Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek FX 7.3 WSD vs. Fuji Absolute 1.4

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 01:50 PM
NerdyMomB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, people who are knowledgable about bikes. I own a few years old Schwinn Voyageur that I got after a back injury, and now I'm looking to replace it with something lighter, faster, that will still have an upright-ish position and let me enjoy the rails-to-trails that I frequently ride on. I am 5'5" and reasonably fit, and if I got the Fuji I'd probably swap put the tires for something better suited to the sometimes gravelly trails.

Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks!
Old 08-04-13, 10:02 PM
lilpoindexter

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Fuji Absolute 1.4 as a xmas 2012 present to myself...I'm going to hit 1000 miles on it tommorrow (i have a 1/2 day vacation ).
I have a 21" frame..it's the right size for my height, but my arms and legs are stubby and my torso longer than typical for someone 5' 11", so I swapped the stem for one a little shorter, and in the quick ride around my block, I think the bike is going to be a dream.
Previously I had a 1998ish Univega Viamontega with a steel frame and fork, and several years of abuse, i bought it off craigslist. The 1.4 has an aluminum frame with a carbon fork, it feels like it is "alive" compared to the old bike. I love it, I wouldn't have ridden it as much as I have if the bike sucked. The brakes and shifter all work fine, the tires are holding up well.
The position is quite a bit more road bike than I would have liked at first, but I got used to it. I use it around Los Angeles on the paved river beds. They just became last year's bikes at Performance Bike this weekend and were marked down to $550...I think they are a bargain compared to similarly priced TREK's and Specializeds...I was going to get a Trek 7.3, but the Fuji seemed like a better value. I conisdered the Fuji 1.3, but besides missing an extra ring on the crank, and better rims, i didn't think it was worth the extra $, and I really really love the beautiful red color.
I got into biking because I was trying to lose fat, and I was sick of the eliptical at the gym, and it worked...
The only downside is that these damn bikes are addictive. I have bought all kinds (all kinds...) of bike accessories (pump, gps, bike shorts, etc. etc. etc.) and now I'm thinking of getting a proper road bike.
Summary...I have been very happy with my Absolute 1.4, and I would recommend one to anyone.
Old 08-05-13, 02:26 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Liked 1,324 Times in 911 Posts
They seem to have very similar components, with a slight edge to the Fuji.
Deore vs Alivio RDER.
Both have that gawdawful 11-32 cassette, which can be changed to something more useful for most of us mere mortals relatively inexpensively.

Ride them both and pick the one that "talks" to you.
Old 08-05-13, 05:59 PM
dsnyrn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I also had a Schwinn Voyager and just purchased the Fuji Absolute 2.0. Switched out the tires for thicker ones. Picking it up Wednesday! Can't wait to ride!!!
Old 08-06-13, 08:45 AM
arny56

Bikes: Giant Escape RX1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Both have that gawdawful 11-32 cassette, which can be changed to something more useful for most of us mere mortals relatively inexpensively.
Just curious what you don't like about the 11-32 cogs?
Old 08-06-13, 09:17 AM
Jumpwings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife has the Trek 7.3 and loves it. It's light, fast and comfortable. We take daily 12-20 mile rides on the bike trails here in Ohio and she has no problems doing it. At 5'4" she was fit for the 15" frame. Don't know anything about the Fuji to make a comparison though.
Old 08-06-13, 09:34 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Liked 1,324 Times in 911 Posts
Originally Posted by arny56
Just curious what you don't like about the 11-32 cogs?
The 18 to 15T jump. Too much in that range.
11T cog simply isn't needed with a 48T chain ring. If you're spinning out on that, you need to work on your cadence or join a pro team. If you think you need it for downhill, you'd be better off saving yourself for the uphill part. You'll get there sooner.
Old 08-06-13, 11:19 AM
arny56

Bikes: Giant Escape RX1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Makes perfect sense, thanks!
Old 08-06-13, 01:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
Are both sold in your favorite Bike Shop? ... It's all parts .. they can be changed. After sale service matters More.