Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Elephant in the Room - Cycling & Relationships

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 09:50 PM
SGcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thought it would be quite funny to write about this today on my blog - after all I struggle sometimes to think of an excuse to go out for yet another ride when my gf hasn't seen me all week. Of course all of this is just to keep up with the elite squad after 2 weeks on a beach!

Anyway - any funny examples, tips on how to escape domestic bliss?
Old 01-09-14, 10:16 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Liked 356 Times in 194 Posts
first i would take the elephant to the zoo. they are expensive and loud and will probably void your lease.

secondly, ask her to cycle with you.
Old 01-09-14, 11:29 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SGcyclist
Thought it would be quite funny to write about this today on my blog - after all I struggle sometimes to think of an excuse to go out for yet another ride when my gf hasn't seen me all week. Of course all of this is just to keep up with the elite squad after 2 weeks on a beach!

Anyway - any funny examples, tips on how to escape domestic bliss?
So how is your time allocated? Job 40+ hours/week plus commute say 50 hours total, 56 hours sleep, 10 hours meals, 14 hours cycling. So far that's only 130 hours out of 168. You've got to pay bills, do laundry, whatever.. Maybe night school working toward a law degree. What about video games? You could be an associate in a law firm which would definitely rule out a gf. If you value the relationship you'll make the time.
Old 01-10-14, 01:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
perhaps you need one of these: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...er-lounge-bike
Old 01-10-14, 01:23 AM
catonec 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
maybe try riding early mornings before work.

does the gf work hours that you have off?

maybe bribe her. hours of riding for night out, dinner/movie, household chores???

I work a 12 hour nightshift 5 or 6 nights a week, so its tough to find time to ride and golf. Plus we have a new baby well 9 mo's old. my riding has greatly decreased this past year but I get to ride for equal "mommy time away from baby".
Old 01-10-14, 03:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Rowan and I "met" on Bikeforums in early 2003, met in person the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200K in France later in 2003 ... cycling was what brought us together and we still cycle together.
Old 01-10-14, 07:05 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts

Old 01-10-14, 08:33 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Liked 1,543 Times in 807 Posts
Perfection...

Originally Posted by Machka
Rowan and I "met" on Bikeforums in early 2003, met in person the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200K in France later in 2003 ... cycling was what brought us together and we still cycle together.
Okay, so you two are perfectly matched. I mean it.

Married 30+ years here. It's always to have matching or co-aligned priorities with your spouse. Whatever those might be. If some activity isn't at least indirectly supporting a priority, it cannot take up more than it's share of the time and energy. That would be an out-of-balance life.

Quarterly questions like "what's important to you?" and "what do you think our priorities for the next year should be?" are good conversation starters. Build your plans around those, and you'll do okay.

It's best to find a cycling crazy person and marry him/her from the start, I'd venture, if cycling is your thing...
Old 01-10-14, 09:41 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK-
I will be the jerk-still early not fully tanked on coffee

But there are "numb penis" HRT fot men- Low T type threads here.
If you use a normal saddle-and you probably do because you are interested in speed-and riding in drops-much faster than riding upright
And even with a cutout-it is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to put ALL your weight on your "BUTTBONES"-and NONE on your perineum
You Might prefer riding the bike to "spending time" with your SO because you are not " fully competent"
in some ways- because of nerve artery damage.
And some suggestions that overtraining-aerobic overtraining- decreases that "DRIVE" perhaps decreases Testerone.
My POINT-jokingly- don't put any weight on your perineum-it wasn't "built" to support weight
Those who say it is a question of fit-are just WRONG- it is a question of weight in a delicate area not designed for it!
Old 01-10-14, 11:02 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Liked 3,470 Times in 1,968 Posts
One word: "tandem."
Old 01-10-14, 11:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
the Counterpoint is kind of like the lounge bike , but the stoker is in front in a recumbent seat.. w pedals.

captain/rider in upright seat, close enough to easily talk to each other during the ride.
Old 01-10-14, 11:31 AM
@work
Local 1212

Bikes: Moser Track, Colnago Dream Track, Merckx Roadie and Rossin Bar Bike

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
One word: "tandem."
Agreed!
Old 01-10-14, 11:39 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife got me into cycling. I've been doing it now for 8 years. Maybe ask her if she'd like to give it a try. Pick her up a nice used bike off craigslist for a couple hundred and see if she likes it.
Old 01-10-14, 11:45 AM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Okay, so you two are perfectly matched. I mean it.

