Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giant's perspective...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giant's perspective...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 02:23 PM
Jeepnut22 
Klickety-Klackety

Bikes: Ones with 2 wheels...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant's perspective...

Interesting video...

https://www.bikemag.com/videos/video-...ff-the-gloves/
Old 04-16-13, 02:37 PM
Jeepnut22 
Klickety-Klackety

Bikes: Ones with 2 wheels...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, Giant left a bunch of bikes off the list. Same tactic they accuse everyone else of doing perhaps?
Old 04-16-13, 03:52 PM
Canadian_giant

Bikes: 1995 Giant Yukon, 2012 Giant TCR Comp 1, 2014 Giant Anyroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would be nice to know what the criteria was for the list. By looking at it I gather it is bikes with the most sales?
Old 04-16-13, 11:56 PM
evan938

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sending to my Trek buddy who gives me **** for riding a supersix (non-evo, which scored higher than the evo in the 2nd and 3rd tests).

he has a 6.9 and now a project one 7 series with full sram red. i wonder when the video was made and if the 7 was available for testing then, as i know thats the first argument im going to get.
Old 04-17-13, 12:44 AM
wn rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeepnut22
It is interesting but it seems Mr. Swanson didn't bother to get his units correct in his narrative. He says that both stiffness measurements are in terms of N-m when, in fact, neither are. Torsional stiffness is in N-m/deg and BB stiffness in N/mm. This is shown in his table headings and is given in the .pdf files describing results at their website. Strange that this video would have went out like this???
Old 04-17-13, 06:22 AM
starjag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So the SuperSix is the best?
Old 04-17-13, 06:32 AM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by starjag
So the SuperSix is the best?
According to Giant.. Giant is the best.

Those test results make me sad as a Madone 6 series owner
Old 04-17-13, 06:32 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Starting with full disclosure: I ride a 2009 Giant TCR Advanced (not SL). Nevertheless I see a lot to criticize in the video. First the measurement unit errors mentioned above. Second the relative weights of the three Giant frames. My M frame actually weighs 1,207 g, not 968 despite being reviewed in magazines in the 900 g range. And third, 250 g for a top-of-the-line, light weight seat post is disingenuous. The Performance post I ride is only 150 g and similar weight posts are readily available. Removing that 100 g difference from all the non-ISP listings in the chart would make a big difference in the standings. I don't know why Giant did things this way. Being number one (as they readily admit) isn't all that important. Being close in weight and in the top three or four would suffice for most marketing purposes, especially if the stiffness results are real. This would be a great presentation if it had been done properly.
Old 04-17-13, 06:39 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Liked 1,308 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Starting with full disclosure: I ride a 2009 Giant TCR Advanced (not SL). Nevertheless I see a lot to criticize in the video. First the measurement unit errors mentioned above. Second the relative weights of the three Giant frames. My M frame actually weighs 1,207 g, not 968 despite being reviewed in magazines in the 900 g range. And third, 250 g for a top-of-the-line, light weight seat post is disingenuous. The Performance post I ride is only 150 g and similar weight posts are readily available. Removing that 100 g difference from all the non-ISP listings in the chart would make a big difference in the standings. I don't know why Giant did things this way. Being number one (as they readily admit) isn't all that important. Being close in weight and in the top three or four would suffice for most marketing purposes, especially if the stiffness results are real. This would be a great presentation if it had been done properly.
Haven't watched the video yet, but did you include your fork in the frame weight? They don't usually.

Also having just spent a long time trying to find a decent seat post under 200g....color me skeptical about widely available at 150g. Thomson masterpiece is close, but I had to settle for ~190 before being cut.

Old 04-17-13, 07:01 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Where I wouldn't comment concerning the units of measure they used, I will say this. Giant has been making frames, not only for themselves, but for a lot of other companies for years. They have a heck of a lot of data and trial and error on their side where it comes to making them. It would be silly to consider that for all that experience they didn't know how to get a few things right. Maybe not the smartest marketing and advertizing...
Old 04-17-13, 07:05 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Haven't watched the video yet, but did you include your fork in the frame weight? They don't usually.

Also having just spent a long time trying to find a decent seat post under 200g....color me skeptical about widely available at 150g. Thomson masterpiece is close, but I had to settle for ~190 before being cut.
No, frame is 1,207 and fork is another 351. I had expected something around 900 and was really bummed when I saw what I had. Rides great, and I love it, just sayin' the weight was not what I had expected.

I just looked and noticed that my Performance post isn't offered any more. Perhaps my idea of readily available is colored by the fact that I have had four of them over the last few years. Considering we are comparing the top, high volume frames in the world, wouldn't you think the appropriate corresponding posts should be the top ones also? Even if that is as heavy as the 190 g you were able to find, that 60 g difference changes the order of the lightest framesets. I just looked at the range of offerings on the Performance site. You're right about the difficulty of getting to 150 g at this time, but several posts were listed at less than 250. The Doric 3T was listed at 181 g for a 400 mm length. That is right in the ballpark. And as you said, the Thomson Elites come in at 158 g for 240 mm long and and around 190 g for 350 mm long. Why did Giant choose 250 g if not to skew the results.

BTW, it is good to know I am not the only one who cuts seat posts (DISCLAIMER: taking care to leave the minimum inserted length for safety).
Old 04-22-13, 05:46 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Liked 1,021 Times in 679 Posts
the magazine tests are generally biased