Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Maintenance Tips

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike Maintenance Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 07:46 AM
recneps345

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Maintenance Tips

I would love to know what the minimum things I should be doing for my bike and how often I should do them. The extent of my maintenance now is to take in for 2/year tune up. Other than that I might lube my chain every now and then. I had a guy at the bike shop that almost had a heart attack when he heard I wasn't lubing my chain atleast every other ride. What is reasonable to keep a safe bike? Thanks.
Old 05-14-13, 07:53 AM
Jakedatc

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
wipe down chain and relube it (i like prolink) every 100-150mi for me.. every once in a while i pull my cassette off and clean all of the cogs with Simple Green. at the same time i'll clean the RD pullys because they tend to get gunked up at about the same rate.

minimum though you really should lube your chain more often.
Old 05-14-13, 07:58 AM
recneps345

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
wipe down chain and relube it (i like prolink) every 100-150mi for me.. every once in a while i pull my cassette off and clean all of the cogs with Simple Green. at the same time i'll clean the RD pullys because they tend to get gunked up at about the same rate.

Great. So there aren't five other things I am neglecting other than my chain. I'm due for a new chain, so I will treat this one better. Thanks.
Old 05-14-13, 08:14 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Liked 477 Times in 282 Posts
I degrease my chain, derailleurs and chainrings with WD40 every couple of weeks. Spray to remove gunk, I use a tooth brush to really clean the chain...hold bristles against all four sides of soaked chain while turning cranks to loosen and remove gunk...use wd40 to spray off the gunk, etc. wipe clean with rags, including chain rings, etc. Lube chain with lube of choice, also lube pivot points on deraillerus. While lube is soaking in I wipe down the frame and brake calipers...lube those pivot points as well...clean brake pads off with a light scrubbing of sandpaper. Wipe excess lube off chain, etc., wipe down frame with a bit of wd40 sprayed on a clean cloth...old tshirts cut into pieces...also wipe down wheel set and tires...I like to use Windex to clean my bike and wheels...no real reason except it works and I like the smell...put the wheels back on...I take the wheels off when doing this maintenance...check cable tension for derailleurs and I'm ready for the next ride.
Old 05-14-13, 05:24 PM
DOS

Liked 70 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
I degrease my chain, derailleurs and chainrings with WD40 every couple of weeks. Spray to remove gunk, I use a tooth brush to really clean the chain...hold bristles against all four sides of soaked chain while turning cranks to loosen and remove gunk...use wd40 to spray off the gunk, etc. wipe clean with rags, including chain rings, etc. Lube chain with lube of choice, also lube pivot points on deraillerus. While lube is soaking in I wipe down the frame and brake calipers...lube those pivot points as well...clean brake pads off with a light scrubbing of sandpaper. Wipe excess lube off chain, etc., wipe down frame with a bit of wd40 sprayed on a clean cloth...old tshirts cut into pieces...also wipe down wheel set and tires...I like to use Windex to clean my bike and wheels...no real reason except it works and I like the smell...put the wheels back on...I take the wheels off when doing this maintenance...check cable tension for derailleurs and I'm ready for the next ride.
Doing this every couple of weeks is excessive. I give chain a very quick wipe with dry rag after every ride to remove debris accumulated during that ride. Then a bit of lube as needed and a more thorough cleaning with degreaser every few months -- the regular dry wipe down keeps chain pretty clean.

Other than lube, keep tires inflated to correct pressure.
Old 05-14-13, 06:20 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check your tires for embedded sharps that haven't worked through the casing. Check brake pads for wear, aluminum shards, debris etc.
Old 05-14-13, 07:17 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Just make a good effort to keep your bike clean - you'll discover things that need attention if you do a nice job cleaning it. If you think your chain needs to be cleaned & lubed, the rest of your drive train probably does too.
Old 05-15-13, 06:08 AM
jolly_ross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After each ride you should dismantle your bike entirely - storing each part in a separate ziploc bag. This includes dismantling the chain into separate pins and plates.

That should keep bikeshop guy happy.
Old 05-15-13, 07:41 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc

Agree with all of this, but it makes me wonder: How on Earth did I get through three years on my bike in the 70's delivering papers without my bike assploding from lack of maintenance? I barely remember pumping up the tires!
Old 05-15-13, 01:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
Doing this every couple of weeks is excessive. I give chain a very quick wipe with dry rag after every ride to remove debris accumulated during that ride. Then a bit of lube as needed and a more thorough cleaning with degreaser every few months -- the regular dry wipe down keeps chain pretty clean.

