Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bigger rear sprocket or suck it up?!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 05:38 PM
GaryPitts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm still a rookie at this, 2.5 years in, plus I'm older, 58. I recently got my first drop bar bike and joined my local cycling club and between the two my average speed has gone up from around 14.5 to 16.5 MPH. Onward and upward, right?! This is my first bike with a 50/34 front and 11/28 rear. Next closest I have is 50/34 and 11/32.

Riding a metric last weekend with a few serious hills, I was straining to get up a few of them with a pretty low cadence which got me wondering... Should I just suck it up and keep developing my skills or would it beneficial to replace the rear sprocket with a 12/30 or better 12/32 to help with the big hills as I continue to develop? Would appreciate hearing what others that have been though this may offer. Thanks!
Old 06-08-13, 05:40 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of rear derailleur do you have? You might already be at its upper limit with the 28.
Old 06-08-13, 05:44 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
If you're straining but making it, can you work hard and consistently to get your power up some? You shouldn't need worlds more power to get the cadence up to a more comfortable level. If 34/28 is too hard, you're talking either a mid-cage and 12-32 or switching to a triple.
Old 06-08-13, 06:01 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's absolutely no good reason to "suck it up", there's nothing to be gained by forcing yourself to work at suboptimal cadence. The only reason not to do it is if your remaining hardware won't support it. Do you have Domane 5.9 with Ultegra Di2? I have Di2 as well (though on a Cannondale) and it works fine with a 11-32 cassette.
Old 06-08-13, 06:17 PM
jrhz06

Bikes: Felt F5, 907, GT Karakoram

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
12/30 works fine with Shimano 105 standard length rear derailleur. I have two wheelsets, one with 11/28 and the other with 12/30 and switch between them based on what I will be riding on any given day and how I'm feeling. Not much difference but it does help that little bit on tough climbs and at 59 some days I need that little extra help.
Old 06-08-13, 06:37 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
+1 on the above, no reason to suck it up if you can enjoy your ride with a lower gear to finish the climb with a sense of accomplishment. I did a century today where people were talking about the hard climbs, I feel like poop right now but not because of the climbs where a nice low gear allowed me to plod along happily. I'm sure you will feel less fatigue climbing in the right gear for you so that you can ride longer and stronger each ride after!
Old 06-08-13, 09:02 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Liked 1,834 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster
There's absolutely no good reason to "suck it up", there's nothing to be gained by forcing yourself to work at suboptimal cadence.
I agree.
Old 06-08-13, 09:50 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Liked 737 Times in 375 Posts
Early on I got told to suck it up by the kind folks down at the LBS. They pointed me at the 2nd nastiest hill around (the first is a doozy). Now I spin past those pinch points and remember my former self wheezing on the side of the road.

OP if you're still seeing improvements 28 should be all you need long term.
Old 06-08-13, 10:00 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you think you could honestly suck it up, then by all means. most the time for me, I find that it is mind over matter and I just have to muscle my way up, especially on those days where I just aint feeling it. BUT when you go on rides and always feel defeated it can make you lose interest and not want to ride. Not riding as much means you aren't going to get stronger. If you feel that you cannot physically make it with what you have then make adjustments and then again when/if you get stronger.

Last edited by bianchi10; 06-08-13 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 10:04 PM
Shimagnolo

Liked 5,650 Times in 2,931 Posts
"Sucking it up" resulted knee problems that sent me to the doctor and tooks months to resolve.
If your gearing isn't low enough to keep you above 60rpm on the hills you ride, then you need lower gears.
Old 06-09-13, 08:04 AM
GaryPitts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster
There's absolutely no good reason to "suck it up", there's nothing to be gained by forcing yourself to work at suboptimal cadence. The only reason not to do it is if your remaining hardware won't support it. Do you have Domane 5.9 with Ultegra Di2? I have Di2 as well (though on a Cannondale) and it works fine with a 11-32 cassette.
Yes, the Domane with Di2. I've seen videos and articles online showing 11/32 will work if you reverse the B limit screw. If I decided to do it, would the SRAM PG-1070 work OK? Would something else be better?
Old 06-09-13, 10:09 AM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM PG-1070 is the one I use.
Old 06-09-13, 11:17 AM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe riding should be fun and as pain-free as possible. In my area you can't ride 20 miles without hitting some decent hills so I ride a compact with 12-32 on the back.

There's no shame in spinning!

*edit* - also to add - I prefer to "front load" my rides with hills but sometimes you can't avoid it and need to climb towards the end of a ride. Quite often I'll take advantage of the 32 when I'm completely spent where otherwise I may not do it. It's a good bailout.

Last edited by megalowmatt; 06-09-13 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 12:36 PM
JohnDFW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kludged together a 12-34 8sp cassette to get a 1:1 low gear ratio. Had to install a mountain bike derailleur and longer chain to go with it. Best upgrade I've made so far, and I wish I'd done it sooner. Cycling is so much more fun knowing "granny" is there if I need her.

