Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New Bike Ramblings - long...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 12:36 PM
cat

Bikes: 2012 Schwinn Slicker, 2011 Trek Sawyer, 2014 Kona Unit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is mostly to get my thoughts down on "paper", but would welcome any input...

My current commuter is a 2003 Specialized Allez that I've upgraded to 105 (or 105 level) components all around. I've managed to squeeze some 700x28 tires on there, but there is no extra clearance whatsoever. That being said, I'm happy with a road bike for my commute. I don't need fenders, because it rarely rains in the mornings (when it does, I just drive in) here in the desert and I don't particularly care if I get wet on the way home. I travel light (change of clothes and an iPad, maybe lunch) with a messenger bag, so a rack isn't a necessity, but may be a nice option.

My commute is a little more than 13 miles one-way (downhill and usually cool to work, uphill and usually hot on the way home). I usually ride in the mornings and take the bus within 5 miles of home in the evenings, so about 18 miles total per day, approximately 3 days/week. I also ride 10-15 miles for general fitness a couple additional times a week. I occasionally (like every few years) will do a century or similar ride. No group rides.

I've decided on a steel frame, because I like them My other bikes are a steel single speed MTB (KHS Solo One) and a steel Trek Sawyer 29er (set up for MTB, not road).

Requirements:
Steel (I could possibly be talked out of this, but not likely)
Drop bars
Reasonable tire size (28s or a little bigger might be nice)
Fenders are not necessary and would likely not be used
Rack would be a nice possibility, but not absolutely necessary
I'd like to keep the budget under $1000

My first thought was to build a Surly Pacer or a Soma Smoothie using the parts off of my current bike. It looks like about $400 for the Pacer frameset and most everything would swap over, except for brakes (I think).

I've gone to several bike shops over the past week or so and rode a few bikes, including several cross type bikes and I think I want to lean more towards the road spectrum than the cross spectrum.

One shop had a 2013 Kona *****tonk on clearance for $850 in a 53cm. My current road bike is a 54cm and the 53 felt a bit cramped when in the drops, but okay on the hoods. The LBS seemed to think a longer stem (it came with a 90mm stem) and a bar rotation would correct that as well as flipping the stem. I'm a bit worried about the Sora components, but since they eliminated the thumb shifter, I think I'll be okay with them. I'm planning on selling my current bike, so I could possibly move the 105 stuff over.

Finally, I spotted a Schwinn Slicker on the local CL for $250. It's a 1x9 and for my use, I think it would be fine and actually kinda cool. That being said, I think I've talked myself out of that one, because I'm worried at some point that I'll want a few more gears on my road bike.

Anyhow, those are my ramblings...I'm definitely leaning towards the *****tonk at this point and will see if they will set it up with a longer stem for another test ride on Friday (if they still have it).

Thoughts, if you have any...Thanks!
Old 09-04-13, 12:56 PM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I just rode along with someone on a Surly Pacer this morning. It's really nice looking-- I actually sped up to catch up to him so I could see what it was. The guy riding it appeared to have 28 tires in addition to fenders, so you could probably use even bigger tires than that. You might also want to consider the Cross Check instead though, just for the sake of flexibility. The frame set only weighs an extra 0.53 lbs, and as a trade-off you can fit bigger tires and attach fenders and racks. It's designed for V-brakes or cantilevers instead of calipers though.
Old 09-04-13, 01:12 PM
Yalc

Bikes: All City Macho Man Disc, Surly CrossCheck, Surly Steamroller, Voodoo Agwe, Trek FX 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All City Mr Pink?
https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/mr_pink

Last edited by Yalc; 09-04-13 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-04-13, 01:42 PM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Raleigh Clubman?
https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/stee...ng/clubman-13/
Old 09-04-13, 01:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7389 Post(s)
Liked 2,546 Times in 1,481 Posts
Have you considered something used or even vintage? You get a lot for your money that way, especially lighter weight.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-04-13, 01:49 PM
cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PennyTheDog
I just rode along with someone on a Surly Pacer this morning. It's really nice looking-- I actually sped up to catch up to him so I could see what it was. The guy riding it appeared to have 28 tires in addition to fenders, so you could probably use even bigger tires than that. You might also want to consider the Cross Check instead though, just for the sake of flexibility. The frame set only weighs an extra 0.53 lbs, and as a trade-off you can fit bigger tires and attach fenders and racks. It's designed for V-brakes or cantilevers instead of calipers though.
I test road a Volpe at one of the LBSs yesterday and they had a couple of Cross Checks as well (unfortunately, no Pacers)...I should have tried that one out as well. I'll head back out on Friday and see if I can take it for a spin.

Originally Posted by Yalc
The Mr. Pink looks awesome and gets great reviews! Unfortunately, It's probably out of my price range for just the frame. I didn't mention it above, but probably under $500 for frame only and under $1000 for complete bike.

