Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Cycling Ride Reports - Inside or Out - March 23/24

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 07:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts

In light of all the "where's spring" threads, I'll ask the question ... what are your cycling plans this weekend? Are you planning a trainer session inside? Or maybe you and the family are going snowshoeing? Will you be in the gym lifting weights or swimming? Or are you one of the lucky ones who will be outside on your bicycle?

Tell us about your weekend adventures.

Friday - lots of walking, probably the most I've done in at least a couple weeks.

Saturday - we'll see, but we're talking about going for a ride outside a bit later in the afternoon. That would be wonderful!
Old 03-23-13, 01:55 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday ... 33 km on a new route, one we've never ridden before. It was lovely and now we're wondering why we've never ridden it before. Exploring is good!

Sunny, about 22C, light winds.

Last edited by Machka; 03-23-13 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-23-13, 06:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday's Photos ...

Old 03-23-13, 06:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday ... we're packing up to move again (more or less on the road for over 9 months now. ), and Rowan has been doing some heavy-duty yard work at the place we've been staying, but we're hoping to get a ride in this afternoon.
Old 03-24-13, 02:16 AM
MarkThailand

Bikes: Lynskey Helix OS and R330, Parlee Z1, Anderson 953 Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hottest season in Thailand has started. Temperatures peak at 95-105 at 3 PM with humidity ranging from 80's in the morning to 60's in the mid afternoon making the heat feel like 100-110F. But, I still rode.

Saturday - I rode my usual training loop around Souvarnabhumi airport starting my ride at 650 am, at 82 F 80% humidity. I completed my solo 100 km, with several water/drink refill stops, at 1030 am with the temp at 91 F. I drank over 4 L of drink mix and another 1 L of cold water on the drive home. My power meter kept me focused - 150 watts average and 90 rpm cadence average over the 3.5 hours.

Sunday - I tried to repeat my Saturday ride but it was hotter today. I started my ride at 645 am, at 85 F 80%, and finally stopped after 85 km when I felt the start of heat exhaustion eventhough I was drinking liters of drink mix and water. My jersey was completely soaked through because I think my sweat could not evaporate fast enough due to the humidity. When I got back to the car, the temperature reading said 95 F and the humidity was 70%.

Well, 185 km for the weekend and 550 km for the month so far.

In two weeks, we fly out to the US to go skiing at Mammoth - I get a kick out of experiencing 40 C weather one week and then 40 F weather the next.

Mark
Old 03-24-13, 07:30 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First ride of the year yesterday sky trails are just to icy even for klister. 56km, high of 1 C, fairly windy, mostly dry roads with salt and sand everywhere. Less pot holes than years past glad to be back riding. Today meeting up with a group, same forecast. I can sense pain coming .
Old 03-24-13, 08:05 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
This was the weekend of the changing plans. We had planned to ride the Fleas and Trees Permanent, which starts out east of Dallas. Only the weather forecast was showing rainy out that direction, and less chance of rain out west, so we changed it to the Tin Top Permanent which starts out west of Fort Worth. A couple of riders opted for an early start, so we were out there for a 6:15 start. Weather was okay when we got there, but right at ride time, a thunderstorm rolled in. It wasn't terrible, but we sat there over an hour waiting for it blow over, and it still hadn't. So we decided to do Red Bandana 200k instead, and all loaded up and headed down south of Fort Worth for that. We started that ride at 10:00 AM. Two of our riders hadn't got much sleep and were feeling draggy, so it made for a relaxed pace. We finished up a little after dark, and got rained on just a little bit around mid-afternoon. We may be riding my 110k perm this afternoon.
Old 03-24-13, 10:01 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did a 66 mile ride with a friend from mountain view to san jose and back, the weather was very nice and light wind.
Old 03-24-13, 01:58 PM
Buzzatronic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did 25mi on Saturday morning in very VERY cold weather. My Garmin says the average temp for the ride was 32.1 °F. Luckily it was dry.

Later in the day the significant other decided she wanted to go test ride bikes, AWESOME! We ended up buying her a 2013 Specialized Sirrus Sport. Then went to REI to get her some gear (pants, bottle, saddle bag) and then we went out on her first ride in 18 years. We did just over 3 miles on a local flat trail and she loved it.

It has been a good riding weekend so far.

I'll probably do another 15mi or more later today if the sun ever comes out.
Old 03-24-13, 02:41 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday - 32.95 km on a route we did a couple months ago. We could have a really nice section of a century combining the two routes we did this weekend. Sunny, warm, and a bit more wind than yesterday.
Old 03-24-13, 04:52 PM
No Mojo

Bikes: Emonda SL7

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
The weather here has not been great for riding but I did get out for 18 miles today.
Old 03-24-13, 06:26 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I rode two hours each day on my trainer. My legs are a bit sore as the rides were a bit painful.
Old 03-24-13, 06:30 PM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Bikes: Felt Z5, Edict 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
72 mile ride today to the nuclear power plant.

