Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Cycling/Exercise Reports - April 27/28

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-13, 02:02 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts

Last weekend in April! Tell us what you did this weekend in the way of cycling or other exercise adventures.

Our weekend started, in a way, on Thursday. Thursday was Anzac Day and we had it off ... we were back to work on Friday, so it wasn't a real long weekend, but it was nice to have the extra day off.

On Thursday, Rowan and I did a 89.53 km ride on the local rail trail.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Anzac-Day-Ride

Saturday -- We just got in from a 2 hour hike/climb up one of the local mountains.

We drove up to a certain picnic site, checked the map on the information board, and looked at the first information section which told us that there were two routes to the peak which would form a loop. Each was supposed to take 45 minutes. And they said that hikers should not use one of the routes as a descent route. So we decided to climb it, and descend the other. And off we went!

An hour later, after hiking/climbing a route, which I thought several times should have included advice to carry ropes and picks, we weren't anywhere near the top, so we decided to turn around and go back.

Turns out, we got off the path at one point and were scaling the mountain where there wasn't much of a path ... and it also turns out that we picked the only route designated "Very Hard ... for experienced climbers only".

Oh well ... it was a good workout!!
Old 04-27-13, 09:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Photos from today's hiking/climbing adventure ... click photos for more ...

The easy part of the path ...

Making our way up and over rocks ...

A more challenging part of the climb ...

Some of the path ...

With the path behind me ...

More climbing ...
Old 04-27-13, 10:25 AM
Element GT

Bikes: '15 Prolite '04 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friday- Had a great 32mile ride on a new route that went along the river. Was a perfect day with great scenery!

Saturday- 21 miles working on bike fit.

Sunday- 29 miles, fine tuned seat height (I think I finally got it!) similar loop to friday

Last edited by Element GT; 04-28-13 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-27-13, 11:58 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Saturday: 22.4 miles solo riding.
Sunday : about 60 miles with a friend planned.
Old 04-27-13, 12:40 PM
Jakedatc

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Fri: 39mi with a friend. first day with no shoe covers, knee warmers or arm warmers. good day. https://connect.garmin.com/activity/303607962
Old 04-27-13, 06:36 PM
FPSDavid

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode 31 miles today @ 3pm, drenched in sweat by the time I got home... damn Sacramento and it being 90+F in April!

https://app.strava.com/activities/51061629

Picture from yesterday's ride on a similar route:

Last edited by FPSDavid; 04-27-13 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-27-13, 07:00 PM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
An hour later, after hiking/climbing a route, which I thought several times should have included advice to carry ropes and picks, we weren't anywhere near the top, so we decided to turn around and go back.

Turns out, we got off the path at one point and were scaling the mountain where there wasn't much of a path ... and it also turns out that we picked the only route designated "Very Hard ... for experienced climbers only".

Oh well ... it was a good workout!!
I know that area well - Wells Cave Track. You definitely missed the turn uphill early on. Just when you had the first outcrops above the track, there is a left turn which weaves steeper upwards. Looks like you continued traversing along the hillside before trying to cut back up...
Old 04-27-13, 07:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Dalai
I know that area well - Wells Cave Track. You definitely missed the turn uphill early on. Just when you had the first outcrops above the track, there is a left turn which weaves steeper upwards. Looks like you continued traversing along the hillside before trying to cut back up...
Yeah, we saw it on the way back. Despite the fact that the info board says that we shouldn't use the Wells Cave Track for a descent, all the markers are on the side of the tree for people who are descending. There were heaps of markers on the way back, but we saw only one quite early on the way up.

Cathedral is only a hop, skip, and jump from where we live (we used to live right next to it), but we haven't done any hiking up there before now and thought we should attempt a little bit while we're still in this area.
Old 04-28-13, 03:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Sunday - a short 12.44 km ride up the road to try to loosen up the muscles from yesterday's hike. I can't believe how sore my quads are ... I guess hiking uses a slightly different part of the quads than cycling.
Old 04-28-13, 06:23 AM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friday : 400m altitude gain over 5km and back (so 10km total, 3rd ride of the season)
Saturday : 58kms, 800m altitude gain. (second ride over 50kms of the season, fourth ride overall)
Today : I might go for a 35kms.
Old 04-28-13, 06:36 AM
MarkThailand

Bikes: Lynskey Helix OS and R330, Parlee Z1, Anderson 953 Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my first weekend back in Thailand since April 5 when I left for our annual skiing/California vacation.

Well, I managed to twist my knee skiing on spring slush snow - I could not walk down stairs for a couple of days but managed to ski on the third. Well, after skiing were four days of Disneyland and Legoland. Then some shopping. Needless to say, I have not exercised since April 5.

Saturday - I started my ride at 630 am under brewing storm clouds. I managed to ride 60 km before the skies opened up.

Sudnay - I rode with my brother around our usual training loop around Souvarnabhumi airport. I could ride only 45 km before I had to stop due to the rain. But, I was also getting really tired - not sure if I could had pushed through it or not. But, I am definitely weaker - I guess a month of the bike would do that.

