Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

At What Speed Will I Be Safe From A Night Ambush?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 02:55 PM
Aznman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

After my summer vacation, I will start commuting earnestly at night. Although it will be a while to go, I would like to ask now so that I can train: at what speed will I be mostly (not completely) safe from ambushers? Assume that the ambushers have arms but not guns.

I am aware that nothing beats 1)situational awareness, 2) space between you and the attacker, 3) and being armed. I know that speed is a minor factor when compare to the three factors.
But high speed does help.

Some people would say that you should travel at maximum speed. The problem, of course, is that people cannot travel at maximum speed all the time.

The reason why I ask this question is that I want to know what is the minimum speed that would make it near impossible for people to grab onto you (if they can even reach you). What is the minimum speed where a 160 lbs person plus his bike can RAM even big attackers (i.e. the attackers will feel the hurt even when he is big)?

Last edited by Aznman; 06-21-13 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 03:04 PM
joshuatrio

Bikes: Giant TCR C1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say 15-20mph+

Assuming they are on foot.
Old 06-21-13, 03:08 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Liked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Too slow and the zombies from behind get ya,
too fast and you don't see them hiding around the corner.
I stay in the middle of the pack just to be safe. But
seriously, just cruise what's comfortable for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEwthddqM9U
Old 06-21-13, 03:12 PM
hubcap
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is one reason I keep coming back to bikeforums. Not the "which backpack is best" or "is a 60-mile commute feasible every day" questions. These kind of crazy questions are what perk my interest.

OP - good luck finding a study that answers your question. If someone wants to take you down, all they need is to clothesline you or use a decent size stick to do the task. Someone isn't probably going to want to shoulder check you if you're moving at 15 mph though. Normally I'd say run silent with a quiet freewheel or fixed gear, but at night I assume you are going to have lights and they will see you coming anyway.
Old 06-21-13, 03:18 PM
GuyDebord

Bikes: No.22 Great Divide Disc Custom Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zombies are known to attack in pairs at around 15mph, but the problem is that if they manage to grab you at any speed they are known to have a very powerful grip that will ultimately advance to eat your brain. Better to not bike at night, just a humble opinion.
Old 06-21-13, 03:41 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Liked 119 Times in 93 Posts
Do you have a range of route options?
Old 06-21-13, 03:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,600 Times in 1,593 Posts
You can always travel at maximum speed -- that maximum speed just happens to drop as you go.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-21-13, 03:51 PM
chefisaac

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Where do you live and whats the crime rate?

I commute through Camden, NJ. One of the most dangerous cities on the east cost and very high (the highest per cap) in homicides. I have not had an issue yet but to be frank, its all about respect. When I pass someone, I always say "good evening sir" or Thank you sir. Respect plays a key roll.

With that said, I also carry a dummy wallet and my panniers are very easy to remove so if someone wants my bike, I can snatch the pannier that has all my personal stuff that I need. The dummy wallet has a few bucks plus some old cards and a few fake gift cards.

You may also care to have a helmet cam too. Something I have but have not used yet.

Consider a VERY bright (and I mean very bright) helmet light. This will give you a lot of potions like seeing around corners, blinding attackers and getting drivers attention. It has been wonderful.

Also, an airzhorn makes a he11 of a lot of noise, especially when you need it.
Old 06-21-13, 03:52 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You gotta pack some heat.
Old 06-21-13, 04:24 PM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think speed will really be effective. If an ambusher jams a stick into your spokes at high speed, then your speed may do more harm than good.
Old 06-21-13, 04:25 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well, since I've had, a motorist intentionally slam me to the curb with his fender and a passenger of a car reach out and grab me trying to pull me down, I'd say that being able to exceed 100 mph would help, but it's no guarantee.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 06-21-13 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 04:35 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Can you outrun a sack of rocks tossed in front of your face?
Old 06-21-13, 04:40 PM
Aznman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalowings
You gotta pack some heat.
I do already Anyways, thanks for the more genuine answers. I thought that averaging 11 mph was good enough, but it seems like being closer to 20 mph is more advisable.

