Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Underlying differences between Specialized Toupe and Romin saddles?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 06:49 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

I am impressed by the wide range of widths available across the Specialized saddle line and different weights available at different price points for the same models. Can anyone explain to me the fundamental differences between the Toupe and Romin models? They seem to both be available at similar price points for similar weights. They also appear to be offered with the same range of widths, more or less. Both feature cutouts. So what is different between them, or IOW what is the difference in intent for the two model types. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-13, 06:55 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Owned and ridden both. Biggest diff is shape which of course is the biggest diff between all saddles. Most after cycling for many years know what they like....a flatish saddle aka Toupe...front to back and side to side versus a curvy saddle like the Romin which kicks up in back down in the middle and back up at the nose...and side to side convex down....a distinct contrast to the Toupe. That said, I can ride both and believe many could if they get the right width to support the sit bones which is the most important parameter of any saddle I believe.
The Toupe is my favorite saddle. Specialized as with their bikes is forever tweaking their saddles. I would like to try the new Toupe Expert for 2014 or new Toupe Pro which has carbon rails. Specialized finally did away with the goofy front and back pieces on the Toupe to make the saddle even more minimalist.
HTH
Old 12-14-13, 07:48 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
^^^ Thanks. That is what I was looking for. I agree completely with you about the importance of width. Hence my approval of each model being offered in a range of widths. And interestingly the emphasis is not on the narrower widths like 127 mm as in so many other brands. 143 mm and wider are very strongly represented. This is a very sensible way to construct a line of saddles.
Old 12-14-13, 09:14 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
^^^ Thanks. That is what I was looking for. I agree completely with you about the importance of width. Hence my approval of each model being offered in a range of widths. And interestingly the emphasis is not on the narrower widths like 127 mm as in so many other brands. 143 mm and wider are very strongly represented. This is a very sensible way to construct a line of saddles.
If you think about it...width and shape are most important. But shell flex that Specialized seems to get right matters a lot...and so does the center cutout for perineal relief.
Many complained about the nose width on the early Romin and Specialized changed the nose of the Romin a short time back because of rider feedback.
Old 12-14-13, 09:54 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried both, and for me, me only mind you, the Romin works great. The Toupe is flat, too flat for me.
Old 12-14-13, 12:53 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
To the Romin 155: I appreciate the fact that you exist. A lot.
Old 12-14-13, 02:43 PM
IANative

Bikes: Orbea Orca Rival, Specialized Roubaix SL2 Rival, Specialized CrossTrail Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do each of those two (Romin and Toupe) compare to/contrast with the Avatar? I have the Avatar Comp Gel on my Roubaix, and it's much more comfortable than the factory Orbea saddle on my Orca. I want to put a new Spesh saddle on my Orca (to go w/ those new Fulcrums, campag4life).
Old 12-14-13, 04:47 PM
GFish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The contour of the Romin and Avatar appear similar, what separates the two is padding with the Avatar having more. There maybe be other differences, but the padding seems to be the most obvious.

I have two Avatar's and two Toupe's, both in 143 and 155. I like them both. Some days the Avatar feels perfect and other days I really like the Toupe with the flatter profile. Still undecided as to the width, perhaps it doesn't matter so much with my body shape.

Old 12-14-13, 04:58 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode both Toupe and Romin extensively over a period of about two years. Medium width (143). Toupe worked much better for me, the rear upwards curvature at the back of the Romin never led to comfort on long rides since it seemed to limit the range where I could adjust my azz around. I no longer use either.
Old 12-14-13, 06:41 PM
Thirstyman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden both. I find that the upward tail and side to side curve of the romin keep me planted in the saddle and thereby let me transfer more power to the pedals.

Last edited by Thirstyman; 12-16-13 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-14-13, 07:42 PM
tony2v

Bikes: 1975 Albert Eisentraut, 1992 Bill Davidson, 2006 Moots Compact, 2007 KHS Solo-One, 2010 Van Dessel Drag Strip Courage, 2013 Alchemy Xanthus, 2016 Breadwinner Lolo, 2018 Moots VaMoots RSL, 2019 Chapter2 Tere Disc, 2020 Chapter2 Ao Limited Edition

Liked 32 Times in 16 Posts
I have both the Toupe and Romin. I use the Toupe on my track bike because of it's flatness it's easier to slide forward onto the rivet during hard efforts. Both are 143 wide. Also I've broken three Romin saddles (across the cut-out every time) and Specialized gives me another one for free.
Old 12-15-13, 09:11 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 671 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
If you think about it...width and shape are most important. But shell flex that Specialized seems to get right matters a lot...and so does the center cutout for perineal relief.
Many complained about the nose width on the early Romin and Specialized changed the nose of the Romin a short time back because of rider feedback.
I've always liked the inner thigh clearance of the Toupe 143 (my width) and the 130 (my sit bones only fit this one in the most aggressive position).

I have a modern Toupe Gel, and it doesn't have "upholstery" all the way out to the nose tip. To adjust setback would I measure (as I did for my older Toupe and Alias) from the BB plumb line to the front of the saddle? Or, should I work out how to measure from the BB plumb line to the sit bone contact center if I can find that point?
Old 12-16-13, 08:31 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I've always liked the inner thigh clearance of the Toupe 143 (my width) and the 130 (my sit bones only fit this one in the most aggressive position).

I have a modern Toupe Gel, and it doesn't have "upholstery" all the way out to the nose tip. To adjust setback would I measure (as I did for my older Toupe and Alias) from the BB plumb line to the front of the saddle? Or, should I work out how to measure from the BB plumb line to the sit bone contact center if I can find that point?
I think convention wisdom suggests the latter....for parity....sit bone touchdown to BB center to reproduce the same fit. That said, toupe lengths are close enough for horseshoes and nose to BB should be good enough. The other thing is, there is nothing really sacred about setback in the absolute. I have ridden with a wide variation of setback. For example I am riding a bit less these days and enjoying the freer pelvis rotation of riding a bit more in a forward position. I am still nowhere as forward as Carpedracing for example...but much less than I was riding.
The fact that you understand the relation between saddle width and how aggressive your position is says that you get this stuff. Many don't.
Cheers.