How about yours?

If you have the room, A23s with Record hubs would be good looking, durable and versatile.

Running wider tires might have some advantages.

Just a thought.
Old 03-14-13, 09:41 AM
jet sanchEz

Liked 862 Times in 388 Posts
Originally Posted by Mjm6
She has smaller hands, so I was thinking of using the Soma Highway 1 bars on it.

QUESTION #1 - Are there any decent adapters that will take the 1" threaded headset to the moden stem system? I can't help but think that they all look like a Rube Goldberg setup, and a traditional quill stem looks so much cleaner. The Soma's are available in 26mm I understand, so I could go the traditional route. I'll have to hunt one down in that diameter unless people tell me I should go for an adapter. I need to get a headset as well. Is there any way to use a headset as part of the adapter?
My girlfriend has small hands too and I just put some Highway 1 bars on her Merckx this past weekend and she noticed a big change right away and much prefers them to the old Modolo ergo bars we had on there. She had trouble shifting from the drops but there is no problem at all anymore.

Go for the classic 26.0, all the adapters I have seen and/or used always look goofy.

For the record, my girlfriend's setup is 9-speed Veloce.
Old 03-14-13, 10:10 AM
Mjm6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
However, given the number of quill stem types out there in various clamp sizes, seems to me you could find exactly the angle, rise and clamp size you need for any nice set of bars (except a 31.8) for a lot less.
Thanks for the comments... I agree that there are a lot of good looking quill stems out there. I put a new Cinelli 1A on my Merckx, and the Nitto that Gomango mentioned or Cinelli 1a look right, and would work very well. Unless I wanted to go 'modern', in which case I would want to go black, and put a modern stem on there. That's my decision right now I guess.
Old 03-14-13, 10:15 AM
Mjm6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Take a look at a Nitto Pearl stem with those Soma bars.

Would look fantastic with that nice frameset.

Also, I just noticed that wider tires can fit in the stays on the Corsa I am selling.

How about yours?

If you have the room, A23s with Record hubs would be good looking, durable and versatile.

Running wider tires might have some advantages.

Just a thought.
The Pearl looks great, and I agree it would go well.

I hope you aren't selling a Corsa that was the size I was looking for! hahaha...

I don't have the frame yet, so I don't know on wider tires, but I'm running 25C's on my Corsa 01 and they are within about 1/4" of the seat tube, with the axle centered over the RD. I could gain a little pushing it back into the rear of the dropputs. I can still get them on the bike fully inflated, but it is a bit of a squeeze.
Old 03-14-13, 10:19 AM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
I'm so glad you bought that frame, because I was just itching to spend money that I couldn't afford...
Old 03-14-13, 10:19 AM
Mjm6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jet sanchEz
My girlfriend has small hands too and I just put some Highway 1 bars on her Merckx this past weekend and she noticed a big change right away and much prefers them to the old Modolo ergo bars we had on there. She had trouble shifting from the drops but there is no problem at all anymore.

Go for the classic 26.0, all the adapters I have seen and/or used always look goofy.

For the record, my girlfriend's setup is 9-speed Veloce.
Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking with the Highway 1. Thanks for giving me some feedback on that. I don't know whether she'll like them or not, but I suspect they could work well.

They have a shorter drop than a lot of bars. Do you find them requiring a longer stem, or did the shorter drop help shorten up the reach for her?
Old 03-14-13, 10:24 AM
Mjm6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shadoman,

Yeah, I need the expense like a hole in the head, but I need my wife much more.

She didn't demand a nice bike at all (more like the opposite), but I can't do something for her that isn't at the same level as I would do something for myself. Reflects how I feel about her, I guess.

Last edited by Mjm6; 03-14-13 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-14-13, 10:56 AM
shadoman

Bikes: Bianchi Nuevo Alloro, Cannondale ST400, Fuji Palisade, GT Timberline FS, Raleigh Technium 420, Schwinn Moab, Schwinn Passage, Schwinn Tempo, Specialized Sirrus Elite (aluminum), Specialized Sirrus Triple (steel), Trek 7.6, Viner Road Record

Liked 65 Times in 19 Posts
I understand ! I built a bike for my sweetie too !
Old 03-14-13, 11:54 AM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
#1 agreed, all adapters look like crap
#2 your call on wheels
#3 think i agree with the silver bits. I'm building up a Della Santa that has chrome with carbon Campy and can't help but think that it looks all wrong. I'll post some pics when I'm done with it.