Mark
Old 04-28-13, 07:32 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Yesterday: longest ride ever -- 90 miles. And while the average speed won't impress most of this forum, it was a. faster than I was doing similar rides a few months ago b. faster than I was doing short rides a year ago and c. steady -- I didn't hit a fatigue drop-off. I did miles 74-79 at tempo (the 90 miles was "ride 11 miles to an event, ride the event, ride home", so I decided to gun it at the end of the event ride) and felt great both doing it and no more tired after a short breather than if I'd just slogged along for those 5 miles. And the hill repeats I've been doing are paying off; I still suck at climbing but I'm less miserable on them.

Today: nothing planned except walking around the open studios in my town today and enjoying the beautiful weather some more.

Last edited by antimonysarah; 04-29-13 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-28-13, 07:36 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got in 60 miles yesterday to sauvie island in Portland Oregon. Lots of head wind on the way out and even more coming back. Good ride
Old 04-28-13, 08:10 AM
danielrbaer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 50 miles Friday, 35 Saturday, and will be trying to find a trainer 'cause of the rainy weather today.
Old 04-28-13, 08:53 AM
justinw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah... 45 mile spring training club ride yesterday... and now a nice spin with the wife for whatever mileage
Old 04-28-13, 07:36 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This weekend I again had the honor and pleasure of riding in the Face of America ride from DC to Gettysburg...104 miles over two days...weather was gorgeous this year for a welcome change. This is an awesome and inspiring event put on by World Team Sports to involve and raise funds for Wounded Warriors. This year over 120 severely wounded veterans rode out of the 500 participants. I'm talking double and triple amputees, folks...rolling handbikes or regular bicycles, you can only imagine the challenge for some. This is a controlled group ride with *******, so we also get to blow through every stoplight and stop sign along the way.

This guy Tim is a beast...rode 104 miles using only one arm, and that with less than 5 fingers remaining...has also ridden San Antonio > Fort Worth

You might recognize this guy from the movie "Battleship"...COL Gadsen is also the Garrison Commander at Fort Belvoir VA

These guys are fearless on the trikes and will bomb down hills at 50mph+

Whether you're patriotic or not...these wounded men and women cyclists are inspiring

Always good company for me...
Old 04-28-13, 07:46 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Got in a 32 mile ride yesterday and today was the MN Ironman Bicycle ride (not a tri - the ride predates the Ironman triathlons, so they get to keep the name) - it was a little over 108 miles. Windy, windy today, and seemed to work against me about 80% of the time, even though the ride consisted of three loops. Kind of a rough ride for me, 'specially considering how early it is in the season (we had about 6" of fresh snowfall less than a week ago and a 8-10" the week before that).
Old 04-28-13, 07:47 PM
mikemarin

Bikes: trek madone 6.2. Felt z5,Colnago master lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
15 on saturday and 31 miles today.
Old 04-28-13, 07:50 PM
mleach82

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a 30 mile shop ride on Saturday, Sunday was a bust.
Old 04-28-13, 08:02 PM
Gatorfreak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saturday: Did my first century (101 miles to be exact) in a charity ride. My longest ride prior was 68 miles.
Sunday: What do you think....I laid around the house all day.
Old 04-29-13, 07:52 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by MarkThailand
This is my first weekend back in Thailand since April 5 when I left for our annual skiing/California vacation.
Welcome back!
Old 04-29-13, 08:33 AM
logroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40 mile club ride on Sat and 60 mile club ride on Sun. Gradually, building it up.
Old 04-29-13, 09:43 AM
vwchad

Bikes: 2013 Focus Izalco Pro, Soma Grand Randonneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100 miles with 8000 feet of climbing on Whidbey Island Saturday. We got SOOOO lucky with the weather. Light rain a few times, but not enough to even wet the road. Good ride.
Old 04-29-13, 10:00 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Last weekend in April! Tell us what you did this weekend in the way of cycling or other exercise adventures.
I had an adventure on Saturday. My partner and I had had our eyes on a cliff with no established routes on it for a few weeks and we decided to see if it goes.

We anchored to a boulder the size of a Smart Car about 75 feet back from the ledge, bolstered it with a few stoppers and a Camalot, then rappelled to the bottom, and I climbed first. About a third of the way up, my handhold broke away from the rest of the cliff and I fell backwards. It was a good, clean fall, out away from the cliff, so I didn't touch anything on the way down, and, of course, the rope stopped me. Made it to the top after that.
Old 04-29-13, 12:21 PM
Mmj12345

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Completed my first metric century about an hour North of Milwaukee yesterday! More hills than I am used to since I live in Chicago, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I attempted a metric century last April on a hybrid but didn't make it... what a difference my new SuperSix made Averaged 16mph too which is faster than I expected to complete it (riding with someone much faster than me helped challenge myself to keep up with him).

Registering today for the Apple Cider Century in September which apparently drew 6,000 riders last year!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.jpg (79.9 KB, 2 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.