Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

WTF- I can't use Stans with Vittoria's new intergrated valve on their stem.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-13, 05:20 PM
Todd Richards
GranitCurbVia53x11Sprint

Bikes: Cervelo R2.5 Campy Record 10, Dean Ti 'Cross, Merlin Agilis (road), Litespeed Obed (mb), Basso (ss/fixie)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a new pair of Vittoria 700c and they come with the new proprietory stem- the red one. It has an intergrated core that is NON removable.

So I can't use them 'cause i want to bring Stans sealant for a flat repair and there is no way to remove the valve core.

Does somebody make a stem extender that is 'female' on BOTH ends so i can thred one end into the base of the Vittoria tire and thread a core intot he other end?

If you've not seen it; the new Vittoria stem is red, and the entire stem unthreads from the base of the tire. vittoria sells various lengths so you can use longer stems with deeper dish rims. The issue is the reversal of the format that the stem usually has. Usually the valve can be removed so an extender (with a 'male' end) threads into the exhisting tire's stem (after you remove the core) which is the female ind. This extends the stem, allowing you to put a core intot he new longer end of the stem, and also allows you to unthread this core if on the road so you can dump in tire sealant to close a puncture.
Old 11-19-13, 09:58 PM
tomacropod
ot.net slave

Bikes: Salsa mtb * 3, Intense mtb * 1, Abeni SS rd * 1, Salsa road/touring * 2, Trek Damn one * 1, Vintage/projects * many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remove the valve and inject the sealant?
Old 11-19-13, 11:40 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomacropod
Remove the valve and inject the sealant?
From what I read this is right; the core is not removable but the valve is. Check out this link; there are some good photos..https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...lve-20603.html
Old 11-20-13, 05:12 AM
Todd Richards
GranitCurbVia53x11Sprint

Bikes: Cervelo R2.5 Campy Record 10, Dean Ti 'Cross, Merlin Agilis (road), Litespeed Obed (mb), Basso (ss/fixie)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
um.... removing the valve after a flat on the road would require removing the tire from the rim, so no, this does not help. i don't want to put the sealant into the tire now, i want to do so only after a flat when riding.
Old 11-20-13, 07:49 AM
dsaul

Liked 808 Times in 480 Posts
Vittoria has a product called Pit Stop that injects sealant and inflates the tire without removing the core.
Old 11-20-13, 05:07 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Todd Richards
um.... removing the valve after a flat on the road would require removing the tire from the rim, so no, this does not help. i don't want to put the sealant into the tire now, i want to do so only after a flat when riding.
Why would you not want to put the sealer in prophylactically? One of the main reasons to use a sealer is to prevent flats..However if you insist the the Pit Stop sounds like the ticket; of course you will have to carry around can of propane so I wouldn't smoke around the tires if the have been filled with the stuff..
Vittoria Pit Stop adds only 18 grams of expandable latex to the tire, the Pit Stop instantly inflates a narrow tire to 90 psi while filling leaks (other than cuts). This is not just a temporary fix; in fact it can be used to pretreat your tires prior to a race. However it is worth noting that the gas in the cylinder is propane and you'll have to pump up your tires race morning.

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 11-20-13 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-24-13, 10:03 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To solve this issue on my tubulars, I bought a pair of continental valve extenders. I take off the vittoria red valves and replace them with the extenders without a core. Put the Stan's stuff in it with the valve to the top, replace it with the red valve, put some air on the tire, and roll it around some to evenly spread it. Then, mount the tire. If you try to do this with the tire mounted already you are begging for suffering and misery!!!!