I'm also in the process of building up a Tommasini for my wife. Went with 7 speed Shimano 600 and will be using bar ends.
Old 03-14-13, 12:20 PM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool. I'm building up a similar Corsa (but a Motorola version) with Athena 11. Soma hwy one bars will go on, as they are perfect for me. I'm a 5'7", 33" inseam, woman with relatively short arms
Old 03-14-13, 12:29 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A subject that I am well familiar with as the owner of a Merckx AX (ti) and formerly a Corsa 01. That frame would probably look nice with either silver or black components, but I agree that silver is more classic. I would also recommend the Nitto Pearl or Deluxe stems, rather than switching to a clumsy adapter. The Deluxe is nearly identical to the Pearl except that it is several cms taller. I have both stems and cannot tell them apart otherwise. Nitto stems are as well made as any stem you can buy. I also have two Soma Highway 1 handlebars. They are harder to find in 26.0 diameter, at least in my size (44 cm), but you might have better luck with narrower sizes. If not, Civia makes a nice silver bar with very similar shape and specs.

Regarding Open Pros, I have 4 sets of them as well. Although they seem to have slipped in quality in recent years, they are still hard to beat from a price point. It is not hard finding a new set of silver OPs in the $250-300 range shipped, or decent used ones for $150 or so. However, if building from scratch, Velocity rims are at least equal in quality and generally less expensive. DT Swiss rims are better quality but more expensive and not available in silver (to my knowledge), although they do sell gray ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Merckx AX 1.jpg (93.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg
Corsa side view.jpg (86.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-14-13, 12:38 PM
bennie222

Bikes: '16 Cannondale Slate, '12 Fisher Cronus, '85 Pinarello Triatlon, '98 Sampson Z7 Pro Road Ti , '96 Merlin Titanium, '95 Cannondale V500, '72 Gitane TdF, ' 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, '85 Centurion Ironman pink/yellow, ' 85 1st gen Fuso.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put the Soma Hwy One bar on my Merckx corsa extra, I absolutely love it... though to find online, but any bike shop can order it for you.

I think I just saw that the H plus Son Archtype rim is now available in a polished finish... That's an amazing rim, 23mm wide, deeper than the A23, looks great and gets great reviews... polished finish is the icing on the cake.
Old 03-14-13, 01:00 PM
Mjm6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
Very cool. I'm building up a similar Corsa (but a Motorola version) with Athena 11. Soma hwy one bars will go on, as they are perfect for me. I'm a 5'7", 33" inseam, woman with relatively short arms
You have a considerably shorter torso than my wife... She's 5-6 1/2 and has a 31" inseam. It's amazing the variations in proportions that we all have.

Please post some photos of your bike! Always liked the Motorola colors.

Athena 11 on her bike as well. Just about to pull the trigger on most of the components for this build.
Old 03-14-13, 06:29 PM
gomango

Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
The Pearl looks great, and I agree it would go well.

I hope you aren't selling a Corsa that was the size I was looking for! hahaha...

I don't have the frame yet, so I don't know on wider tires, but I'm running 25C's on my Corsa 01 and they are within about 1/4" of the seat tube, with the axle centered over the RD. I could gain a little pushing it back into the rear of the dropputs. I can still get them on the bike fully inflated, but it is a bit of a squeeze.
Nah, don't worry.

You bought a beautiful frameset and my Corsa is much too large for your wife.

It's an absolute beauty though.
Old 03-14-13, 09:13 PM
Mjm6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of you have recommended the Nitto stems... is there a reason you prefer them over the Cinelli stems? I have a thing for Italian for some reason, even though the frames I have are Belgian! In this case, the Cinelli stems are a little cheaper.

---Michael
Old 03-14-13, 09:23 PM
Mjm6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
QUESTION #4 for the folks...