I don't care about the weight penalty or how ridiculous this setup looks on a road bike. YMMV
Old 06-09-13, 12:56 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Liked 2,246 Times in 1,508 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Early on I got told to suck it up by the kind folks down at the LBS. They pointed me at the 2nd nastiest hill around (the first is a doozy). Now I spin past those pinch points and remember my former self wheezing on the side of the road.

OP if you're still seeing improvements 28 should be all you need long term.
^This. Too many people think they should maintain their cadence from the flats all the time, especially on steep climbs. Hills mean standing some and powering up at a lower, more moderate cadence.

Keeping cadence the same ensures you go up but at a very, very slow pace. You know you are going slow when a little old lady in a walker yells "on your left"
Old 06-09-13, 03:25 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a route contains steep enough hills to require a 30 or a 32, then the downhill portion of the ride will require an 11 since you will spin out in a 12. An 11 - 30 or 11 - 32 would work but the intermediate intervals could prove problematic. It would be best to strenghthen yourself and use an 11 - 28.
Old 06-09-13, 03:42 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
+1 to not hurting yourself if sucking it up means stress on your knees. If you just have a few small hills that are a challenge, suck it up. If you have a 7mi hill that makes you weave back and forth across the hill you're probably not helping yourself to get in better shape and may also be doing harm. Your call. If you change to a bigger cassette in the rear it's not like you can't swap back. If you can afford it, try a bigger cassette and see how it goes.
Old 06-09-13, 03:50 PM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GaryPitts
Yes, the Domane with Di2. I've seen videos and articles online showing 11/32 will work if you reverse the B limit screw. If I decided to do it, would the SRAM PG-1070 work OK? Would something else be better?
Just make sure you can do the shift from the small big to big big without tearing things apart. I would run the longest chain you can.

I took a bunch of pictures of when I swapped the cage on my Ultegra DI2 derailleur, I should post up the how to since there aren't any I can find online. I'm running the SRAM 11-32 cassette and I like to keep my cadence above 70 on hills, usually closer to 90 if it's possible.
Old 06-09-13, 04:34 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rubic
If a route contains steep enough hills to require a 30 or a 32, then the downhill portion of the ride will require an 11 since you will spin out in a 12. An 11 - 30 or 11 - 32 would work but the intermediate intervals could prove problematic. It would be best to strenghthen yourself and use an 11 - 28.
I know this will sound blasphemous here in the road forum but I don't care about spinning out on a downhill. Mid to high 30s (mph) is fine with me.
Old 06-09-13, 04:58 PM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jrhz06
12/30 works fine with Shimano 105 standard length rear derailleur. I have two wheelsets, one with 11/28 and the other with 12/30 and switch between them based on what I will be riding on any given day and how I'm feeling. Not much difference but it does help that little bit on tough climbs and at 59 some days I need that little extra help.
This. I just put a 12-30 on my stock 105 bike with 34/50 compact. The 30t makes a huge compared to the 27t I had before.
Old 06-09-13, 08:48 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Once the grades get to 9-10% and I seriously lose cadence (34/27t) I just go with it and continue at the lower cadence. I know I'd be faster with gearing that let me spin, but I don't particularly care how fast I am up a 10% grade since they don't make up that much of my riding. I sometimes also switch to a taller gear and ride at a lower cadence on lesser grades just to change things up a little bit. It's just pedaling up a hill... not piloting a moon rocket.
Old 06-09-13, 09:35 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by megalowmatt
I know this will sound blasphemous here in the road forum but I don't care about spinning out on a downhill. Mid to high 30s (mph) is fine with me.
You and I may be the only ones. Just doesn't bother me at all.
Old 06-09-13, 09:36 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by StanSeven
^This. Too many people think they should maintain their cadence from the flats all the time, especially on steep climbs. Hills mean standing some and powering up at a lower, more moderate cadence.

Keeping cadence the same ensures you go up but at a very, very slow pace. You know you are going slow when a little old lady in a walker yells "on your left"
How, exactly, does cadence factor into climbing speed? Power and weight.
Old 06-09-13, 09:40 PM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Once the grades get to 9-10% and I seriously lose cadence (34/27t) I just go with it and continue at the lower cadence. I know I'd be faster with gearing that let me spin, but I don't particularly care how fast I am up a 10% grade since they don't make up that much of my riding. I sometimes also switch to a taller gear and ride at a lower cadence on lesser grades just to change things up a little bit. It's just pedaling up a hill... not piloting a moon rocket.
Around here we have a few hills with 400+ foot climbs averaging 13-15%. I can get to the top of one of those in 34/32, but I have to pedal out of the saddle and they are serious leg killers. I can ride up the same hill in 28/32 while seated most of the time. It's less exhausting and more efficient.

I just did one of those hills a couple of weeks ago and managed to improve my time on the Strava segment from my previous best of 8:16 to 7:10. Almost the same weight, maybe a bit higher aerobic fitness level. The only major difference was the low gear: 28/32 vs. my old 34/32.
Old 06-09-13, 09:52 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Better gearing then train on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.