Originally Posted by PennyTheDog
I saw some Raleighs at the shops, but none of the steel bikes were on the floor to try. I'll keep my eyes open.
Old 09-04-13, 01:52 PM
cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Have you considered something used or even vintage? You get a lot for your money that way, especially lighter weight.
I have been looking for used bikes on CL, but mostly only recent/modern bikes/frames. I'm not sure what to look for when it comes to vintage...
Old 09-04-13, 02:05 PM
Yalc

Bikes: All City Macho Man Disc, Surly CrossCheck, Surly Steamroller, Voodoo Agwe, Trek FX 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cat
The Mr. Pink looks awesome and gets great reviews! Unfortunately, It's probably out of my price range for just the frame. I didn't mention it above, but probably under $500 for frame only and under $1000 for complete bike.
ah I thought $1000 for all options, i think the frameset is like ~$700, everything would swap over but you'd need a bb30 crankset/bb
Old 09-04-13, 02:09 PM
cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yalc
ah I thought $1000 for all options, i think the frameset is like ~$700, everything would swap over but you'd need a bb30 crankset/bb
I was thinking about $1000 for a complete bike minus the $4-500 I could get for my old one. That being said, I may have to save up a bit longer for the Mr. Pink...it looks perfect for what I want...
Old 09-04-13, 02:24 PM
Yalc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cat
I was thinking about $1000 for a complete bike minus the $4-500 I could get for my old one. That being said, I may have to save up a bit longer for the Mr. Pink...it looks perfect for what I want...
the pacer should be getting an update this next year also, but its not as good as a package as the all city imo.
Old 09-04-13, 02:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by cat
I have been looking for used bikes on CL, but mostly only recent/modern bikes/frames. I'm not sure what to look for when it comes to vintage...
I'd say anything made of Reynolds 531 or Columbus tubing should be nice and light. A big popular choice is the Raleigh International, but don't set your heart on any particular model. In fact, I know a guy selling a 56cm International fairly cheap. I don't remember how much, but I could find out if you like. What size are you?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-04-13, 02:55 PM
cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say anything made of Reynolds 531 or Columbus tubing should be nice and light. A big popular choice is the Raleigh International, but don't set your heart on any particular model. In fact, I know a guy selling a 56cm International fairly cheap. I don't remember how much, but I could find out if you like. What size are you?
Typically, I ride a 54cm. I've gotten used to brifters...is it fairly easy to retrofit brifters to a vintage bike?
Old 09-04-13, 06:03 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On the phone, so skipping the link .. search for Motobecane Fantom CXX.
Old 09-04-13, 06:29 PM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Jamis Satellite Sport? MSRP is only $695.
https://www.myjamis.com/SSP%20Applica...odel=Satellite Sport&cat_grp=road_8
Old 09-04-13, 09:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by cat
Typically, I ride a 54cm. I've gotten used to brifters...is it fairly easy to retrofit brifters to a vintage bike?
Brifters attach to handlebars, not the frame, so yes. The cable stops that attach to the frame use the same type of fastener they did years ago.

Old 09-05-13, 03:01 PM
bent-not-broken
back in the saddle

Bikes: Raleigh Olympian, Trek 400, 500, 1500, 6700, Madone 6.9, Sekai 2400, Schwinn Passage, KOM, Super Letour, Nishiki Sport, Vision R45, Bike E, Volae Team

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1980's "sport" models are excellent values. Look for a Tange 2 level frame in addition to the above Reynolds and Columbus frames. Nishike, Fuji, Cenurian are some examples of japanese makers while Trek is an American mainstay.
Old 09-05-13, 03:24 PM
JAG410 

Bikes: A few ;)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The red Mr. Pink framesets are on Closeout, have your LBS check QBP. I just built one up for myself and I love it! You will need new brakes and bottom bracket/adapter or new PF30 crankset if swapping parts over.
Old 09-06-13, 09:14 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by bent-not-broken
1980's "sport" models are excellent values. Look for a Tange 2 level frame in addition to the above Reynolds and Columbus frames. Nishike, Fuji, Cenurian are some examples of japanese makers while Trek is an American mainstay.
If cat (the OP) is not familiar with these names, I'll spell them properly so he/she doesn't go through a frustrating search:

Nishiki
Fuji (you got that right)
Centurion

Not that you said anything wrong, but I'll add that Trek frames were made here for a while and then started to be made in other countries. I believe Trek is now the biggest bike company in the world, yet the standards are still pretty good.

Old 09-06-13, 10:57 AM
cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If cat (the OP) is not familiar with these names, I'll spell them properly so he/she doesn't go through a frustrating search:

Nishiki
Fuji (you got that right)
Centurion

Not that you said anything wrong, but I'll add that Trek frames were made here for a while and then started to be made in other countries. I believe Trek is now the biggest bike company in the world, yet the standards are still pretty good.
I used to have a Centurion Ironman back in the mid-late 80s

I still haven't decided what to do now...if anything...
Old 09-06-13, 11:06 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Have you looked at any bikes in the flesh yet? That will help you decide. Visit a bike shop or two. Or go look at the bikes available on craigslist. Or do both.

Old 09-06-13, 11:28 AM
cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tested 7 or 8 bikes at several LBSs. The only one that I really like so far is the Kona ***** Tonk (on clearance). I haven't tried any CL bikes yet, but I may go do that at lunch. It'll probably be the end of the month before I'm ready to pull the trigger, so I don't want to scour CL too much yet.
Old 09-07-13, 10:11 PM
cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any thoughts on this CL bike?

https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/4052842665.html
Old 09-07-13, 11:51 PM
BaggerRyder

Bikes: Gary Fisher Sugar 4+, Kona Rove

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you've ridden 8 bikes at your LBS and the Kona is the one you feel the most comfortable on, and if they changed out the stem for something a little longer, then that's your bike. I sometimes think that the Internet gives us way too many options.
Old 09-11-13, 05:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by cat
The seller is including an extra rear wheel, a 26" wheel, which won't fit the bike. What's up with that? The bike appears to be in good condition, but is hard to say with just one bad picture.

Maybe you're best off with a new bike. I looked up the Kona you mention. It looks very nice.

Old 09-13-13, 04:29 PM
cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update - Went back to the LBS and rode the Kona *****Tonk again with a longer stem, set just a bit lower. Yep, that's the one and I think I have a buyer in line for my old bike. If I pull the trigger, I'll post up some pics. Thanks for the input everyone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.