Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Soma New Xpress vs. Panaracer Pasela: Showdown of the 27"-ers

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 02:01 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Liked 2,699 Times in 652 Posts

As has often been said, there's a dearth of 27" tire options, and almost nothing in terms of high-end 27" tire options. Panaracer Paselas seem to be the go-to option for most C&Vers looking for a classic-style tire with tan sidewalls. Soma is now selling a New Xpress tire in 27" size that is very similar to the Paselas. In fact, it is also made by Panaracer and has the same tread as the Pasela. However, the Soma New Xpress is roughly twice the cost of the Panaracer Pasela.

I wrote to Soma to ask what sets their New Xpress tires apart from the Pasela, and here's the reply:

Originally Posted by Soma Fabrications
There are a few differences between the New Xpress and the standard Pasela. Firstly the New Xpress uses a folding Kevlar bead as apposed to steel. Secondly, the New Xpress tires have a layer of hypertex puncture resistant material in the casing. The tread used is the same as the Pasela, but they are stronger than the standard Pasela tires and lighter and more supple than the Tourguard version. It looks like the 27" tires are not currently available through our webstore, but we should be able to correct that shortly. In the mean time your local bike shop should be able to order them. The 27" tires are steel bead, as most 27" rims will not work with a folding bead tire.
[Note: The Soma website is a little bit screwy right now. The FAQ page for the Soma New Xpress line (https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/new-express) does not list any info for 27" tires size. However, when you click 27" from the main tire page (https://www.somafab.com/parts/tires), New Xpress is is listed as available in 27". Apparently they are working to correct this.]

FWIW, I know there are a few other budget options, such as CST and Kenda (heavy; ugly rubberized sidewall). Michelin also has the World Tour option (slightly heavy, has a reflective band which may or may not be a plus). Vittoria Rubino's and Continental Super Sports are a couple other options; Look like decent options, but these are not available with tan sidewalls.

I'm open to hearing about other 27" options, but also curious if anyone has experience with both Paselas and New Xpress tires. I would willing to spend more money on a better tire, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement the New Xpress tire is over the Paselas. Input?

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 11-06-13, 03:05 PM
that_guy_zach

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They are just gonna be lighter, more supple Panaracers. Just as there is a difference in ride from the tour guard and non I bet the same difference will be there on these.
Old 11-06-13, 04:31 PM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Liked 97 Times in 60 Posts
The price / quality balance of Paselas satisfy my need, no reason to look further.

I have not had a puncture in 3 years so I don't see the need to purchase a more expensive version that is lighter and stronger when I'm ready for new tires.
Old 11-06-13, 05:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 3,050 Times in 1,724 Posts
Thank you for the news, gaucho. I'm sure some of us will find it useful. Paselas work great on my Raleigh Super Course. They even sound​ good.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-06-13, 06:33 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Liked 257 Times in 166 Posts
Forgive my confusion; In Soma's response they first state that the difference between the Xpress and the Pasela is the folding Kevlar bead as apposed (sic) to steel. At the bottom they restate that the 27" tires have a steel bead because most older rims won't work with the (Kevlar) folding bead. They could have just stated that for 27" versions the only difference is the Hypertex puncture protection.
Old 11-06-13, 06:52 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
Forgive my confusion; In Soma's response they first state that the difference between the Xpress and the Pasela is the folding Kevlar bead as apposed (sic) to steel. At the bottom they restate that the 27" tires have a steel bead because most older rims won't work with the (Kevlar) folding bead. They could have just stated that for 27" versions the only difference is the Hypertex puncture protection.
We can't be sure if Gaucho asked about the 27" size specifically, or (as seems likely) he just asked how the New (e)Xpress differed from the Pasela.

At any rate, I only partway understand the C&V preoccupation with gumwall/tanwall tires... but I had good results with Vittoria Zaffiros and Rubino Techs back in my 27" days. Seems a shame to exclude a good tire due to purely aesthetic reasons.

It seems that this thread is focusing on (relatively) lightweight "training" tires; there are some decent tour/commuter options out there, albeit at a higher weight...
Old 11-07-13, 12:37 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Liked 2,699 Times in 652 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson308
+1

Originally Posted by surreal
We can't be sure if Gaucho asked about the 27" size specifically, or (as seems likely) he just asked how the New (e)Xpress differed from the Pasela.
I did ask specifically about 27" tires. I said I was only interested in the 27" tire option, and asked what sets the New Xpress apart from the Pasela.