Last edited by Aznman; 06-21-13 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 05:12 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Liked 2,864 Times in 1,028 Posts
At 11mph or at 20mph if you ram someone you will probably get hurt as well as the rammee. Avoidance is better if possible. Use the speed to get away. Just a thought.
Old 06-21-13, 05:21 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 4,321 Times in 2,381 Posts
Since very few people are ambushed at night on a bike, you will be "mostly" safe at any speed you choose to ride. On the other hand, you could well be the exception . . .
Old 06-21-13, 05:33 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
is this a serious question?
Old 06-21-13, 05:37 PM
Aznman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
At 11mph or at 20mph if you ram someone you will probably get hurt as well as the rammee. Avoidance is better if possible. Use the speed to get away. Just a thought.
Said criminal can be intentionally blocking my way. Of course, at that stage, the gun is legally the most appropriate, but I was interested in non-lethal options.
Old 06-21-13, 05:52 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Liked 149 Times in 62 Posts
I go at ~%70 of max through the fear sectors, and my bike runs quiet. (that leaves me burst sprint potential). I think you have the element of surprise, just be prepared to sprint when necessary. And I think most peds don't anticipate how fast a quick pacing rider is moving, most urban (non-messenger) bikers seem to poke along. I commute through some less savory parts of town, I have never had any problems by just moving along quickly and quietly. Unless it is a planned attack, I think most bad guys need more than a few seconds to work out a plan - by then you should be long gone.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 06-21-13, 06:44 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Liked 356 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznman;15768754[B
at what speed will I be mostly (not completely) safe from ambushers[/B]?
That is a really good question.

It would be nice for you to have the capability to do 20-23 mph in a sprint at least. And there are so many variables that it is hard to give you a straight answer but here goes:

1: The faster you ride, the less time assailants have to react and plan an attack. I like 18-20mph assuming this does not put me in grave danger from other road users and peds.

2: You want to stay away from the edges of the road, parked cars, people milling around at the curb. So speed does help you to get into the flow of motor vehicle traffic where you are safest from assailants on foot. I had three guys try to stop me on a 35 mph road between the moving traffic to my left and the parked cars on my right. I just accelerated and joined the flow of traffic between two F150s. There was no way those dudes could grab at me without being hit by a truck. Just one example of how speed saves lives. People who live in dangerous neighborhoods walk down the middle of the street, not on the sidewalks for this very reason. Which brings us to...

3: If people are in the middle of the street up ahead, turn around or make a turn onto another street. Mostly it is just other people trying to not get jumped, but you can't take that risk. Never let anyone within arm's reach plus about 5 feet.

4: If you are in a sketchy area, don't announce your presence with a bike light. Either go Ninja or get a light bright as a motorcycle. Light makes a good tactical weapon. Blinding an assailant is a very effective defense. Don't run any lights that just scream "Hey you...I'm on a bike and you should clobber me and steal all my stuff!" Get invisible or get blinding.

5: A huge problem involves getting a flat tire in a bad area. Ride with tough tires like Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tires, Serfas Drifter S, or Continental Gatorskin Hardshells. Inspect them often at home for imbedded trash and remove it. Keep your tires inflated properly so you don't get pinch flats.

6: If you carry a weapon (I carry an alloy ASP collapsible baton) make sure you can get your hands on it instantly. It must be on your person, not attached to the bike or in a bag. You will be knocked away from your bike and have no time to shop through your backpack. Check your local laws for approved weaponry. I carry the baton just to avoid getting my arse kicked for nothing. They can take all my stuff but I am not going to sit still for an ass whipping too.

7: Don't be overly paranoid, but BELIEVE that there are people out there who would love to do harm to you. This will keep you on alert and one step ahead. If you are the least bit suspicious, turn around, find another route.

8: You are a sitting duck at stop signs and red lights. I recommend you only stop when you have to.

Hope this helps. Godspeed!
Old 06-21-13, 06:45 PM
Aznman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by norskagent
I go at ~%70 of max through the fear sectors, and my bike runs quiet. (that leaves me burst sprint potential). I think you have the element of surprise, just be prepared to sprint when necessary. And I think most peds don't anticipate how fast a quick pacing rider is moving, most urban (non-messenger) bikers seem to poke along. I commute through some less savory parts of town, I have never had any problems by just moving along quickly and quietly. Unless it is a planned attack, I think most bad guys need more than a few seconds to work out a plan - by then you should be long gone.
Thank you for your advice .
Old 06-21-13, 06:49 PM
Aznman

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
That is a really good question.

It would be nice for you to have the capability to do 20-23 mph in a sprint at least. And there are so many variables that it is hard to give you a straight answer but here goes:

1: The faster you ride, the less time assailants have to react and plan an attack. I like 18-20mph assuming this does not put me in grave danger from other road users and peds.