I use speedplay pedals, and really like them; a lot better than the old Time setup I had for many, many years. Better float, and reasonably easy to clip into.

She's going to be a more casual rider that I am probably (but who knows, she could turn in to a female Cannibal on this bike!). Should I try to get her into a set of clipless pedals like the newish Speedplay Lite pedals? I really don't want her to be put off by rolling the bike the first time she has to come to a stop! This will be her first serious bike...

---Michael
Old 03-14-13, 09:27 PM
Mjm6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tarwheel,

Those two bikes are really great looking. The titanium.... yum.

I just moved from the Raleigh area about 5 months ago. My wife will be coming out in May once the semester if done at UNCW.

---Michael
Old 03-14-13, 09:38 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
She has smaller hands, so I was thinking of using the Soma Highway 1 bars on it...

...Slapping a bunch of black components and wheelset on this frame seems to not work in my thinking. Unless someone can point to a few photos that show it can be done effectively.
I have big hands and love my soma bars. I wouldn't even consider using an adaptor. Nice quill stems with a 26mm clamp are cheap.

I've got one bike built up with silver alloy and another in all black. I think the limited chrome would let you go either way but I am leaning toward silver.

here is my silver build:

And here is my black build with soma bars:

Old 03-14-13, 09:50 PM
Mjm6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thirdgenbird,

The size of my hands is what kept me from putting the Highway 1's on my own bike, I just felt the curve radius would be too small. I'm looking forward to trying them on hers to see haw they feel. For me, I've been very happy with the Deda bars you guys recommended.

What wheelset is that on the Colnago? If I go Black with the bike, I'll probably go for a more modern wheelset like you have on that.

---Michael
Old 03-14-13, 10:03 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thirdgenbird,

The size of my hands is what kept me from putting the Highway 1's on my own bike, I just felt the curve radius would be too small. I'm looking forward to trying them on hers to see haw they feel. For me, I've been very happy with the Deda bars you guys recommended.

What wheelset is that on the Colnago? If I go Black with the bike, I'll probably go for a more modern wheelset like you have on that.

---Michael
The radius on the bend is pretty large so it works ok. The deda 215 bars (I think that what you got) are very nice as well. I own two pair and nearly bought a 3rd.

The wheelset is the previous generation eurus. They are absolutely fantastic. Stiff, fairly light, and strong. I love them. The closest thing Campagnolo offers today is the zonda. The current zonda doesn't have the fancy hidden nipples, but it does have updated hub geometry. The current eurus is a little stiffer and lighter, but not quite as pretty in my opinion. The alloy spokes don't always look right on a steel bike.

if I were buying a wheelset today, It would be a toss up between the fulcrum 5 and scirocco 35. (Both with stickers removed) the fulcrum would look good if you want to keep traditional proportions. The scirocco 35 would be great for a full out retro mod.
Old 03-15-13, 09:51 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A couple of you have recommended the Nitto stems... is there a reason you prefer them over the Cinelli stems? I have a thing for Italian for some reason, even though the frames I have are Belgian! In this case, the Cinelli stems are a little cheaper.
Cinelli and Nitto stems are about equal in quality. However, Nitto stems seem to be more widely available in more sizes. The Pearl is slightly taller than a Cinelli 1A and the Deluxe is several centimeters taller, so the Nittos are nice if you want to get your handlebars higher. If I were spec'ing a threaded stem on quality alone, I would choose a Nitto Pearl or Deluxe. Their quality of finish is second to none (that I have seen).
Old 03-15-13, 09:52 AM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Tarwheel,

Those two bikes are really great looking. The titanium.... yum.

I just moved from the Raleigh area about 5 months ago. My wife will be coming out in May once the semester if done at UNCW.

---Michael
BTW, TLC for Bikes in N. Raleigh has a used titanium Merckx AX for sale. I think it's about size 55 or so.
Old 03-15-13, 11:48 AM
Mjm6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks... I'll look into the stems a bit more. I think she will need a 100mm so she's in the common size realm.

At the moment, I want for no other frame, so I can resist the temptation on the Merckx... I suppose it's a good thing I'm in CA, because that makes it much easier to avoid.

---Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.