Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

This is what I live for! This is why I climb! This is LIFE!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 07:49 PM
Hbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI3UNU_n50U Enough said!
Old 01-15-14, 07:55 PM
ConGrUenCy

Bikes: C'dale CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw the first couple of minutes and I noticed you're always braking while turning, instead of braking before the turn, and then coasting through the turn. Braking during the corner negatively affects your control.
Old 01-15-14, 08:03 PM
Hbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is not me, This is a fellow very skilled rider. Wait till he gets into the trees and you can really see his speed. He is passing cars and fellow riders like they are standing still.

I am fighting not to take my bike out now. nightime is not a good time to do a decent.

Last edited by Hbrown; 01-15-14 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 08:11 PM
grolby

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by ConGrUenCy
I saw the first couple of minutes and I noticed you're always braking while turning, instead of braking before the turn, and then coasting through the turn. Braking during the corner negatively affects your control.
Flat-out wrong.
Old 01-15-14, 08:34 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who cares? You kids gotta quite being a killjoy. HBrown is excited about the ride. Enjoy it with him.

FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 01-15-14, 09:19 PM
Long Tom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like going over 40-42 mph so steep descents aren't my thing. Perversely, it's the climbs I remember fondly.
Old 01-15-14, 09:39 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ConGrUenCy
I'm going along with Grolby on this. I think the guy in that video knows a great deal more about proper braking and cornering technique than anyone here. Although what he did is very, very risky, he did it very well. Must have a lot of faith in your tires/wheels/brakes to maintain that kind of speed and hurl it through corners like that. Thanks for posting this.
Old 01-15-14, 09:58 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Nice, nothing wrong with his braking to my eye, although he used all of the road on a couple of curves which is a bit unnerving.
There was a lot more traffic the day I rode that bit, but you pretty much have to pass the cars or you'll be on the brakes the whole way down.
Old 01-15-14, 10:01 PM
sbxx1985 

Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
82mph? Damn.
Old 01-15-14, 10:04 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts
82 is flying.. fastest I've gone (indicated) was 62 but that was down a fairly straight 3 lane highway in San Luis Obispo
Old 01-15-14, 10:12 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I knew the name looked familiar. This guy is a nut! I watched another one of his videos a while ago. This one is way scarier. Road is complete garbage and he's really risking killing himself and one of those peds in the vid. I'm impressed with his skills, and he does have brass balls, but lots of risk..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJcYWXkt9UE
Old 01-15-14, 10:13 PM
grolby

Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I'm going along with Grolby on this. I think the guy in that video knows a great deal more about proper braking and cornering technique than anyone here. Although what he did is very, very risky, he did it very well. Must have a lot of faith in your tires/wheels/brakes to maintain that kind of speed and hurl it through corners like that. Thanks for posting this.
Yeah, I more or less agree with this. And I love descending, so it's nice to see some cool video of someone doing it well.

To expand on my snippiness earlier: I don't know where this idea got started that the right technique is to do all braking prior to turning in and use no brakes at all during the turn, but it's just baloney. Maintaining some amount of braking through turn in and trailing it off up through the apex lets you carry FAR more speed through the turn, if you want to. It lets you do this because, by definition, you have more control over your speed, not less. Which means it's a good idea no matter how fast you're trying to descend. Trying to do all your braking before turning means you have to over brake for the turn, and if you actually didn't brake enough, rather than being able to scrub just a bit more speed and maybe swing just a bit wider, you're suddenly having to grab a big handful of brake and hope you don't go off the road.
Old 01-15-14, 10:14 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Balls out awesome...
Old 01-15-14, 10:17 PM
sbxx1985 

Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
Campy FTW.
Old 01-16-14, 03:40 AM
ConGrUenCy

Bikes: C'dale CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Yeah, I more or less agree with this. And I love descending, so it's nice to see some cool video of someone doing it well.

To expand on my snippiness earlier: I don't know where this idea got started that the right technique is to do all braking prior to turning in and use no brakes at all during the turn, but it's just baloney. Maintaining some amount of braking through turn in and trailing it off up through the apex lets you carry FAR more speed through the turn, if you want to. It lets you do this because, by definition, you have more control over your speed, not less. Which means it's a good idea no matter how fast you're trying to descend. Trying to do all your braking before turning means you have to over brake for the turn, and if you actually didn't brake enough, rather than being able to scrub just a bit more speed and maybe swing just a bit wider, you're suddenly having to grab a big handful of brake and hope you don't go off the road.
Fair enough, makes sense, thanks for expanding on your previous post. I'd love to hear more about this from other experienced riders.
Old 01-16-14, 05:47 AM
VFerreira

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hbrown
Thanks. The guy has a really nice downhill bike:

Old 01-16-14, 06:08 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
about the 7 minute mark, that guy was flying!!!!!!
Old 01-16-14, 10:56 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VFerreira
Thanks. The guy has a really nice downhill bike:

Just think, if he had rim brakes instead of those clunky, non-aero discs, he coulda hit 84mph!!!!

After all, disc is just a fad...

lmao
Old 01-16-14, 11:00 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Wish youtube wasn't blocked here at the office.
Old 01-16-14, 11:51 AM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I can't tell positively from the vid when he's braking, as it's possible to pull the levers without braking and it's pretty common to hold the levers at a point just before engagement. Of course available traction is split between braking and corning forces, so maximum braking is only achievable upright and max corning speed (max centripetal acceleration) only without braking.
Old 01-16-14, 11:55 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
how long did it take him to climb all that? An elevation profile would be great

nermind\
https://www.cyclingthealps.com/profile/mont-ventoux.html

Last edited by spectastic; 01-16-14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-16-14, 12:17 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From his shadow it looked like he was swinging his inside knee out in the turns. Must be a habit from riding a motorcycle down similar roads. Bombing down hills like that feels too risky to me.

It's also interesting he has disc brakes. I've heard road bike discs don't have enough mass to handle the heat generated on long descents like that.
Old 01-16-14, 12:34 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
You could always hitch a ride to the top, y'know.

Originally Posted by Dunbar
I've heard road bike discs don't have enough mass to handle the heat generated on long descents like that.
My understanding is: If you have the right setup and technique -- use large enough rotors, calipers with sufficient heat dissipation, use the correct combination of pads and rotors, and don't drag on the brakes -- you should be fine. Plus, the tires are less likely to blow off the rim.

If you do not have the right setup, you'll have issues with heat dissipation. The pads can glaze and/or hydraulic fluid can boil, resulting in brake fade.
Old 01-16-14, 02:12 PM
Long Tom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hbrown
At 82 mph..... that's life, that's what you LIVE for.... until it ain't, and you are dead in a tangled mess of bicycle and flesh.

Dude is nuts. Skilled, but nuts.
Old 01-16-14, 02:44 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Liked 1,998 Times in 1,419 Posts
He's at terminal velocity most of the way, doesn't brake all that much. Discs probably nice for modulation. Knee out in the turns at those speeds fine, aerodynamic braking, takes load off the tires, adds a turning moment. What bugs me is that speed through the tree shadows. Road is not in perfect condition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.