Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Prodeco Owners - Question about tight dropouts

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 02:55 PM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Bikes: 06 Specialized Allez Sport, '10 Trek Fuel EX 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a new Prodeco Phantom X2 with a Phantom O frame from a dealer (pretty much identical) and the rear dropouts are not aligned with the wheel's bolt. In fact, it's nearly an inch too inwards, making it extremely difficult to reinstall the wheel especially with the disc brake rotor. Can any Prodeco owners verify this is the same for them?

Prodeco themselves confirmed they are tight but I simply cannot believe this must be the case. Their manual and Youtube videos even say the rear wheel slides right off like a normal bike. I brought it to the dealer to reinstall the wheel and it too 2 of their guys around half an hour to put back on with a rubber hammer to boot. It took me 2 hours figuring out a way to put it on myself in my garage by taking off the disc brake (so the rotor doesn't need to be lined up), derailleur, and chain, and then sitting down and prying the dropouts with my bare foot (through the wheel and spokes and pulling with both arms.

I really want to keep it as I don't know of any other sub $1k-$2k ebike with a 500w motor and 12amp/hr battery like this has. I get very worried while riding that I get a flat and have to replace the inner tube.
Old 11-19-13, 07:47 PM
AdrianFly
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rolliepollie
I bought a new Prodeco Phantom X2 with a Phantom O frame from a dealer (pretty much identical) and the rear dropouts are not aligned with the wheel's bolt. In fact, it's nearly an inch too inwards, making it extremely difficult to reinstall the wheel especially with the disc brake rotor. Can any Prodeco owners verify this is the same for them?

Prodeco themselves confirmed they are tight but I simply cannot believe this must be the case. Their manual and Youtube videos even say the rear wheel slides right off like a normal bike. I brought it to the dealer to reinstall the wheel and it too 2 of their guys around half an hour to put back on with a rubber hammer to boot. It took me 2 hours figuring out a way to put it on myself in my garage by taking off the disc brake (so the rotor doesn't need to be lined up), derailleur, and chain, and then sitting down and prying the dropouts with my bare foot (through the wheel and spokes and pulling with both arms.

I really want to keep it as I don't know of any other sub $1k-$2k ebike with a 500w motor and 12amp/hr battery like this has. I get very worried while riding that I get a flat and have to replace the inner tube.

Hi Rollie! Outlaw SS Owner here!

I've beat this bike pretty hard since I got it and bent the back wheel in the process. I removed it for trueing and upon an attempt to slide it back into place within the dropouts found myself restricted. It was a challenge to get it back in place correctly.

If it's true that this is done by design then it must be safety related for increased stability so the wheel doesn't come loose from torque related issues. Just a guess.

Last edited by AdrianFly; 11-20-13 at 09:44 PM. Reason: removed beer induced babble.. edited to the point this time.
Old 11-19-13, 07:57 PM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Adrian. You didn't need to pry the dropouts open? My issue wasn't the disc brake or rotor, but the dropouts not aligning with the wheel's hub. As you can imagine, prying it with my foot and both arms makes aligning difficult even with the brake and derailleur off. Prodeco actually contacted my dealer and myself to confirm it's "by design" so I'm totally baffled why this is so. I'm in the process of deciding whether to ask for a refund or get a smaller foldable ebike.
Old 11-20-13, 07:50 PM
chvid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Note: Often you can patch a tube in situ, without removing the wheel. Often necessary or preferred with internal hubs as well. Just open'er up, find the leak. You can still rotate the tire with all of its guts hanging out, carefully.
Old 11-20-13, 09:16 PM
AdrianFly
Twilight Requiem

Bikes: TrekFX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking back to last March when I was wrestling with the wheel, I do believe I had to pry the dropouts open to get it to slide in.

This reminded me of my PX10 when I switched from Tubies to Clinchers with Mavic Rims/Campy hubs+wider axle.

Check with Scaliboy if you ditch the Prodeco and get the refund. He owns a company that imports Mipower Ebikes but I'm not sure if he offers a folding version yet.
Old 11-20-13, 09:57 PM
Scaliboy62

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdrianFly
Thinking back to last March when I was wrestling with the wheel, I do believe I had to pry the dropouts open to get it to slide in.

This reminded me of my PX10 when I switched from Tubies to Clinchers with Mavic Rims/Campy hubs+wider axle.

Check with Scaliboy if you ditch the Prodeco and get the refund. He owns a company that imports Mipower Ebikes but I'm not sure if he offers a folding version yet.
I have my own business but no connection to MiPower just a fan of these bikes, I did considered selling them as well as the TDCM kits which are the " UM " Ultra Motors on these bikes & others, I contacted them & they wanted to maybe do business with me but i never followed through as my father had a stroke & I moved to take care of him. There's a good idea for someone
I did ditch my Prodeco after a month true. They have upgraded many components i see, BB7 brakes now on the latest Phantom model, better back racks etc.. I wish them well it seems they listen to the consumer & really try to improve the product. I dont remember having a hard time replacing the R. wheel on my Storm 500 it just dropped right in & came right off, different brakes though & the folding frame so maybe slightly different drop outs then the Outlaw.
This company seems to put bikes into production before all the bugs are ironed out, my Storm's seat springs hit the battery when post was lowered then they changed seats, maybe they'll remedy this issue too for future bikes..
Old 11-21-13, 04:22 AM
rolliepollie
Flying Pig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided to keep the Prodeco. I wasn't elligible for a refund, but was given the choice to at least exchange it for another bike. Didn't really care for the others and asked to see if a Volton bike had tight dropouts as well. The wheel slid off after a few nudges, but getting it back on was a chore as well due to aligning the hub into the dropouts just right. He used a rubber mallet and it still wouldn't go back all the way in. Maybe it was just the paint but I didn't want to push the issue anymore. I still liked the Prodeco for the quality of components (near everything is name-brand) for the current model, plus like chvid said and I was told, I can patch the tube without removing the wheel. I'm just worried I happened to be unable to fix or find the leak, but then again bringing it to a bike store and paying for a fix in those (hopefully) rare occasions wouldn't be too bad I suppose.

Interesting tidbit when I asked how their sales of ebikes were doing, and he replied they sold about 1 or 2 Currie IZips, Stromers.... and over 30 Prodecos. The guy from Prodeco I talked to about the issue also said nobody has called about the tight dropouts being an issue and I was the first. So, I think it's worth a shot and at $1500 it's still a hell of a bargain compared to similar ebikes.