2: You want to stay away from the edges of the road, parked cars, people milling around at the curb. So speed does help you to get into the flow of motor vehicle traffic where you are safest from assailants on foot. I had three guys try to stop me on a 35 mph road between the moving traffic to my left and the parked cars on my right. I just accelerated and joined the flow of traffic between two F150s. There was no way those dudes could grab at me without being hit by a truck. Just one example of how speed saves lives. People who live in dangerous neighborhoods walk down the middle of the street, not on the sidewalks for this very reason. Which brings us to...

3: If people are in the middle of the street up ahead, turn around or make a turn onto another street. Mostly it is just other people trying to not get jumped, but you can't take that risk. Never let anyone within arm's reach plus about 5 feet.

4: If you are in a sketchy area, don't announce your presence with a bike light. Either go Ninja or get a light bright as a motorcycle. Light makes a good tactical weapon. Blinding an assailant is a very effective defense. Don't run any lights that just scream "Hey you...I'm on a bike and you should clobber me and steal all my stuff!" Get invisible or get blinding.

5: A huge problem involves getting a flat tire in a bad area. Ride with tough tires like Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tires, Serfas Drifter S, or Continental Gatorskin Hardshells. Inspect them often at home for imbedded trash and remove it. Keep your tires inflated properly so you don't get pinch flats.

6: If you carry a weapon (I carry an alloy ASP collapsible baton) make sure you can get your hands on it instantly. It must be on your person, not attached to the bike or in a bag. You will be knocked away from your bike and have no time to shop through your backpack. Check your local laws for approved weaponry. I carry the baton just to avoid getting my arse kicked for nothing. They can take all my stuff but I am not going to sit still for an ass whipping too.

7: Don't be overly paranoid, but BELIEVE that there are people out there who would love to do harm to you. This will keep you on alert and one step ahead. If you are the least bit suspicious, turn around, find another route.

8: You are a sitting duck at stop signs and red lights. I recommend you only stop when you have to.

Hope this helps. Godspeed!
Great advice with some humor. Thanks.
Old 06-21-13, 06:52 PM
Cameron a

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honest answer.... If I were you, I would personally go at an average comfortable speed. No offense but the more aggressive you are going. if you get "cloths lined" or something thrown at you. You probably won't escape and you will get hurt even more severely from the fall.

At this point I would do what I do. Have 2-3 bike lights on front and rear. As well as lights in the spokes and ride the streets. On the streets at night with lots of lights and high vis clothing your safer in traffic then sharing the curb with the drunk with a broken bottle around a corner.

now the other thing I would recommend would be this. https://www.cabelas.com/product/UDAP-...ter/741992.uts. I say if it can stop a bear. It can stop a human even better. Yes I know it is illegal. But it shoots from a very far distance. 30 feet!!! So if you see something coming you can slow down get ready and spray. Then take off in the opposite direction!!! It can attach to most back pack straps for easy access so you can get it ready while riding. Be careful though that if you spray it don't ride into the fog or your screwed!

I have seen dog sprays at my lbs. but if your that worried I'd opt for this.

and I know a helmet is a controversial subject round these parts sometimes. But if your worried about people throwing rocks or objects I would wear one as to shield my body from blows as I ride.

and the other option on lighting is get brights like a motorcycle or get one of those high beam flash lights just in case. Which can also be used as a baton

Last edited by Cameron a; 06-21-13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 06:55 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your serious, then follow Carlos Castenada's advice; avoid predictability. Different routes and different times. And different routes means that only your start and end points can be the same, you want to avoid repeatedly passing the same point, even if arriving from different direction/road. Such predictability can offer opportunities for ambush... The goal is to NEVER repeat routes/intersections...
Old 06-21-13, 06:58 PM
Cameron a

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to agree with post above mine a moving object is a difficult to kill object. Ride well but save energy for sprints.
Old 06-21-13, 07:05 PM
MichaelW

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you hit a clotheline at slow cycling or running pace, you will get a skin burn. If you ride as fast as possible you will probably sever your head which will detach from your body and really mess up your funeral unless you have a skilled mortition. There is not much you can do to protect yourself from ambush style attack once your head has been severed. Just make sure you wear a helmet.

On a lighter note, one style of ambush popular in the UK is the white paint from a bridge ambush (hey, I promised you a lighter one). The paint may be inside or outside the can at the point of impact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.