Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gianni with Gios like fork coin - gianni who?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 03:45 PM
vvup

Bikes: 60cm center to top, sometimes 57 center to top

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Picked out this bike set out a friends shed as its my size and has a 27.2 seat post and felt good to hold.

Bordinelli was a french cyclist from Marseille, so I think his name is on the bike as a rider rather than a builder. The rust also expect came from the Marseille salty sea air.

The forks are gios like coined 'Gianni', the drop out also look like they are stamped gianni.

shimano 600 components, bin

I do wish to try and restore this, sanding down the rust and patching up the paint. Its not going to be perfect but I think with the frame rust repaired and touched up, a NR group thrown at it, it could be a good bike to ride fast.

I am hoping someone can show me another bike with a gianni coin, and I am hoping its a gianni motta.
Old 04-02-13, 04:41 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,425 Times in 924 Posts
Motta. Gianni Motta?
Old 04-02-13, 07:44 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Search oxalic acid here for rust removal... should be a very nice bike once you get it refurbed!
Old 04-03-13, 08:07 AM
bobbycorno

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Probably not Gianni Motta. The only other cycling-related Gianni I know of is Vittore Gianni, and his company made clothing, not bikes.

SP
OC, OR
Old 04-03-13, 09:12 AM
JReade

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was under the impression that lots of ex pros were having frames built for them and then branded via decals for local sale. That seems like a lot of decal work for a team / race issue bike, when they would have to do that for every bike on the team, losing the "team" appeal when they all appear branded differently.
Old 04-03-13, 03:09 PM
vvup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JReade
I was under the impression that lots of ex pros were having frames built for them and then branded via decals for local sale. That seems like a lot of decal work for a team / race issue bike, when they would have to do that for every bike on the team, losing the "team" appeal when they all appear branded differently.
Yes I made a mistake, the downtube decal says cycles bordinelli. The decal are the same style to other shop's own stickers that I have found on other bikes, which I usually remove. I can't find any information on a shop of that name either.

example of similar stickers - letters L and seat tube flag.

Originally Posted by bobbycorno
Probably not Gianni Motta. The only other cycling-related Gianni I know of is Vittore Gianni, and his company made clothing, not bikes.

SP
OC, OR
Every Gianni Motta I have seen has had campagnolo dropouts, this one has 'gianni' drop outs. Edit,

Guessing it can't be a Gianni motta, espically as this bike focus on the name gianni rather than motta.

So there we go, some one went to the trouble to make a frame with a 27.2 post, put their own stamp on the dropouts and also made a rubber coin for the forks. Its a lot of effort to do, and yet I can't find a second example online. could be a proto type?

I would usually not bother working on a bike with this much rust, but as it might be the last of its kind I'l give it a go, motta built or not.

Last edited by vvup; 04-03-13 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 04:49 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,425 Times in 924 Posts
Maybe it was during his "one name" phase, like Bono, or Cher, or Pele.
Old 04-03-13, 05:04 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Liked 2,699 Times in 652 Posts
Cool bike....However, IMO, you are going to need to do a complete strip on that bike. I'm currently dealing with a bike that had a fair amount of rust. I originally thought I could get by with an oxalic acid bath. However, even after the oaxalic acid bath there were rust "spiders" still under the paint. The oaxalic acid could not get to all the rust. Even after two separate baths, I could poke holes in some paint bubbles with a needle or razor and uncover more rust. In your case, after you sand away all the rust, you are not going to have much original paint left.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Before oxalic acid bath:

After two oxalic acid baths (see the bubbles and faint "spider" lines?):

What I hoped to avoid (you can still see some faint rust lines on the down tube that required a lot of sanding after the paint was completely stripped):

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 04-04-13, 06:16 AM
vvup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Cool bike....However, IMO, you are going to need to do a complete strip on that bike.
Thanks for the warning on the rust. If the bike was a posh Gianni Motta with the curved in seat stay's I would love to make the effort and completely work on the bike. But I think all I will do is spend an afternoon clearing the back end of rust and paint, then repaint the rear end and any patches on the main tubes.

I don't want to get mess up the coins with paint stripper or spend too much time and money on the whole bike. I hope the end result is a good riding bike with the 3 maintubes and forks with the original paint and the rear end rust free with out putting too much time in. Wish I had not sold my old dura ace spare parts now.