Good ol' Felty

One of the reactor boobs

Ride profile

Carlos
Old 03-24-13, 06:32 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Got stuck in Tucson after my training week, Denver's airport was all messed up with the big storm and my flight home yesterday was cancelled.

So i rode up mt Lemmon. 102 miles, 7200'.
Old 03-24-13, 06:48 PM
animabella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday: just some grocery shopping and other related riding, total was 17 miles.

Sunday: I was going to do another century this weekend (first century ever was last weekend), heading from my apartment to the Mississippi state line and back. The forecast called for a 30% chance of rain in the afternoon, temperature ranging from 55-65*F, wind from W at 15-25mph. I left at 9:00am. The headwind was kind of rough on the way out, but I had a really good time. I saw a (live) deer and a beaver (swimming in a flooded river), and only had 3 dogs come out and bark at me.

But, when I got within 5 miles of the MS state line, it started to lightly rain (around 12:00pm). I crossed the state line and exited the highway (U.S. 82) and hid under a bridge for a few minutes and checked the weather. It looked like, if I started heading back immediately, I wouldn't encounter a lot of rain, so I did that. But, of course, the rain continued until I reached Reform, AL (20 miles from the state line). The rain really picked up for a while. I couldn't see very well, and the temperature had dropped to about 50*F. During that 20-mile stretch of road, there are no gas stations or similar places to stop, so I had to make it to Reform. Because I made a stupid (newbie) mistake, I left my rain jacket at home, and rode in (sometimes heavy) rain while it was windy and chilly.

When I made it to Reform, I couldn't feel (or really move) my fingers, and once I got inside, I couldn't stop shivering. I bought at sandwich at Subway while I tried to wait out the rain, but I was soaked, and I couldn't warm up. Eventually, a man (with 2 teenage sons) offered to give me a ride back to Tuscaloosa, and I decided to accept his offer rather than freeze my face off. We had a nice chat on the way back, and it was fun. I kind of wish that I had completed the last 30 miles, but now I know to bring a rain jacket if I'm expecting weather like what we had today. Lesson: learned!

I also went to Target to do some shopping, bringing my day's total to 81 miles.

The weather is supposed to be really nice this week, but my grandma is visiting (it is my spring break) from Mon-Thur, so I probably won't be riding much until Friday. Friday, though...
Old 03-24-13, 07:51 PM
fuel0707

Bikes: Lauf True Grit; Trek Madone, Domane and Checkpoint; EMB-505

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Unable to get home from work until Sunday morning (thank you, United Airlines) and with only limited time, I rode on a trainer setup in the basement. I'm really disappointed with the lack of typical spring weather here in central OH.
Old 03-25-13, 08:45 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
First group ride in a while. Weather finally warmed up into the high 40s and the wind stayed under 20mph. 42mi with 2500-3000' climbing. biking in RI.. short and steep climbs are the norm.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/288419562
Attached Images
Old 03-25-13, 11:15 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Got in a 110k last night. It was super-windy yesterday. We left the parking lot about 4:00 PM with a tailwind, got to the turnaround point, and the wind actually died down some, so had stiff tailwinds going out and moderate headwinds coming back in. Finished a little after 9:00 PM.
Old 03-25-13, 11:19 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Saturday: solo intervals.
Sunday: 3 hr team ride
Old 03-25-13, 11:46 AM
vwchad

Bikes: 2013 Focus Izalco Pro, Soma Grand Randonneur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got in a nice 42 mile ride on saturday.
Old 03-25-13, 02:44 PM
Canadian_giant

Bikes: 1995 Giant Yukon, 2012 Giant TCR Comp 1, 2014 Giant Anyroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
35 km ride on the hybrid. Roads still too wet and dirty to get out the road bike. Windy (30km/h winds) and +4 C. It can only get better
Old 03-25-13, 05:23 PM
Scummer
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
70 miles on Saturday with my team. It started out a bit cold at 35F, but turned into a very nice ride with 45F temps and some sunshine.
It felt good to stretch the legs a little.
Old 03-25-13, 05:54 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
weather has turned for the better in the NW. i stayed in town and did some messing about in portlands west hills all weekend. always good climbing, no traffic, and no other cyclists. well, maybe 2 or 3. hermits' retreat! just make sure your brakes are working.
Old 03-27-13, 12:52 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I wish I could have ridden, but was flat out as the race director for a Cycling Victoria Open run by our club with racing over both days.

Day one was a Hill Climb time trial up Mt Donna Buang 16.8km 6.4%.
Day two was a Road Race out through through Powelltown towards Noojee.

https://cyclingexpresswarburtonrace.blogspot.com.au/

Finally catching up with sleep after a hectic last week doing last minute organising! Being my first time on this side of the fence rather than racing was an eye opener to all the work that goes on running a race! Never complaining again if a race I enter doesn't run super smooth...