Originally Posted by surreal
At any rate, I only partway understand the C&V preoccupation with gumwall/tanwall tires... but I had good results with Vittoria Zaffiros and Rubino Techs back in my 27" days. Seems a shame to exclude a good tire due to purely aesthetic reasons.

It seems that this thread is focusing on (relatively) lightweight "training" tires; there are some decent tour/commuter options out there, albeit at a higher weight...
Right. I want a training/performance tire in 27"--something for longer weekend rides, not just puncture-resistant commuting, preferably with tan sidewalls. Is it wrong to want it all?
Old 11-07-13, 12:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I don't know why I prefer skinwall (tan) tires, but I do. It's not very practical. My Paselas look like heck after they get dirty, and I can't find a way to clean them effectively. I've tried everything. Blackwall tires make more sense, but I just don't like the way they look.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-07-13, 01:09 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Has anyone tried the Nashbar brand 27"? The have what looks to be a lighter 1 1/8" version that is blackwall.
Old 11-07-13, 01:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Has anyone tried the Nashbar brand 27"? The have what looks to be a lighter 1 1/8" version that is blackwall.
Some are OK. The trouble is, you don't always know what you're getting. Some are Cheng Shin (aka CST), of which I am not a fan. Most of them are safe, and some of them ride OK. I'd install CST tires on a flip bike with no guilt, but if I'm paying for tires I ride, I prefer better tires.

For all I know, some Nashbar tires are made by other makers.

Old 11-07-13, 01:23 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Some are OK. The trouble is, you don't always know what you're getting. Some are Cheng Shin (aka CST), of which I am not a fan. Most of them are safe, and some of them ride OK. I'd install CST tires on a flip bike with no guilt, but if I'm paying for tires I ride, I prefer better tires.

For all I know, some Nashbar tires are made by other makers.
I'm needing a fresh set for my Centurion. Looks like I'll be the forum lab rat.
Old 11-07-13, 01:49 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Liked 1,392 Times in 926 Posts
I like Cheng Shins, whether it's their 1-1/4" gumwall (that I use for road/trail riding, and measuring only 29mm) or their lighter C-732 with subtle center rib and much thinner sidewall rubber.

The Michelin World-Tour is huge and has tread, both great for off-roading at 50psi or so, but the tread wears fairly quick and is more subject to cracking from environmental exposure.

Paselas also run very large compared to other brands and have a widely-wrap-around tread cap that takes on dirt, but the short sidewalls are somewhat vulnerable to both ageing and abrasion I've found.

I avoid anything made by Duro as being not reliable and overly heavy.

Vitt Zaffiros seem perhaps the most sensible choice as an all-around road tire, luckily still produced in a 1-1/8" size that measures about 26mm on a 22mm (outside width) rim. These wear well, handle well and still inexpensive, but no longer available in any color but black with bold graphics.

Many tires from Specialized, Nashbar/Performance and others are made by Cheng Shin, since these brands know them as a reliable and econimical source of tires. Occasionally I do see a defective OEM tire that these brands source from Cheng, but I've had somewhat better luck myself with the Cheng-labeled ones.

Has anyone here tried the "Bell" brand 1-1/4" tires with a steel folding bead, such as sold in dept stores? They seem heavy, how do they ride?

Oh, and Cheng also still makes a 27X 1-3/8" road-tread tire, in blackwall at least, that is very inexpensive and pretty wide at about 32mm on a wide-style rim.

Lastly, a tan sidewall seems to make it easier to visually confirm a semi-flattened tire while riding, as it contrasts better against the roadway in most conditions. Grant pointed this out and I concur.
Old 11-07-13, 01:57 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Liked 100 Times in 50 Posts
My son swears by his CST's, happy with the rolling resistance (or lack there of) and tread life
Old 11-07-13, 02:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I don't mean to trash CST's entirely. I've ridden long ways on them, so their tread wear is excellent. I've had one or two defective ones which were difficult to seat well. I've had one or two burst on me. My sample size isn't huge, so I can't say they have a high defect rate. I've just decided not to use them any more. I say if you like them, you're not crazy, especially with some prices you can get. Sometimes you can get one for under $10, which is pretty amazing.

