Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Favored Tires for Recumbent

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 01:47 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Are there any good tires in the 26x1.25 size.

I read that Kenda Kwest's have weak sidewalls, and Primo Racers get flats easily.

I have the Kenda's right now on my Giro 20. And indeed, the steel cords started to fray, bits of tread fell off and the tire got real squirrely, but I made it home.

The Primo Racers looked very thin even from the photographs. The review I found on it said that it was easy to flat. Changing flats on the Giro 20 is enough of a pain that it's something I want to avoid.

What has your experience been? Are there better choices?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-10-13, 02:19 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Bontrager ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

https://bontrager.com/model/09094
Old 09-10-13, 07:12 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 350 Times in 228 Posts
Have been using Forte Metro K from Performance on my V3 for a couple of years. K for kevlar belted. 340 grams. The price is right, especially since we have a Performance store nearby.
$15.99 currently.

Last edited by JanMM; 09-10-13 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 08:01 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 755 Times in 463 Posts
I've run Primo Racers for years and NEVER gotten a flat in one. Other tires, yes, but not the Racers. OTOH, I don't ride on shoulders and I stay out of visible junk on the road. They are definitely racing tires, and have a better rolling resistance number than almost any other racing tire south of $70. The tread is thin, but the rubber compound is fairly hard and long-wearing. I get 3000-4000 miles per, on the rear of my Baron.

Because of the compound, Primos are so-so in hard corners or rain. That's the price for long wear.
Old 09-11-13, 01:24 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well, the store I'm ordering tires through is the Bontrager dealer in the area, and they didn't have any Bontrager tires. Performance doesn't even sell in my state. It looks like the wisest thing is to just stick to the Kenda's as the bike was originally equipped. Thatnks for all the feedback.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-11-13, 03:28 PM
iambent

Bikes: RANS Stratus 700, Bacchetta Corsa, HPV Gekko FX 20, Rover Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at the Specialized 26 x 1.25 Fatboy tire. I used to run these on my MTB for street riding. They roll good and are very durable. You can purchase from a Specialized dealer or order off the Specialized website. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb...e-tires/fatboy
Old 09-11-13, 04:14 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Well, the store I'm ordering tires through is the Bontrager dealer in the area, and they didn't have any Bontrager tires. Performance doesn't even sell in my state. It looks like the wisest thing is to just stick to the Kenda's as the bike was originally equipped. Thatnks for all the feedback.
My LBS has a PC sitting on his desk,

He can order almost anything,, Do you have a bike shop close by ?

It takes little effort for a BS to set up an account and get better pricing.....
Old 09-12-13, 06:32 AM
iamtheeggman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have pretty good luck with Continental SportContacts. Been using them for years. They come in a nominal 26X1.3, I believe. You can find relatively decent prices for them on Amazon.
Old 09-22-13, 01:12 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 755 Times in 463 Posts
Originally Posted by iamtheeggman
I have pretty good luck with Continental SportContacts. Been using them for years. They come in a nominal 26X1.3, I believe. You can find relatively decent prices for them on Amazon.
They may be okay in the 26" size, but I'm a perfect 6-for-6 in the 20x1 1/8" size. All six bought in a batch because I believed their no-flat guarantee meant they (Conti) had faith in the design, and all six were premature failures. In fact, all but one were sidewall splits leading to front wheel blowouts.

BTW, I doubt Conti ever paid up on a single failure, because they specified that the user had to be using a Conti tube at the time of failure, and both had to be mailed to Conti for verification.
Old 09-22-13, 02:03 PM
mchell

Bikes: Rans Screamer, Catrike Expedition, Specialized Montain Bike, Cannondale Quick SL1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a lot of faith in Schwalbe products. We're using Marathon Plus on both ends of our recumbent tandem; never had a flat. The bike came with Primo Comets, but the sidewalls just couldn't take it and we had many flats. (We're now on our third set of Marathon Plus after 25,000 km.) On my Catrike Expedition, I'm running Kojaks on the front and a Durano on the rear. No issues whatsoever. I flip the front tires left to right every season as the right tire "scrubs" more than the left. 3,000 km so far and the wear looks normal to me.
Mike
Old 09-22-13, 04:55 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Might look into the Specialized Nimbus.
Old 09-22-13, 06:05 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
My LBS has a PC sitting on his desk,

He can order almost anything,, Do you have a bike shop close by ?

It takes little effort for a BS to set up an account and get better pricing.....
Yes, I have two LBSs within a mile. They are fully computerized. I'm sure they have accounts open with the bicycle wholesalers.

Old 09-22-13, 06:24 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Liked 2,322 Times in 1,220 Posts
My V-rex came with Comets. Over the years, I've tried various tires and always come back to Comets. Light, smooth, fast, comfortable. I've heard they are flat prone but that has not been my experience. Loaded touring, club rides, three seasons of randonneuring including PBP. No complaints. Obviously that's only one cyclists experience, but what I have to offer.
Old 09-23-13, 07:23 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Liked 1,057 Times in 636 Posts
The Comets that came on my RANS give great service, and I have seen no reason to stop using them. I have used them on my Stratus for over 12,000 miles. YMMV