Married 30+ years here. It's always to have matching or co-aligned priorities with your spouse. Whatever those might be. If some activity isn't at least indirectly supporting a priority, it cannot take up more than it's share of the time and energy. That would be an out-of-balance life…

It's best to find a cycling crazy person and marry him/her from the start, I'd venture, if cycling is your thing...

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… the honeymoon was a cross country bike trip from Los Angeles to Washington D.C. It was a great way to start married life, since every day we would have to find and set up a homestead for the night in a new environment where we only knew, and could depend on each other. I can remember two distinct times on that trip when either one of us hit low a point, and were bouyed up by the other; me in Kansas and she in Ohio.

BTW, that trip was 31 years ago and we're still together.
It’s now been 37 years. She doesn’t bike any more, but tolerates my commuting, even after a serious cycling accident last year. Our current mutual activity, besides the family, for the past 20 years has been social ballroom dancing.
Old 01-10-14, 08:39 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
My partner and I have been riding "twogether" for thirty years.
A couple observations,
help HER choose out her own bike, make sure it is equal or better quality than yours.
go places she wants, at her pace.
Plan off bike time with her.

Last edited by martianone; 01-12-14 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-10-14, 11:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,586 Posts
If I haven't seen my girlfriend in a week, the bike can wait!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-13-14, 02:52 AM
SGcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some interesting replies! Working on getting her out on the bike - went down to the bike shop last night in fact! I wrote some of the points up on blog......ummmm hope I can post as a form of reply!!! https://decaironman-training.com/2014...relationships/
Old 01-13-14, 06:34 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I had several girlfriends who cycled. My ex-wife though did not. So it all depends. I loved them all.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-13-14, 06:37 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
first i would take the elephant to the zoo. they are expensive and loud and will probably void your lease.
But elephants are so cool. How could a landlord refuse such a cute little guy as this?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-13-14, 12:46 PM
WebFootFreak

Bikes: Modified Denali

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
My wife and I work opposite shifts. I tend to run or take shorter rides around her schedule. When we are both off (and awake), I bring up riding quite a bit. We've only been out 3 times in the last 2 months, and I have to be careful what I say because she gets frustrated if she thinks she's keeping me from riding the way I like ("fast" and "far"). Thing is, I LOVE the time we're out riding together and can't wait to have the kids with us in the summer.
Old 01-13-14, 07:57 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
My wife has no interest in cycling, nags me about my cycling, but she brags to her friends about how far I cycle and commute ride.
Old 01-14-14, 10:29 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a few weeks in the summer, my wife tells me to take a long ride. It keeps me more balanced for a while. Winter is tougher, since the exercise bike / trainer doesn't do the same thing for me.
Old 01-14-14, 11:36 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Liked 299 Times in 250 Posts
Been married 21 years. Wife doesn't cycle. Cycling is "my" time. She has hers.
Old 01-14-14, 06:48 PM
Short Circuit

Bikes: 2010 Giant Defy 3, Older Norco 10 speed road bike, Giant ATX 840 Mountain Bike, West Coast Chopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started cycling last March as a means to lose weight. I was fully supported by my wife to the point where she wanted a bike to ride with me. And I really enjoy riding with her
But she still encourages me to ride without her because she knows she slows me down.
I also bought a couple of mountain bikes for us to try this year.

Mark
Old 01-14-14, 08:14 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts
I have my bikes, my wife has her horse. It's built-in permission for N+1, IF there's any money left after buying hay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.