Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

sidewalks?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

sidewalks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 11:32 AM
mshred
It do, but it don't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sidewalks?

another newbie question...

if you are biking around town and you are on a street with sidewalks, do you take the street or the sidewalk?
Old 05-01-13, 11:33 AM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez Comp, 2001 Kona Stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No.
Old 05-01-13, 11:36 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Street. It's generally safer, and in most places it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk. However this is rarely enforced, and as a practical matter there are times when you might decide you're safer on the sidewalk, at least for short distances. If you do decide to ride on the sidewalk, be aware that at intersections of all kinds drivers will not be expecting you and you represent a significant danger to pedestrians. So go very slow and be extra vigilant.
Old 05-01-13, 11:40 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
Nope.
Old 05-01-13, 11:51 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
Unless your dad has just taken off your training wheels and is running behind you holding the saddle, no.
Old 05-01-13, 11:58 AM
Spartannia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always the street. Used to ride on sidewalks when I was in college and didn't know any better. Stopped doing that when a driver who wasn't looking for somebody on the sidewalk clipped my back wheel. Didn't go down but it was very close.
Old 05-01-13, 12:01 PM
pihb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I strongely suggest you read the traffic laws of the road and where bicycles come into play for your city.
Old 05-01-13, 12:12 PM
lazyeye

Bikes: Giant, Anyroad 2, DB Podium 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually I'd take the street. Sidewalks are for pedestrians.

The exception is a place in my town where a MUP crosses the river and turns into a sidewalk on the wrong side of the street. I ride the sidewalk for a block until an area where I can safely cross over to the bike lane on the other side.
Old 05-01-13, 12:22 PM
mshred
It do, but it don't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pihb
I strongely suggest you read the traffic laws of the road and where bicycles come into play for your city.
it appears to be ok in my city to ride on sidewalks - feels wrong though. i moved here a couple years ago from a city that was very bike friendly (fort collins, CO) and this new city doesnt seem to be nearly as bike friendly or safe.
Old 05-01-13, 12:26 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,120 Times in 1,926 Posts
Originally Posted by mshred

if you are biking around town and you are on a street with sidewalks, do you take the street or the sidewalk?
If I'm on the side walk with my bike, it's generally because I'm walking the bike. Occasionally, I'll transition to/from riding if I'm somewhere that I'm locking up the bike and there's no one else around or if I'm somewhere that the only way to get where I'm going is by sidewalk (no roads like on a college campus), but that's just about it.

Old 05-01-13, 01:05 PM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Come on, people?

Nobody suggested the OP should have posted in the sidewalk forum?
Old 05-01-13, 01:08 PM
himespau 

Liked 3,120 Times in 1,926 Posts
Eh, he's new here and many of us had this question when we first started. It's par for the course.

Old 05-01-13, 01:08 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Just as an aside, I'd say beach cruisers should be on the sidewalk. I can outrun them anyway...
Old 05-01-13, 01:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Just as an aside, I'd say beach cruisers should be on the sidewalk. I can outrun them anyway...
I think you were being flip, but the serious answer is that these are the worst. Hipsters ride these all over the sidewalks in Midtown between restaurants and bars. Most of them have handle bars that are huge (>50cm). More than once I've had some self-entitled jackwagon nearly run over my kids as we are walking. A pox on them.
Old 05-01-13, 01:16 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I think you were being flip, but the serious answer is that these are the worst. Hipsters ride these all over the sidewalks in Midtown between restaurants and bars. Most of them have handle bars that are huge (>50cm). More than once I've had some self-entitled jackwagon nearly run over my kids as we are walking. A pox on them.
Only semi-flip... don't think I'd like beach cruisers on the road with cars, either.

Of course, I kind of just don't like them in general.
Old 05-01-13, 01:18 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Only semi-flip... don't think I'd like beach cruisers on the road with cars, either.

Of course, I kind of just don't like them in general.
Oh, we can all definitely agree on that! ;-)
Old 05-01-13, 01:21 PM
mshred
It do, but it don't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
Come on, people?

Nobody suggested the OP should have posted in the sidewalk forum?
well played. i fully expect more of this type of response to my newbie questions. it's a lot more fun to ask you all than it is to read the rules/regs on this stuff (did that today though...boring).

the training wheels and dad holding the saddle response is my favorite so far.
Old 05-01-13, 03:01 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here's my favourite, statistically you are less safe on the sidewalk than on the road.
Old 05-01-13, 03:05 PM
cvall91

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our city isn't very cycling friendly, and our drivers are far from it as well So if I'm riding with my parents and just taking a slow stroll to eat or something, I'll take the sidewalk with them. It's actually safer than trying and failing to ride single file, while my mom swerves side to side on her beach cruiser that is apparently "hard to control". All other instances, I ride on the street. I've had more close calls on sidewalks than on the street, which has been about 0.1% of all my riding.
Old 05-01-13, 03:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
If you don't feel safe on the road because of all the cars careening about at high speed, imagine how the 80 year old lady feels about all the bikes on the sidewalk!
Old 05-01-13, 03:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Originally Posted by mshred

I wouldn't make such a big deal about "walk" being part of the word sidewalk. We park in the driveway and drive on the parkway.

But of course you're right. Just not for this particular reason, for all the other ones.
Old 05-01-13, 03:47 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/dsd_a143.pdf

Wow, apparently you can ride on the sidewalk there.

Too much to chew through. Good Luck

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...15&ChapAct=625 ILCS 5/&ChapterID=49&ChapterName=VEHICLES&SectionID=59725&SeqStart=124000000&SeqEnd=125900000&ActName=Illin ois+Vehicle+Code.
Old 05-01-13, 04:58 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/dsd_a143.pdf

Wow, apparently you can ride on the sidewalk there.

Too much to chew through. Good Luck

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...15&ChapAct=625 ILCS 5/&ChapterID=49&ChapterName=VEHICLES&SectionID=59725&SeqStart=124000000&SeqEnd=125900000&ActName=Illin ois+Vehicle+Code.
Someone mentioned earlier accident statistics which show sidwalk riding to be more dangerous than road riding - this is true. What surprised me is it's even true when riding against traffic. Riding on the road with traffic is safer than any direction on the sidewalk, riding on the wrong side of the road is more dangerous than the sidewalk moving with traffic, but riding on the sidewalk against traffic is more dangerous than riding in the road against traffic.

The main reason the sidewalk is more dangerous is that people are not looking for bikes to come off them. Drivers assume that if no one is in the crosswalk at any given moment, no one will enter the crosswalk before they can get through. They are also far less likely to notice your existence in general.
Old 05-01-13, 05:35 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by jsharr
Too much to chew through.
Some can pedal (on the sidewalk) and chew at the same time.
Old 05-01-13, 05:39 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Liked 2,064 Times in 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerull
Riding on the road with traffic is safer than any direction on the sidewalk, riding on the wrong side of the road is more dangerous than the sidewalk moving with traffic, but riding on the sidewalk against traffic is more dangerous than riding in the road against traffic.
Where does someone get sufficient data on riding on the road against traffic? Bicycle safety statistics aren't that good even for normal riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.