Old 11-07-13, 02:17 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Has anyone here tried the "Bell" brand 1-1/4" tires with a steel folding bead, such as sold in dept stores? They seem heavy, how do they ride?
Tried, yes, ridden, no. During my recent peregrinations, I was building up the next thing to a bomb-proof wheel somewhere north of BFE, and resorted to purchasing a Bell tire at the nearest Walmart outpost in order to complete the wheel. Unfortunately, technical difficulties, then further peregrinations intervened, hence so far I have not get an opportunity to try it out.
Based strictly on appearance however, it seems to be reasonably rugged with regard to flat resistance, with an intermediate tread that is slighly more aggressive than the Pasela or Zaffiro. Though my insensitive butt will likely not pick up the difference, I suspect the aficionados among us will find it less lively than, for instance, the vaunted Pasela.
Old 11-07-13, 02:48 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Liked 644 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
My son swears by his CST's, happy with the rolling resistance (or lack there of) and tread life
I've had mixed results with CSTs. The solid color ones I have in 700c x 28 seem to be indestructible (if a bit too heavy) and the more vintage looking gumwall 27 x 1.25 ones wore out pretty fast and were prone to flatting. I thought the ride quality was pretty good while they lasted, however.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 11-07-13, 05:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I looked at the Bell Tires at Walmart or wherever. I realized I'm not strong enough to carry such a heavy tire, let alone ride it.

Old 11-07-13, 05:36 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Liked 124 Times in 51 Posts
I use the Soma Xpress on my city bike and like them a lot. The biggest difference is the reinforced sidewall to help prevent pinch flats. I can't really compare the ride quality, the Soma is a 650b tire and Panaracer doesn't make that size in their own line.

Marc
Old 11-07-13, 06:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,684 Times in 2,080 Posts
I don't know why I prefer skinwall (tan) tires, but I do. It's not very practical. My Paselas look like heck after they get dirty, and I can't find a way to clean them effectively. I've tried everything. Blackwall tires make more sense, but I just don't like the way they look.
Blackwall tires remind me too much of the nasty, heavy, cheap department store tires when I was young. I know today's high-end blackwalls are every bit as good as skinwalls, so I'm trying to get over it.
Old 11-07-13, 06:25 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Liked 257 Times in 166 Posts
I've had pretty decent luck with Westley's Bleche White and a stiff plastic-bristled brush on gumwalls. Spray it on, scrub it a bit and hose it off. I always take the wheel off the bike when doing this, however. Much easier access, and I don't have to worry about what the cleaner will do to the paint or graphics.
Old 11-07-13, 06:51 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
+1

I did ask specifically about 27" tires. I said I was only interested in the 27" tire option, and asked what sets the New Xpress apart from the Pasela.
... I want a training/performance tire in 27"--something for longer weekend rides, not just puncture-resistant commuting, preferably with tan sidewalls. Is it wrong to want it all?
Weird, then. I was trying to give the Merry Sales guys the benefit of the doubt. Listing something as a benefit, and then excluding that benefit in the same paragraph. Weird.

Is it wrong to want it all? No, not really. But, I'd argue that you already have it all in the Pasela, if you are light enough to keep from killing the sidewalls. (I'm not.)

The Vittorias held up well, rode nicely, and and had a nice balance between feel on the road and tread wear/puncture resistance. I wish they would do themselves a favor and make some gumwalls.

I think, if I ever ended up on 27"s again, I'd look at Schwalbe Marathons or HS-159s (available in both white- and gum-wall. But, heavy tires for a heavy guy who prefers heavy bikes.....)

Last edited by surreal; 11-07-13 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-07-13, 06:52 PM
cyclotoine

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I always stocked these in the shop as a nice thinner and lighter version that claims to have some puncture resistance. Never road them but they mounted up nice.

https://shop.serfas.com/p/seca-tire-w-fps-27-x-1-25
Old 11-07-13, 06:55 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I use the Soma Xpress on my city bike and like them a lot. The biggest difference is the reinforced sidewall to help prevent pinch flats. I can't really compare the ride quality, the Soma is a 650b tire and Panaracer doesn't make that size in their own line.

Marc
Nope.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...FYqi4AodgykAZw

They make the same tire in the famed 650a aka 26x1 3/8" aka EA3 aka 590 size; I'm thinking I'll give those a go if my Delta Cruisers ever die. Oh, and of course, Panaracer makes some 650b MTB tires, as well as some 650b road offerings for other makers, like the aforementioned Soma (e)Xpress and the Pacenti Pari-Moto....

Last edited by surreal; 11-07-13 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Link broken; fixed now
Old 11-07-13, 06:59 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Granted, they look cooler on most bikes (some color schemes are an exception, IMHO). But, if it came down to a really nice tire in blackwall and an inferior tire that was available in gumwall (or tanwall--- not too much still available in true skinwall, afaict), I'd pick the nice blackwall, every time. I'm a function-over-form type of guy, I reckon.
Old 11-07-13, 07:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I'm trying to get over it, too, John. We are of like minds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.