Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

REJ (Dahon) folder is 20% off = $479.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

REJ (Dahon) folder is 20% off = $479.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 08:25 AM
stevekk

Bikes: 2 old Schwinns + 4 dahons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REI (Dahon) folder is 20% off = $479.

Free shipping to REI store.
$599- $119.81 = $479.19 plus tax
Have to be a REI member.
Discount code is MEM2013

Last edited by stevekk; 03-29-13 at 08:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-13, 10:08 AM
stevekk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus I think you would get 10% back in year end dividends.

I screwed up on title. Not REJ.... should be REI.
How do I correct this? Tried to, but no luck.
Old 03-29-13, 04:19 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stevekk
Plus I think you would get 10% back in year end dividends.
Nope, Read the back of your coupon. Dividend only on full price items or when using an REI Visa.

Also,this has been discussed in other threads.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-29-13, 11:03 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1706 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,099 Posts
Although the chainstay-less frame and the hinges superficially look Dahonish to me, Tern&dealers claim the bike is one of their products. I dunno - Oyama or any of several other Taiwanese or Chinese manufacturers could be building these to spec for REI for all I know.
Old 03-30-13, 05:46 AM
stevekk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a previous thread, a member has one of these bikes.
He said it had a decal with Dahon in small print.
Old 03-30-13, 10:29 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stevekk
On a previous thread, a member has one of these bikes.
He said it had a decal with Dahon in small print.
I believe that one is a previous model. I'm pretty sure the current (2013) FlyBy is made by Tern. It is very similar to the Tern Link C7 but with a 7-speed internal hub gear rather than a derailleur.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 03-30-13, 12:34 PM
Fenway

Bikes: 1983 Peugeot UO14, KHS Green-Heavily modified, 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27" (work in progress)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one of the older Flyby Shuttles from REI and it has Dahon markings on it. The newer ones are Tern models.
Old 03-30-13, 01:52 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
It is very similar to the Tern Link C7 but with a 7-speed internal hub gear rather than a derailleur.
The 2013 Flyby frame is quite different from the current Tern C7: much different hydroformed sections, U-fold rather than N-fold, buttress supports under the cantilevered seatstays instead of chainstays, no double truss, no luggage socket. As you say, the Flyby has the IGH drivetrain of the Tern Link D7i rather than the derailleur of the C7.
Old 03-30-13, 03:56 PM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The 2013 Flyby frame is quite different from the current Tern C7: much different hydroformed sections, U-fold rather than N-fold, buttress supports under the cantilevered seatstays instead of chainstays, no double truss, no luggage socket. ...
Thanks for pointing out the frame differences. I saw a FlyBy in early December at an REI and thought it was the same frame as the Tern Link C7. Looking at the REI website pictures, the frames are definitely not the same. FWIW, the Link C7 is not an N-Fold model (and the Link C7 bars end up inside the fold).

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 03-30-13, 09:19 PM
Brimstone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! Somebody break it down for me. Why does a 'Novaro Flyby', which is a Dahon Mu XL Sport with a cheaper 7-speed Nexus hub instead of 8-speed Alfine & cheaper tires, cost a HUNDRED BUCKS LESS than the single-speed Dahon Mu Uno with the same frame & many of the same components? Did REI cut a deal with Dahon by putting its own brand on the bike?
Old 03-31-13, 01:58 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Brimstone
Why does a 'Novara Flyby', which is a Dahon Mu XL Sport with a cheaper...
Nope. The 2013 Flyby is a unique model produced by Tern to REI's specifications. Even with the Flyby on sale (to members), the street price of a Tern Link C7 with the same hinges and latches (but derailleur instead of IGH) is still less.

...cost a HUNDRED BUCKS LESS than the...
The Folding Society web page asked the same question several years ago, to wit: why do private label bikes from the major manufacturers often seem to be better values? Sometimes it's because the bikes are decontented at a piece-part level (tires, spokes, rims, derailleurs&shifters, cranks, grips, saddle, etc.) and sometimes the private label will accept a lower profit margin or has a more efficient distribution model than a gazillion independent LBS.

REI acts like the catalog company they are instead of a bicycle manufacturer. They order bikes to spec in the fall/winter and take delivery in the spring. If they sell out of a certain model, they remove it from their web site and act like it never existed. They don't worry about supporting their "independent bicycle dealers" because their own retail outlets have hiking boots, carabiners and kayaks to sell if they run out of that year's most popular models of bikes.

Last edited by tcs; 03-31-13 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-31-13, 05:58 PM
kevbo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I picked one of these up. With the 20% coupon and my dividend I was only about 150bucks out of pocket. I am a bike nerd, but this is my first folder. I don't know how to tell a Tern from a Dahon. The REI specs list a number of the components as tern. I only have a few miles on it.

I am a Clyde, so I always stress relieve, tension up and true any machine built wheels. As recieved the wheels were well centered and exceptionally true. The rear spokes were fairly snug, another half turn made them nice. The font spokes were barely more than finger tight, though. I ran them up 1-1/2 turn before I was happy. The front bearing cones were WAY tight...I backed them off almost a half turn, and still had a little preload.
The front wheel is 20 spokes, not 32 as REI specs indicate. Front hub is 74mm OLD as seems typical on such folders.

There is a label indicating 230lb maximum wt. rating. I am currently pushing the envelope there. If I don't manage to break it, that speaks well for it. I am also 6'5" so have the seat mast maxed out, putting even more stress on the frame. We'll see. If I break it, we can agree it was not a fair test.

ETA: The tires are Schwalbe Citizens...much nicer than the Kenda crap that a lot of bikes come shod with. Only thing is they are 45mm wide on 15mm rims, so I will be taking extra care not to ride with low air pressure.

ETA2: Even thigh this is my first folder, the fold is quick and easy. I believe I could maybe beat the claimed 15 seconds with some practice. The magnet that latches the bike folded is strong enough for storage, but I suspect not for carry. I have added a velcro strap from the seat mast to the top tube...probably doubles the fold time, that.

Last edited by kevbo; 03-31-13 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-01-13, 07:08 AM
stevekk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also ordered one.
Got free shipping.. picking up at store, plus no sales tax since store in OR.
Total price was 479 minus my current dividend.
Should be in store in a few days.