Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Light Kid's BMX Bike?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Light Kid's BMX Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-13, 01:45 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Light Kid's BMX Bike?

Looking for recommendations for a light, single speed bmx bike, for a taller, beginner rider. I remember seeing some of the racing mini-bmx bikes when my brother would race, but would like to keep it under $500.
I know everyone is going to say, "I grew up with a burly/heavy bike and I didn't have any problems," but ligher would definitely work better for the mostly road riding she will be doing to start. So many of the kid's bikes are so overbuilt with full suspension and massive frames. My kid's bike shouldn't weigh the same as her dad's 60 cm road bike.

Cross Posted in BMX
Old 04-22-13, 02:23 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If she's riding on the roads, getting rid of knobby tires will make a huge difference. Is there a reason you'd like a "BMX" bike instead of just a kids bike? I agree that avoiding suspension is a good way to go.
Old 04-22-13, 03:24 PM
delcrossv

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Kow old is the kid? Maybe a small road bike (24" wheels) would be a better option on pavement. Light kids BMX bikes? Redline. (I think they can be had in single speed and they're under $500 used)

See: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/841226
Old 04-24-13, 09:45 AM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night my kid learned to ride in five minutes. He's 4 and a half.
Bike: 2010 Redline Pitboss

It's a bmx, but not a racing bmx. It was $180 on craigslist.
No coaster brake. The previous owner had swapped out the stock hand brake with an Avid 7 single-digit brake. The kid had no problem squeezing it, and he's an average size 4 year-old.

He's been riding a strider for 2 years.
Old 04-29-13, 12:58 PM
coldbike
The wizard of ...

Bikes: single speed Krampus, burley piccolo, salsa mukluk ti, CETMA cargo bike, M5 Shockproof,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My kids have a racing bmx and it is about 8 pounds lighter than the next lightest kids bike that I have seen. There are a bunch of brands, if there is a bmx race club or track in your area, you can probably find one used for under 300 and there are new ones from DK, Free Agent and others that are well under $500. Often they can be resold for $300, so they actually cost the same as a $200 bike which resells for $0.
Old 04-30-13, 04:58 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look to GT, they build the best BMX bikes in the business. Some can get pretty pricey ($1,200) but they also make some that price in the range you're looking for.
Old 05-02-13, 05:56 PM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What size are you looking for? Have you looked at the Redline Proline Micro 18"? For non-BMX, the Specialized Hot Rock is the lightest I'm aware of in small sizes.
Old 05-03-13, 02:57 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm seeing "taller beginner rider," and then suggestions for micro 16" and 18" wheeled bikes. I'm 5'3, a far cry from "tall" (there are definitely kids taller than me) and ride a regular old BMX bike with 20" wheels and a 20.0" top tube. If we're talking about someone who's actually tall, you most likely want a longer top tube than that. Luckily it'll be easier to find a bike for someone taller...quality bikes with TTs ranging from 20.5-21" are plentiful...it's the smaller sizes where it's hard to find a complete that's not junk. Here's a sizing chart to give you a general idea: https://www.danscomp.com/serve/produc...riderchart.htm

Now...light. Light implies an aluminum (or carbon) race BMX bike, but what scares me is you're saying street. Race BMX bikes are not intended to be ridden on the street. They're just not built to take the abuse. Thankfully, freestyle BMX bikes aren't as heavy as they were, and you can find a solid freestyle BMX bike in the mid to low-20 pound range. Just make sure you go full-chromoly...stronger, and should be lighter too. Here's an example of one with a 20.5" TT, and a relatively svelte 25lbs: https://www.danscomp.com/products-BIK...Whip_Bike.html

Also, there's a good chance that even a race BMX bike will weigh more than your road bike, unless you're willing to drop a huge amount of money on it. And Intense Race Pro XL weighs 24lbs and both Haro's Pro Race and the GT Power Series Pro are just under 22lbs, and none of them are built to be ridden street like a freestyle BMX bike is.