Agree. Lube, wipe, ride, repeat ad infinitum.
Old 05-15-13, 01:53 PM
Harun
:p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
Check brake pads for wear, aluminum shards, debris etc.
especially if you're brake happy and descend a lot. The pads can glaze over and compromise stopping power. A couple swipes with a metal file makes the pads like new. Your brakes will work better and your rims will last longer.
Old 05-15-13, 01:55 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lube and wipe chain periodically. Major clean after heavy rain rides and races.
Old 05-15-13, 02:19 PM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have two chains. One soaks in degreaser while i'm using the other. To me it's easier than cleaning, and gets the chain cleaner. About every two weeks or when chain looks dirty i swap it out and put some lube on it.
Old 05-15-13, 02:56 PM
tanguy frame

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Harun
especially if you're brake happy and descend a lot. The pads can glaze over and compromise stopping power. A couple swipes with a metal file makes the pads like new. Your brakes will work better and your rims will last longer.
I never tried that. What file do you use?
Old 05-15-13, 03:09 PM
DEW21

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
120 grit sandpaper on a flat surface, lay each pad flat on the sandpaper and slide across a couple times. That's all it takes to remove the glaze. then wet a scotchbrite pad with water and Dawn dish soap and wipe down rim surface to clean off brake pad material off the rim. Just did this yesterday on my Giant Escape 2 with 300 miles on it and it felt like an 60% increase in stopping power. I also used the rubberband trick to put some toe-in on the pads when reinstalling.
Old 05-15-13, 05:40 PM
quadripper

Bikes: Trek

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_ross
After each ride you should dismantle your bike entirely - storing each part in a separate ziploc bag. This includes dismantling the chain into separate pins and plates.

That should keep bikeshop guy happy.
+1

Make sure to label each ziploc bag, and date it with an expiration date.
Old 05-15-13, 06:13 PM
bsektzer

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DEW21
...rubberband trick to put some toe-in on the pads when reinstalling.
What is this "rubberband trick" thing you mentioned?
Old 05-15-13, 06:29 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
There is a serious confusion in this thread of maintenance to assure safe riding and long life of components with aesthetic prejudices. Keeping brake pads in good order is important. Adjusting brakes is important. Checking tightness of fasteners, the same. Lubing the chain is necessary. But cleaning the gunk off chain, cassette, and derailleurs is pure vanity. Derailluer pulley bearings nowadays in high end products are sealed so lubing them is silly. I respect folks who like their drive trains to look pristine, but there is no benefit to it besides cleanliness. Knock yourselves out, but don't think you have to do it to be a real cyclist. - Robert
Old 05-15-13, 09:50 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
TBut cleaning the gunk off chain, cassette, and derailleurs is pure vanity.
I am not a frequent cleaner, but most people will tell you that a clean drive train will last longer.
Old 05-16-13, 05:37 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by island rider
I am not a frequent cleaner, but most people will tell you that a clean drive train will last longer.
Yes, I think most people who read and post here will tell you that. I don't think they are right or at least not right enough to matter very much. My chains last for a long time, certainly long enough to satisfy me. I have a Shimano 600 crank that I have been using since 1983 on which the teeth are still well formed and which still shifts fine. Simple lubrication is what it is all about.
Old 05-16-13, 08:05 PM
DEW21

Bikes: 2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsektzer
What is this "rubberband trick" thing you mentioned?
Forgot where I read about it but to set the toe-in on the pads, you wrap a thick (.030") rubberband around the back edge of the pad (so its between the rim and the pad) to set the toe in, thghten the pad then remove the rubberband. This seems to help with squealing brakes.
Old 05-17-13, 04:41 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by DEW21
Forgot where I read about it but to set the toe-in on the pads, you wrap a thick (.030") rubberband around the back edge of the pad (so its between the rim and the pad) to set the toe in, thghten the pad then remove the rubberband. This seems to help with squealing brakes.
That seems like a good idea. I am building up a frame soon and will give it a try. You don't need the rubber band, however. You can also just set the pads fully flush to the rims and tight against them, then open the calipers a couple of mm or whatever your preferred clearance is (adjustment screw). Now loosen each pad, and squeeze just the fronts against the rims and retighten. You can do this one pad at a time since that is easier. Now the pads are toed but the front of each pad is dragging on the rim. So now use the adjustment screw to open to your desired clearance.
Old 05-17-13, 05:02 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS

+1
No need to go crazy cleaning the chain and cassette, just wipe down the chain and lube. I never remove my chain except to replace it after thousand of miles. The chain will stretch no matter how clean it is.

I also never wash my bike just spray it with Windex and polish with Pledge. I never let my bike get really dirty and if conditions are really bad will use a sponge with a little dish soap.

The one thing that I find important is the clean the braking surface on the wheel. Not everyday but about once a week depending upon usage.

No need for special "bike" soap or polish but a good bike chain lube is important.